CBR600F4i Rebuild Question - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CBR600F4i Rebuild Question

Good Morning everyone. I am a part of a student racing team at the University of Western Ontario in Canada and I have a couple simple questions regarding engine cleaning/rebuilding. I have attached a picture showing a CBR600F4i engine that we have recently disassembled.

We found excessive carbon build-up in on the pistons, the tops of the cylinders, and in the exhaust ports. What is the cause of this carbon build up? From what i've read online it could be due to the previous owner running the bike at lower loads and not letting her ever see some high revs.

Also, what would be the best way to clean off the pistons without damaging the cylinder wall, and to clean the exhaust ports without disassembling the cylinder head? We tested some varsol on old pistons we had around the shop and it seemed to remove the carbon pretty well, but the concern is that the varsol will seep down past the rings in to the case. Also, I can't think of a way to clean the ports without causing varsol to get stuck in the valve seat.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: some more pictures of piston carbon build up:

Last edited by leif20; 02-06-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've had good luck with carb cleaner and a stuff brush (non metal) or you could try kerosene as well. It looks like an engine that was run at low loads for a long time or possibleit was run with poor quality fuel. It doesn't look like oil, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you use as long as you try to contain it and flush the motor out a few times before starting.

I'd clean it up, run it and pull the head off after a while to see what it looks like. My guess is it'll look great.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Probably ran 91octane causing incomplete combustion which is a great way to carbon up an engine. Use whatever you want then just change the oil if your worried about contamination.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Training Wheel Hero

While i am no high level mechanic or anything like that, i use this product for cleaning my firearms. Even after thousands of rounds, this stuff easily removes built up carbon. I know its not directly the same, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Breakthrough® Clean Advanced Cleaning Technology

War Eagle
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Official Dealer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I seen and used standard Automatic transmission fluid to clean up carbon or stuck pieces, I had a older Honda Foreman that a older gent brought to me, this thing never saw past maybe a 1/16 more of a throttle opening, and he must have ran 89 or 91 in it, cause only after about 600 miles, the valves intake tract was so gummed up with carbon the valves would not seat right. Took the head off and with a stiff plastic brush and some ATF fluid the stuff started to come off almost dissolve off, then into the spirits tank to clean that off and it was 100X better then when I took it off. ATF is a detergent and a lucubration agent.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda East Toledo View Post
I seen and used standard Automatic transmission fluid to clean up carbon or stuck pieces, I had a older Honda Foreman that a older gent brought to me, this thing never saw past maybe a 1/16 more of a throttle opening, and he must have ran 89 or 91 in it, cause only after about 600 miles, the valves intake tract was so gummed up with carbon the valves would not seat right. Took the head off and with a stiff plastic brush and some ATF fluid the stuff started to come off almost dissolve off, then into the spirits tank to clean that off and it was 100X better then when I took it off. ATF is a detergent and a lucubration agent.
Im curious about this one. Did you clean the head without disassembling it? What did the valve seats look like afterwards?
Or is the only way to clean out a head to disassemble it first?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Official Dealer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I took it all apart, valves were fine, seats were fine, cleaned it up and put a set of seals in in and was fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page