06 cbr 600rr Clutch bolts stripped... - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 cbr 600rr Clutch bolts stripped...

Hey everyone, bought my first 06 cbr 600rr with 8k miles on it. I picked it up from the shop where the owner had the work done, i noticed new sealant around the clutch cover and they stated they "replaced the clutch because it was free spinning". So i took the bike for a ride and it rode good, all gears were smooth, no idling problems or acceleration problems. So i bought the bike, put about 80 miles on it and noticed a small oil leak coming from the clutch housing.So i get a wrench and make sure all of the bolts are tight. All of them were tight accept one where the oil seemed to be leaking out of..It was free spinning.Uh...oh..So I bring it in to Motoworld, our big bike shop here in San diego to have them reseal the clutch and possibly heli coil the free spinning bolt. They take off the cover to notice that the previous job that was done stripped out an additional 2 bolts making a total of 3 stripped clutch cover bolts. They said that 2 of the 3 had already been heli coiled before and can't be re Helicoiled. The third bolt they said can't be heli coiled due to its position. So now my 1 week old motorcycle that i bought has a clutch cover they said can't be tightened...and therefore the bike is not rideable. Any body know how to remedy the situation or is swapping out all the internals to a new engine housing my only option or buy a used engine? I messaged the previous owner who claims he had no idea about the clutch and he messaged the bike shop and they said "it wasn't leaking when it left here" So I'm left up creek without a paddle. any help or recommendations would be great. Super bummed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:16 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Oh wow that blows man. I was so paranoid not to over tighten those bolts too. You cant try to thread a bigger bolt in there??

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain
https://www.600rr.net/vb/176-rr-other-brands-bike-build/527578-seksas-track-build.html
04 CBR600rr Track bike partout : https://www.600rr.net/vb/106-03-06-rr-parts/581209-03-04-track-bike-part-out-pcv-yoyodyne-so.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hey bud, i haven't tried that yet...not sure if a bigger bolt will crack the engine housing or not..I read that trying teflon tape might be worth a try..but not sure if that will hold because of the pressure behind the bolt...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Find a good MIG/TIG welding shop....or a good machine shop.

They may be able to deposit material in stripped holes, and then rethread to OE size bolts.

Maybe.....?

Check Marine repair places also.....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks tary i will look into it :) Ill keep you posted on progress!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:21 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lots more options than simply heli coils, if that's all the shop you took it to can come up with find a new shop.

Timesert (?) I think is one that hold better, actually. As mentioned, welding is another option and probably the best or also as mentioned CAREFULLY drilling, tapping and installing the next size up bolt can be done too.

Find a local race shop and call them; racers are masters at issues like this.

EDIT: Yup, timesert it is: http://www.timesert.com

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list

Last edited by Miweber929; 03-12-2016 at 07:23 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
CrotchRocketeer (03-13-2016), tary preisser (03-12-2016)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 04:32 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Edit....

Id take the helicoil out, take the bike to a welding shop and fillup that hole/s (weld-patch it basically) and tap it.

Bring the bolt to pepboys and find out the right size of the bolt and buy right size for the tap and drill combo for. Buy 2 of those (at least) cuz the thread on the tap might go dull half way the process (this is when it becomes harder to hand twist).

Last edited by venomenon83; 03-12-2016 at 04:40 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks venom and weber ill be sure to look into those options this week! i sent an email out to a couple shops and hopefully can have it looked out this week!! thanks! safe ridings :)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 08:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm assuming these shops don't want to do it because they don't want to be liable. But those bolts should honestly only really be taking around 7 ft/lbs of torque. Should be fine pulling out the old helicoil and putting a new one in, we do it on C-130s. Honestly id just reinstall the bolts after filling the holes with sealant to help hold it, with a good clean surface and seal those bolts shouldn't be the reason its leaking at all. I mean we use a sealant called B 1/2, and on the B-1 we have air diverters/vortex generators literally just B 1/2 onto the jet, no rivets or fasteners through them, and we're talking about a Jet that goes well over 1500mph and they're a bitch to remove during isochronoical inspections.

2A7X3. Aircraft Structural Maintenance.

Any corrosion (Paint, priming, identification, etc) or Fabrication (Sheetmetal, Fiberglass, Tubing, etc)
questions, go ahead and ask and I'll do the best to respond to the best of my knowledge.

Current : '08 CBR1000RR 20160213
Wrecked: '05 CBR600RR 20151221 RIP

Crashes: 2 minor low speed lowsides, 1 50MPH impact.
Injuries: 0 Broken bones, possible tear in shoulder.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Maybe you could epoxy a few small studs in the casing and use nuts? That's an option if no one wants to weld the holes and re-tap. If 7 ft-lbs is the torque spec, like posted above, then almost anything you do could get that tight. Just my .02. Good luck!

I'm here so I don't screw anything up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page