Engine Mount Stripped Thread - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Mount Stripped Thread

Hey all,

This is my first post and after looking at a couple of the threads on here, there are some really, really cool people here willing to help one another with important advice.

I'm also a new rider and bought my first used bike about two months ago; a 2011 CBR600rr w/ 7900 miles on the odo at the time of purchase. Really clean, owner stuck to the maintenance intervals, and its never been dropped. The bike came with frame sliders and a couple other things. One day after riding I noticed that one of my frame sliders was missing. I ordered a pair of "Woodcraft" sliders to replace them and I noticed the ones that were on the bike must have been cheap, chinese made (no QA) sliders. Anyways, I got my new frame sliders, and when installing them I noticed they were ridiculously hard to install (beyond the manufacturer 40 ft lb torque spec). Took a quick look and the threads on the cheapo sliders stripped the aluminum block threads on the engine mount because they were M12 x 1.75 not M12 x 1.25. Also the previous owner did not have the aluminum collar spacers on to separate the engine from the frame. Just having shelled out $6k + you can imagine I am pretty pissed.

In order to fix the issue I ordered a Heilicoil kit (M12 x 1.25), Loctite Red, collar spacers from Honda, and a radiator stay arm that previously snapped off (connects bottom of radiator to engine casing). If you look at the pictures below, 1 - Top Engine Mount, 2 - Front Engine Mount (Stripped), 3 - Bottom Engine Mount. In order to do the Heilicoil, I need to move the engine out of the way of the frame mount point to get to the engine block. I am trying to avoid having to drop the engine out; so has anyone or know anyone that has been able to possibly remove support to two mounting points (1 & 2 in the picture) and pivot the engine on mount point 3? OR does anyone know of any other solutions?

Right side:
https://postimg.org/image/885pvpd5b/
Left side:
https://postimg.org/image/6ugy75b93/

Thanks in advance for your response.

Last edited by depikT; 08-22-2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Incorrect image number referencing. Link updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Maybe possible to salvage?

IF threads not ravaged down entire length????

Try chasing threads first with a correct size tap?????

Use lots of oil....flush hole every backturn....and make sure tap is straight as it starts to cut/chase threads.....

GL!

also ask wibbly OTF...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
I had a guy bring one into the shop with the same problem. I just ran a tap through it a few times and the new slider went in without a problem.. Make sure you lift up on the engine slightly while installing the new bolt, its super easy to get cross threaded and recreate your whole problem. I don't know how gone the threads are but I would try that before dropping the motor..

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the reply man. I will try to use a tap first to see if i can just clean out the crap thats in the threads already. If not I will go with a Heilicoil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page