Thinking about engine mods - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about engine mods

I heard some stuff about shaving the heads, for compression and stuff and am debating on doing this. Im in the process of gutting my intake and I have an exhaust. My question is, what are some not costly engine mods?(shaving heads, piston work, etc). I dont want to sacrifice reliability at all so any input would help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsolsen333 View Post
I dont want to sacrifice reliability
Then you shouldn't dig into the engine like this. To be honest there's not a lot off applications beyond drag strips and MotoAmerica where this kind of modding has any kind of value.
The Following User Says Thank You to FightingChance For This Useful Post:
jawsolsen333 (06-18-2015)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
not costly engine mods?
These words usually cannot be in the same sentence. Define "not costly". Some people see $800-$1000 as cheap, others see $100 as costly.

You would be looking at a few k for decent engine mods. Maybe a PCV would be the only thing I would do to my bike with the exhaust and -1/+2 to smooth out the curve.

Track time, learning to ride the bike as efficiently as possible would be more beneficial and rewarding than wasting money on engine work.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:
The Following User Says Thank You to OzMoto For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There's no replacement for displacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Training Wheel Hero

generally speaking if you want more power, buy a liter bike. modern I-4 liter bikes arnt much heavier than their 600 counterparts and some can be had for around the same price as a sixxer.

that being said motor work isnt pointless. it isnt cheap though depending on the extent of the build. however it isnt necessarily a sacrifice to reliability. horsepower is expensive. a bike right out of the crate usually has some compromises to fueling and exhaust in regards to emission and noise regulations so its easy to free up anywhere from 2-10hp depending on the bike, with pipes and a power commander running a good tune. anything beyond that and your looking at lots of money for marginal gains. especially if you arnt able to do the work yourself. its not the parts but the labor that will kill your wallet.

ive done a couple 1000cc vtwin motors with JE high comp pistons and some cams from WebCams. i ended up gaining around 15 rwhp after it was all tuned. i did all the work myself though so it was only the parts i was paying for and i really did it mostly for fun.

a stage 1 type motor build with a full system, power commander & custom map, high comp pistons, and a set of cams would be sweet on the cbr and if done right would be no less reliable than a stock motor plus you could freshen up the motor while your in their and replace all the bearings. but gaskets and rings and everything really adds up quick and then labor on top of it all if you cant do it yourself and your easily talking about a serious investment.

if you really want more power sell your bike and buy a 1000rr. much easier. although personally i am of the opinion that 99 out of 100 guys cant ride a cbr 250 to its absolute limit, much less a 600. then the guys who think they need a liter bike because the 600's are two slow are really dreaming. plus most of these guys have never set foot on a race track, so i would love to see where it is that they are at the limits of a 600 on the street. the fastest ever time at willow springs big track was set by steve rapp 15 or so years ago on a 749RS. granted that 749RS is basically a full factory race bike putting out around 135hp to the rear wheel, but still it is not a 180rwhp 1299 panigale with all kinds of electronic rider aids. point being is that going fast has a lot more to do with a properly set up bike and the rider on it than it does to do with power.

personally id invest that money in my suspension. really well set up suspension = confidence. confidence = fast.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jscobey For This Useful Post:
Ethan666 (07-07-2015), hero danny (06-21-2015), jawsolsen333 (06-18-2015), sameh90 (06-19-2015), tary preisser (06-18-2015)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Proper setup, and trackdays will do more than engine mods. Many of us here have proven that, over and over.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

true true. Just was curious. But yeah if its a few grand for stuff like that, its not even worth it. I'm trying to keep my mind off getting a 1000 because I know I dont need it. The 600 is plenty fast for me so thats why I do mods to my bike to keep my mind at ease lol. I have a two bros, then the mjs cat delete pipe, along with a bazzaz i've been waiting to throw on. I've also been hearing about the suspension upgrades but havent digged enough to know what I can really do. But I agree with everything said above
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

I hear after a good tune the bike will feel a bit transformed (I have a Bazzaz I need to install too)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:38 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
I've also been hearing about the suspension upgrades but havent digged enough to know what I can really do.
suspension is always the first thing i do on any of my bikes. it transforms the bikes handling and you will ride so much faster because of it. an ohlins shock with the correct spring for your weight and riding style is the best way to go for the rear. there are other brands that are cheaper and still work really well. and as for the front i would do springs and a revalve for your weight and riding style. the bike will work with you instead of fighting you. suspension is key to riding at an elevated pace. that and riding on good tires set to the proper PSI will be the best things you can do while on a budget.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

****, an ohlins shock is like 1500 ha. Not that I couldn't afford it but ****, thats expensive for a shock. any other brands?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

Get a used Penske.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:05 AM
Training Wheel Hero

if you buy used then it would probably need a rebuild which costs money plus you would most likely need to change the spring rate on it which cost more money. better off getting a new unit and pretty much anywhere you buy it from will put the correct rate spring for you on it at no extra charge. penske and fox shocks are good. theres a reason the ohlins is so expensive though. the TTX is an incredible shock.

but the question is what do you use the bike for? track days? canyons? commuting? youll spend more money to get more performance out of your suspension but if you dont need as much performance you dont need to spend as much money. you can even get your stock shock revalved and sprung for your weight and have something that works much better for you than it currently is. and you can do springs in your forks for around $120 if you didnt want to do any valving.
The Following User Says Thank You to jscobey For This Useful Post:
jawsolsen333 (06-25-2015)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscobey View Post
if you buy used then it would probably need a rebuild which costs money plus you would most likely need to change the spring rate on it which cost more money. better off getting a new unit and pretty much anywhere you buy it from will put the correct rate spring for you on it at no extra charge. penske and fox shocks are good. theres a reason the ohlins is so expensive though. the TTX is an incredible shock.

but the question is what do you use the bike for? track days? canyons? commuting? youll spend more money to get more performance out of your suspension but if you dont need as much performance you dont need to spend as much money. you can even get your stock shock revalved and sprung for your weight and have something that works much better for you than it currently is. and you can do springs in your forks for around $120 if you didnt want to do any valving.
Yeah, thats true. ****, nothing major. I'd much more rather set up my stock suspension for my weight. 132 pounds. I believe the bike is set up for riders that are 160 stock if im not mistaken. So sometimes it feels a bit stiff
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Knee Dragger

High compression cams!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0nng View Post
High compression cams!
I looked at that stuff, it was like 800 bucks. **** all that lol
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:09 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0nng View Post
High compression cams!
Please explain. Cams can only affect the dynamic compression and to increase that would require cams with less overlap which would lower the HP of the motor.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mill the head .006", install Cometic .018" head gasket, clean up the ports, degree the stock cams, add pcv, air filter & full system & you'll see some decent gains.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
looking to add new fork springs

plan on adding new springs when I rework seals and what not, what brand would you recommend? Im 168 6'1 if that matters. also any particular fork seal kit better then the other? thanks this is my first home attempt at fork work.

full Yoshi rs-5
PC3
hid conversion
woodcraft sliders
vortex sprokets
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Heard fine things about Sonic Springs, Traxxion Dynamics springs, Ohlins springs. K-tech is probably fine too. Sonic and Traxxion are American companies so it will be easier to get the springs. Someone said Race Tech's springs are not cut to the right length and require some extra work. Honestly I am not enthused about Race Tech's street bike offerings much at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page