2006 piston rings and head gasket job - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 piston rings and head gasket job

Hi all,
I'm taking on my biggest project on my cbr so far by breaking the engine apart to replace the piston rings and the head gasket. I have been forced to replace the head gasket but decided to do the piston rings as well. I have a manual and have the scope of the job figured out and pretty confident in being able to do it. I just wanted to know how far i really need to go to do the job? do the pistons have to come out or is simply getting to them sufficient enough to be able to replace the rings? The manual i have is a bit fuzzy on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 01:37 AM
Pocketbike Racer

The pistons have to come out to replace the rings.

You might be able to do all this with the engine in the bike but it would probably be easier to just drop the motor. On my old CBR600 f2 I had to drop the motor to fix a blown out spark plug thread. It wasn't that bad. I would recommend you look for a clymers service manual. I had one for my f2 and it was way more helpful than the service manual I have for the RR now (I got the pdf for free though so I can't complain too much...)

Let us know if you have questions. Take your time and take notes/pictures upon disassembly. Trust me they will come in handy.

EDIT: How did you manage to blow a head gasket and what makes you think you need new rings?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

what mileage do you have on the motor?

rings won't need replacing for gazillions of miles.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
The pistons have to come out to replace the rings.

You might be able to do all this with the engine in the bike but it would probably be easier to just drop the motor. On my old CBR600 f2 I had to drop the motor to fix a blown out spark plug thread. It wasn't that bad. I would recommend you look for a clymers service manual. I had one for my f2 and it was way more helpful than the service manual I have for the RR now (I got the pdf for free though so I can't complain too much...)

Let us know if you have questions. Take your time and take notes/pictures upon disassembly. Trust me they will come in handy.

EDIT: How did you manage to blow a head gasket and what makes you think you need new rings?
Well after hitting 120mph on the interstate and finding that my motor had 1.5 quarts more oil than it was supposed to have after getting an oil change i spoke to a few people and mechanics about the black smoke coming out of the tailpipe for a mile or so followed by white smoke and the two most likely culprits i was supplied with were the head gasket and or piston rings so i decided i may as well go ahead and do both since i have to take the whole upper portion of the bike apart anyways. The most likely issue being the head gaskets but i decided i may as well do both so i dont have the issue down the road after i put the bike back together.

Last edited by chancewenger97; 09-21-2017 at 01:41 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
what mileage do you have on the motor?

rings won't need replacing for gazillions of miles.
My 06 cbr has roughly 27k miles on it
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 01:54 AM
Pocketbike Racer

OK don't get ahead of yourself.

Did you drain the oil to within the acceptable range? If yes is it still smoking black/white smoke when you ride it?

Your bike is probably 100% OK. Check your coolant for oil and your oil for coolant. Keep on eye on fluid levels. Don't dive into this major project until you are 100% sure it needs it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it there is a crankcase breather that goes into the airbox. With the oil as overfull as you had, excess oil most likely went into the airbox, and got burned along with the air fuel mixture. This would cause the smoke you were seeing. Hopefully this was the cause of the smoke, and not bad piston rings or a blown headgasket. GET OIL TO PROPER LEVEL AND RIDE THE DAMN THING. You will know soon enough

Last edited by Honda-Power; 09-21-2017 at 02:01 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancewenger97 View Post
My 06 cbr has roughly 27k miles on it
so very unlikely that you need to replace the rings, even with your oil event.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:

Did you drain the oil to within the acceptable range? If yes is it still smoking black/white smoke when you ride it?

Your bike is probably 100% OK. Check your coolant for oil and your oil for coolant. Keep on eye on fluid levels. Don't dive into this major project until you are 100% sure it needs it.

EDIT: Now that I think about it there is a crankcase breather that goes into the airbox. With the oil as overfull as you had, excess oil most likely went into the airbox, and got burned along with the air fuel mixture. This would cause the smoke you were seeing. Hopefully this was the cause of the smoke, and not bad piston rings or a blown headgasket. GET OIL TO PROPER LEVEL AND RIDE THE DAMN THING. You will know soon enough
I did as you said and my bike was still spitting white smoke. I rode it for about 15 miles and it still constantly spit white smoke. I have already bought the gasket and piston rings but i probably can still return the piston rings.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

did you clean out the airbox?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
did you clean out the airbox?
Yes I cleaned the airbox as well.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Well **** you shouldn't still be blowing smoke then.

Did you do the oil change or did you have a shop do it? If a shop did it you should go to them and demand they fix the damages caused by their mistake.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Well **** you shouldn't still be blowing smoke then.

