Low Compression - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low Compression

I'm getting my bike serviced and my dealer is telling me they checked two cylinder's and one is at 178 psi and the other is at 100 psi. He said it's going to be another $500 in labor to get in the engine I guess, and this is after they already changed the fuel pump and spark plugs... they're really f'ing me over on this it seems. I'm going to try to get the money back for the fuel pump because it was always priming and in my ignorance I let them change it out anyway.

Can I get some comments on this situation please? I don't know what need to be done about engine compression problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
could be rings, could be valves, hard to say. if you're getting 100psi, i'm leaning towards rings. you wont know what the issue is until you perform a leak down test to find out where all the pressure is going. if it's going into the air box, or exhaust, it's the valves. if it's going into the crank case, it's the rings. IF it's going into the coolant, then it's the head. gasket or cylinder wall...

either way, that motor has to come out. sorry bud.

Last edited by ccs907; 09-24-2015 at 05:09 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:17 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs907 View Post
could be rings, could be valves, hard to say. if you're getting 100psi, i'm leaning towards rings. you wont know what the issue is until you perform a leak down test to find out where all the pressure is going. if it's going into the air box, or exhaust, it's the valves. if it's going into the crank case, it's the rings. IF it's going into the coolant, then it's the head. gasket or cylinder wall...

either way, that motor has to come out. sorry bud.
Or there dirty rotten liers and yout bikes fine. Prolly a 50 50 shot at either. I have a trust issue with dealerships and service centers.. you should too.

Did the bike feel down on power?

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 07:07 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is this the same place that replaced your fuel pump on a whim a couple weeks ago? If it is, take your bike somewhere else. They don't know what's wrong with it, and they are probably just too lazy to figure it out, so they would rather replace every part on the bike than find and fix the faulty one. Take it to a well-reviewed independent shop. They tend to do a better job because they actually have to compete for your business.
Also definitely see about getting a refund on the labor for the fuel pump. It was an unnecessary replacement, seeing as it did not solve the issue. You probably won't get your money back for parts because they can claim that your old one was "going bad anyway."
Whatever you decide to do, take it to a different shop - independent or dealership - and don't tell them what the other shop said. Tell them just to diagnose it. If they come back with the same answer, it's safe to say that's the problem. If they come back with something completely different, then you have some more investigating to do.

Best of luck, and I hope you get this figured out and back on the road.

2006 CBR600RR - First and current bike
2000 Subaru Outback - First and current cage
1982 CB650SC - Fixed and sold

System: Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3570k @4.4, 2x7950 CF, 16GB 1600MHz, Maximus V Formula, 2xWD Black 1TB raid0, WD Red 2TB, 840 Evo 240GB, Corsair AX850
Watercooling: Swiftech MCP655 pump, Swiftech Apogee HD CPU, 2xSwiftech Komodo 7950, Stock motherboard block, Custom reservoir, 2xAlphacool UT60 240, Alphacool XT45 360

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Ok I am surprised no one mentioned it yet, but, why the fvck would a mechanic check the compression of only two cylinders on a four cylinder engine, then suggest they do the necessary work to fix the low compression issue? Why wouldn't they check all 4 cylinders?

Don't get me wrong. I am no mechanic, but I know my way around cars and bikes fairly well. I would think they would want to check the compression on all four cylinders first.

Maybe once they discover one is low, they would decide to do the same work on all cylinders?

Either way; seems fishy to me.

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 11:35 AM
BOTM Winner 07/14

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Get your bike the F out of that shop. If you are truly concerned whether it is running properly take it to a reputable mechanic and have him do a leak-down test and compression on all four cylinders. Leak-down will tell if you much more than just compression test. If your valves need adjusting and aren't closing properly it could affect compression test. There are too many factors that are easily fixed that impact compression test. A good mechanic will know what to look for. And it may be nothing other than carbon build up in one of your intake or exhaust ports. Too many possibilities to cover here.

Vortex, Tucker Rocky, Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, E4S
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mran556 View Post
Or there dirty rotten liers and yout bikes fine. Prolly a 50 50 shot at either. I have a trust issue with dealerships and service centers.. you should too.

Did the bike feel down on power?
No, it didn't feel down on power when it was still running.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tec crx View Post
Ok I am surprised no one mentioned it yet, but, why the fvck would a mechanic check the compression of only two cylinders on a four cylinder engine, then suggest they do the necessary work to fix the low compression issue? Why wouldn't they check all 4 cylinders?

Don't get me wrong. I am no mechanic, but I know my way around cars and bikes fairly well. I would think they would want to check the compression on all four cylinders first.

Maybe once they discover one is low, they would decide to do the same work on all cylinders?

Either way; seems fishy to me.
He said they couldn't get to it because the frame is blocking it. I'm not sure, but sounds like laziness.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:33 PM
BOTM Winner 07/14

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
FYI on the fuel pump. It may still be priming, but not supplying sufficient pressure for your bike to run properly at higher throttle opening. I replaced two in my race bikes for $50 each. You can get the pump motor separately and the whole pump assembly literally snaps together. In my case I had some debris on the pick-up screen and also found water in the tank. A little DIY in these cases can save you tons of $ and is a great way to learn about your bike.

Vortex, Tucker Rocky, Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, E4S
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBlue View Post
He said they couldn't get to it because the frame is blocking it. I'm not sure, but sounds like laziness.

Definitely laziness!

I have done a basic compression test on my bike. It's no more difficult than changing the plugs. And the frame is not in the way (07).

BTW: I was rounding 170 on all four

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well, I'm going in today to basically tell them...
A. You guys are wasting my time because you never contact me after somethings is done, just make me wait, and I have to call you every time (while I'm in the process of moving!)
B. You're screwing me over by just replacing parts without troubleshooting first
C. You straight up lied to me about the fuel pump (they said it's not working at all even though I could hear it priming)
D. I'm taking it to a mechanic that will actually diagnose the problem before replacing everything

I'm thinking I should tell them that I'm not paying for the labor unless a judge tells me I have to, and then see how they respond?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
yeah, sure, you could try that...

ccs907
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page