Reinstalled alternator/ stator cover..now rattles - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reinstalled alternator/ stator cover..now rattles

So I removed my right crankcase a few weeks and and 2-toned it black and red and finally got around to doing the other side (alternator cover)..reinstalled it and took it for a quick spin around my neighborhood and could feel/ hear the alternator itself rattling a bit. NOTE: I am a dumbass and I misplaced the little bracket that sits inside next to the alt. holding the wire down......Could that be my issue or did I trash my alternator taking it in and out? Please anyone with similar experiences or known, chime in and help a brother out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02gsxxr View Post
you know that point right where you feel your stomach tense up and you think your gonna flip over.... that's Balance point
04' 600rr Originally white/black; now Red/Black
-Red 520 chain, black Driven -1 +2 sprockets, K&N filter, Black/red CNC shortie adj. levers, Diablo tires, rebuilt forks; painted black

Clutch up; or shut up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

and also if anyone knows where I can get a new bracket that'd help!! Couldn't find it on bikebandit

Quote:
you know that point right where you feel your stomach tense up and you think your gonna flip over.... that's Balance point
-Red 520 chain, black Driven -1 +2 sprockets, K&N filter, Black/red CNC shortie adj. levers, Diablo tires, rebuilt forks; painted black

Clutch up; or shut up
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I also do have a clip off the rattling but i'm not able to post it so I can email it to whoever if it helps at all, thanks!

Quote:

Clutch up; or shut up

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Have you opened it back up to take a look yet?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Have you opened it back up to take a look yet?
no, I havent yet...I just went for another ride and it only rattles when i'm not on the gas....and it become a lot less "rattley" than the first quick spin....could it be a lack of oil in there at first??

Quote:

Clutch up; or shut up
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Are you certain you put the stator coils back in the right way? If you flipped it over, the connecting wires can get flayed by the flywheel. If that happened, you'll know soon enough (your battery won't be charging)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Are you certain you put the stator coils back in the right way? If you flipped it over, the connecting wires can get flayed by the flywheel. If that happened, you'll know soon enough (your battery won't be charging)
hmm well not that you say that..I DID have to push start it the first time and but i've also been doing led's in my gauge cluster so that could be the culprit for the dead battery? The way I put it back in looks like the way it should be though, according to how the wire sat inside so nicely.

Also...not that it's (most likely not related) she was spewing out a decent amount of white smoke even at the end of my 3 minute journey....praying it's not a head gasket bc it didn't really smell like it.

Quote:

Clutch up; or shut up
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

The only reason I bring up that is because I had someone else reinstall my stator, and they flipped it so that the wires routed towards the engine instead of the cover. The flywheel tore apart the leads and so I wasn't charging my battery, luckily there didn't seem to be much fallout beyond some small pieces of copper wiring in the flywheel. If one is unlucky, these pieces could get into the engine oil and run around inside your engine... not saying that's what happened but it's something to think about.

I know it's a pain to do, but pulling the cover to visually inspect may at least narrow things down. Also, you used new liquid gasket when you reinstalled the cover right? If you used too much, some may have gotten into the oil when you torqued the cover down. Gasket should be used sparingly so the flash from the compression doesn't squeeze it out into the inside.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
The only reason I bring up that is because I had someone else reinstall my stator, and they flipped it so that the wires routed towards the engine instead of the cover. The flywheel tore apart the leads and so I wasn't charging my battery, luckily there didn't seem to be much fallout beyond some small pieces of copper wiring in the flywheel. If one is unlucky, these pieces could get into the engine oil and run around inside your engine... not saying that's what happened but it's something to think about.

I know it's a pain to do, but pulling the cover to visually inspect may at least narrow things down. Also, you used new liquid gasket when you reinstalled the cover right? If you used too much, some may have gotten into the oil when you torqued the cover down. Gasket should be used sparingly so the flash from the compression doesn't squeeze it out into the inside.
idk man i'm like 99.99% sure I placed it in the correct way but looks like I don't have any other options to take it off tomrw and further inspect it. Other than that, and a slipping clutch that needs to be replaced it rode fine...although I didn't get on her like normal due to the ridiculous amount of salt/gravel on the roads for snow. And yes I did use liquid gasket..maybe a bit much.. I used a toothpick to smooth it down enough to make a complete seal.

Quote:

Clutch up; or shut up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page