Did you do the oil change or did you have a shop do it? If a shop did it you should go to them and demand they fix the damages caused by their mistake.
Nope, that one is all on me. I did the oil change so I dug my own grave here. I started doing the project today and I'm happy i am doing it because I'm finding parts that need replacing anyway so its gonna make my bike run better and last longer in the end...An issue i just ran into though has halted my progress.
I can't seem to get the crankcase right covers cap for the timing chain and manual piston movement piece off so that I can put the pistons in their correct orientation to begin removing the crankshafts...I tried the correct mm 6 point socket but it is so stuck on there that i stripped it, so next I tried getting flat head wedge on it and turing it but that didnt work, so i moved to pretty much hammering a smaller socket onto the 6 point but that didnt work, then i moved to a drill out set but the damn thing is so stuck on there i cant seem to get it off. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow to help me do the engine and remove the cap.
Is there anyway I could just remove the crankcase cover and worry about the cap later without moving anything in there prematurely? This would allow me to move the pistons to their correct setting but i dont want to mess up anything by doing this sooner than im supposed to as the manual shows removing the crankshafts and then removing the crank case cover then the timing chain...Is this a set order?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You would also need new connecting rod bolts (8pcs) & main crankshaft bolts (10pcs, 8 short, 2 long) as they are torque to angle & one time use only.

You should use a thinner head gasket & squeeze more power from the engine, the CBR has low compression ratio compared to its rivals, check the head & cylinder deck for warpage, mill it flat if necessary.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I don't see why it would be a problem to just take the whole cover off.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveRReV View Post
You would also need new connecting rod bolts (8pcs) & main crankshaft bolts (10pcs, 8 short, 2 long) as they are torque to angle & one time use only.

You should use a thinner head gasket & squeeze more power from the engine, the CBR has low compression ratio compared to its rivals, check the head & cylinder deck for warpage, mill it flat if necessary.
The bolts are on the way :D. Well im just going to pull the whole case off honda power and go from there. Thanks guys
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So I did the full rebuild today ended up having not to use the piston rings and canceled the bolt order. The head gasket was blown and there was a mixture of oil and coolant still left on top of the pistons. Upon separating the crankcases and before removing the pistons and rods I noticed the rings looked hardly worn and very new compared to the rest of my engine. So I called up the previous owner. He originally told me he had some work done on the engine a few months before I got the bike from him. Apparently, some of that work consisted of a partial rebuild of the engine including new piston rings...Now the fact that they did not replace the head gasket has me completely baffled. After the previous owner gave me the shops info and the receipt I found that the shop has gone out of business due to multiple failures of customers bikes after rebuilds and work and has been sued into non-existence, go figure. At least I found my culprit and after an 8-hour long rebuild I now have peace of mind that my engine is in much better condition now, I understand more of how my bike works, and I will be back on the road in a week or so after a few cooling system parts come in.
Thanks all for your help.
On a side note if anyone needs a set of piston rings for an 06 cbr600rr and the job specific tools equaling about 160$ in value then I will be happy to bargain out a deal and save you some money. Will gladly ship if you cover the shipping costs.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 02:31 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Way to go sir! You made pretty quick work of that.

Funny the bike had a ring job done to it with such low mileage. It is very uncommon for such work to be required at such a premature age. I hope the repair works out well for you. I take it you did not have the cylinder head checked for warpage? I guess because the bike did not overheat and the head gasket only blew because of the excess oil you should be fine, but keep an eye on it!

Did you check the valve clearance while you were in there and if so how far out of spec were they if at all? I've been putting off a valve check on my bike for too long haha.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Way to go sir! You made pretty quick work of that.

Funny the bike had a ring job done to it with such low mileage. It is very uncommon for such work to be required at such a premature age. I hope the repair works out well for you. I take it you did not have the cylinder head checked for warpage? I guess because the bike did not overheat and the head gasket only blew because of the excess oil you should be fine, but keep an eye on it!

Did you check the valve clearance while you were in there and if so how far out of spec were they if at all? I've been putting off a valve check on my bike for too long haha.
Thank you sir! Had a bit of help from a friend but I've been working on my daily driver, my 2000 jeep wrangler for 6 years now and constantly, so I have a lot of hands on engine experience lol. I did not have the cylinder head checked because it seemed unnecessary due to the circumstances. The valves were just about dead on surprisingly for a bike with 27k miles on it I expected them to be off but it may have been done when the rings were. The receipt is very unclear as to exactly what was done.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

News rings would require at the very least honing the cylinders, meaning a complete engine tear down. You cant hone with a crankshaft sitting in the danger zone.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:43 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Great to read threads like this. Good work!

2007 Honda CBR125R
2004 Suzuki GS500F
2006 Honda CBR600RR
2000 Honda CBR929RR
2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So I was waiting on a back ordered radiator hose to come in and that arrived yesterday so I put it on today, filled the bike up with all fluids, and I got a new battery that I put in and the bike will not crank. The fuel pump is priming, the relay is good, the starter setup leading from the positive lead seems to be good but nothing else is happening. The bike isn't even attempting to crank. I'm going to probably pull the starter motor and check that tomorrow but that's all i got. Also when i pulled the battery out i noticed the wire going from the starter to the negative end on the battery was really hot, I attempted to crank it 5 or so times. Does this possibly mean the starter motor is getting stuck? When i put the motor back together i made sure the gear that connects to the main piston gear was in the correct orientation so i dont see why it would be stuck. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page