copper sparkplugs in iridium specified engine? - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Husted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 18
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
copper sparkplugs in iridium specified engine?

Hi all,

As far as I know the reason for Iridium spark plugs is specified in a stock engine is because of the service interval.
Furthermore Iridium is more resistant on high performance engines (with much higher compression than stock).

I will postulated that copper is the most electric leading material for spark plugs and if the service interval doesn't matter for me. I think I will choose those copper ones. Of course with same thread size and heating range as original specified. They are cheaper to.

So here is my question: Have anyone tried this or does anyone have some concerns about it?

My bike is a cbr600rr 2007 specified with NGK IMR9-9HES
and I will like to use NGK CR9EIX

I am a new user, looking forward to hear your comments. Thanks in advance.
Husted86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 07:09 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
Miweber929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 1,957
Thanks: 199
Thanked 563 Times in 444 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've done it with other bikes in the past that called for iridium and have heard, felt and seen no difference in using the copper ones.

Having said that I personally buy what is called for by the manufacturer every time now; the wallet sting only last a short time and digging them in and out sucks enough I don't want to do it any more than I have to.

Keep in mind, though, the plugs are tiny, the head is aluminum and the thread pitch very fine so they are easy to cross thread and over tighten. The more you take them in and out the easier it is to get it wrong and, well, you know the rest.

Mike
Miweber929 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
Husted86 (06-09-2015)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
TheX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 14,338
Images: 2
Thanks: 129
Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
The more you take them in and out the easier it is to get it wrong and, well, you know the rest.
This is so true.
TheX is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
Husted86 (06-09-2015)
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Pocketbike Racer
 
thro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 445
Thanks: 63
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Iridium is specified because changing plugs is a pain in the ass.

Why do you want to use copper? Iridium last many many times longer.

2007 Honda CBR600RR: Akrapovic slip-on, HEL braided lines, ASV shorties
2009 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol: Sato rear-sets, Taylormade slip-on, Pazzo Shorties
1996 Suzuki RGV 250 - Arrow pipes
thro is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to thro For This Useful Post:
Husted86 (06-09-2015)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
Miweber929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 1,957
Thanks: 199
Thanked 563 Times in 444 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thro View Post
Why do you want to use copper? Iridium last many many times longer.
Not to answer for the OP but my guess is while he is mentioning the electrical properties of copper, it's cost: copper plugs are like $5 each, iridium are about $20 each.

Mike
Miweber929 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
Husted86 (06-09-2015)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Husted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 18
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks everybody.

The reason why i considering using copper ones is that they are cheaper but also because in theory the spark should be better. Copper is a better electric conductor then most materials including iridium and platinium.
So performance wise it should be better. Copper is less resistant to heat and wear therefore the service interval is lower. But for me it is no problem to change them every season.

Thanks for the inputs. as far i can see i am not completely wrong ;)
Husted86 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
thro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 445
Thanks: 63
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Not to answer for the OP but my guess is while he is mentioning the electrical properties of copper, it's cost: copper plugs are like $5 each, iridium are about $20 each.

Mike
Yeah, and iridium last like 8x as long. It's a no brainer.

But hey, if you like taking your bike apart to replace spark plugs for fun, go for it.

I'd rather save the money and stop wasting my time, to boot.



edit:
you know it's only iridium on the tip, right?

#justthetip

2007 Honda CBR600RR: Akrapovic slip-on, HEL braided lines, ASV shorties
2009 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol: Sato rear-sets, Taylormade slip-on, Pazzo Shorties
1996 Suzuki RGV 250 - Arrow pipes

Last edited by thro; 06-09-2015 at 12:44 PM.
thro is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
FightingChance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,043
Thanks: 0
Thanked 700 Times in 601 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The performance envelope of the engine and ECU is designed around a controlled plug; I'd never go outside the material or range unless I had engine work done and knew what I was doing.
FightingChance is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 PM
BOTM Winner 07/14
 
tornado bait's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: K.C.
Posts: 996
Images: 17
Thanks: 34
Thanked 59 Times in 49 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
When Erion built my engine they installed copper plugs.

cr9ek if anyone is interested in the exact plug

Vortex, Tucker Rocky, Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, E4S
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing

Last edited by tornado bait; 06-11-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: additional info
tornado bait is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
OzMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Townsville, Australia
Posts: 1,943
Thanks: 55
Thanked 283 Times in 245 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would use whatever is recommended in the service manual.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:
OzMoto is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
OveRReV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Islas de Filipinas
Posts: 6,774
Images: 16
Thanks: 407
Thanked 396 Times in 337 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
NGK CR9EIX is an iridium tipped spark plug just like the original NGK IMR9C-9HES, I've used the CR9EHIX9 before switching to the original after it started to misfire, bought a CR10EIX plugs because I need colder for my modded engine.


2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
OveRReV is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Husted86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 18
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OveRReV View Post
NGK CR9EIX is an iridium tipped spark plug just like the original NGK IMR9C-9HES, I've used the CR9EHIX9 before switching to the original after it started to misfire, bought a CR10EIX plugs because I need colder for my modded engine.
So there is no difference between those two?
Husted86 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 10:54 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Bridge_Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Land O' Cheese
Posts: 7,440
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husted86 View Post
But for me it is no problem to change them every season.
Lol you say that now..... wait until you try and change them with the engine still in the bike.....

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
Bridge_Jumper is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Maynard
 
JohnDoubleR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CO
Posts: 7,033
Thanks: 1,162
Thanked 903 Times in 798 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nitpicking here. I'm pretty sure you're talking about the IMR9E-9HES not IMR9-9HES because the latter isn't listed in my NGK catalog. The IMR9C-9HES are a tad cheaper than the IMR9E-9HES..

Otherwise all IMR9E-9HES, IMR9C-9HES, CR9EIX and CR9EHIX9 have iridium tips and copper core material

2W1R

2012 M1100 EVO
JohnDoubleR is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
OveRReV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Islas de Filipinas
Posts: 6,774
Images: 16
Thanks: 407
Thanked 396 Times in 337 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husted86 View Post
So there is no difference between those two?
internally there are none, externally it's quite obvious.


NGK CR9EIX & CR10EIX are full thread sparkplugs.






the last 2 are 2/3 thread sparkplugs which are exclusive for Honda CBR.


2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
OveRReV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome