Does this idle sound normal? - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does this idle sound normal?

Hello, so I bought this 2004 CBR 600rr almost a week ago and the idle sounds a bit different than the other cbr's I have heard. I tried to adjust the idle but the screw seems to be messed up, it always returns to where it was when I turn it. The idle sounds a bit more lopey than other cbrs and the tachometer seems to bounce a bit and move around, it has a yoshi rs5 slip on. Just want to make sure the idle sounds normal. Here is the link to the video
https://youtu.be/Rtd0lxNlmxk (Not sure how to embed videos yet)
Phobia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 382
Thanks: 36
Thanked 99 Times in 87 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
Hello, so I bought this 2004 CBR 600rr almost a week ago and the idle sounds a bit different than the other cbr's I have heard. I tried to adjust the idle but the screw seems to be messed up, it always returns to where it was when I turn it. The idle sounds a bit more lopey than other cbrs and the tachometer seems to bounce a bit and move around, it has a yoshi rs5 slip on. Just want to make sure the idle sounds normal. Here is the link to the video
https://youtu.be/Rtd0lxNlmxk (Not sure how to embed videos yet)
Sounds ok to me, but if there is an issue, you might want to flash/tune your ECU for the pipe you have installed. Does the bike also have an aftermarket air filter? This also would require a tune. Another thing that can impact your idle are your valve clearances. You might want to check them, and adjust them.

What kind of gas do you have in the bike? Bad gas, or wrong octane for what the bike is tuned for could also cause some idle issues.
Axel Nut is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Nut View Post
Sounds ok to me, but if there is an issue, you might want to flash/tune your ECU for the pipe you have installed. Does the bike also have an aftermarket air filter? This also would require a tune. Another thing that can impact your idle are your valve clearances. You might want to check them, and adjust them.

What kind of gas do you have in the bike? Bad gas, or wrong octane for what the bike is tuned for could also cause some idle issues.
I do want to get a power commander eventually I'm still new to all of this, iirc a PC with a custom map is the same as flashing the ecu or am I wrong in thinking that? The bike definatelly seems to run a little rich I believe because you can smell gas and there is a little black soot in the pipe. I don't know if it has an aftermarket air filter, he said it was stock other than the pipe but that could be incorrect. I do not know when the last time the valves were adjusted, the bike has 40k on it (Probably a bit less than that because the original owner had it sproketed, and the owner before me returned it to stock.) so it might be time for that. Do you have to pull the head to inspect the clearances
Phobia is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:23 AM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 382
Thanks: 36
Thanked 99 Times in 87 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
I do want to get a power commander eventually I'm still new to all of this, iirc a PC with a custom map is the same as flashing the ecu or am I wrong in thinking that?
Yes, as I understand it, you would be incorrect - mostly. A power commander will piggyback, or "hijack" the ECM. A quick youtube video search will show you what is involved - it's not difficult. The main difference is you introduce a point of failure, and flashing the ECM allows you to control more bits and pieces of the bike. A power commander is good though, you must do one or the other when installing a new pipe (slip on (usually) or full exhaust), or even an aftermarket air filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
The bike definatelly seems to run a little rich I believe because you can smell gas and there is a little black soot in the pipe. I don't know if it has an aftermarket air filter, he said it was stock other than the pipe but that could be incorrect. I do not know when the last time the valves were adjusted, the bike has 40k on it (Probably a bit less than that because the original owner had it sproketed, and the owner before me returned it to stock.) so it might be time for that. Do you have to pull the head to inspect the clearances
The valves have never been adjusted on my '09 70k+ CBR - and I have abused the living crap out of it. I will probably inspect mine this winter. Again youtube will provide a much better picture of what needs to be done - I'm a noob wrencher, take my advice with a grain of salt.
Axel Nut is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:19 AM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Honda-Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 389
Thanks: 3
Thanked 126 Times in 107 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Idle sounds healthy brother!

Mine lopes like that too. I like it. You don't need a powercommander for just a slip on. Not worth it IMO for a bike of that age, assuming it runs good at the moment, which it sounds like it does. Change the air filter because it is probably dirty AF. Hiflofiltro or oem are both good options.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
Honda-Power is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hello fellow Floridian (nice under 21 tag)
Your idle sounds perfectly fine and when I got my bike I noticed the loping noise on many that I tested out. Everything sounds solid in the video and sounds good. I will admit that I ended up getting an '09 and it does lope like yours does in the video, however not to the extent yours does, however, still it seems completely fine. And with the exhaust it sounds really nice.
anovak is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
Idle sounds healthy brother!

Mine lopes like that too. I like it. You don't need a powercommander for just a slip on. Not worth it IMO for a bike of that age, assuming it runs good at the moment, which it sounds like it does. Change the air filter because it is probably dirty AF. Hiflofiltro or oem are both good options.
Thanks for the response, I like the lope I was just a little concerned because I haven't heard any other 600rr's that loped like that but glad to know im not alone lol. I will also definitely check out the air filter, it probably desperately needs to be changed if the chain cleanliness is anything to go off of. The bike runs great though for the 40k miles that it has, almost zero engine noise, no misfires, or stuttering. I think I might still get a power commander because to me the bike definitely seems to be running a bit rich, which is not necessarily a bad condition but I don't want the injectors to get gummed up or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anovak View Post
Hello fellow Floridian (nice under 21 tag)
Your idle sounds perfectly fine and when I got my bike I noticed the loping noise on many that I tested out. Everything sounds solid in the video and sounds good. I will admit that I ended up getting an '09 and it does lope like yours does in the video, however not to the extent yours does, however, still it seems completely fine. And with the exhaust it sounds really nice.
lol I knew someone would comment about the under 21 tag, I had no idea that was even a thing until I registered my first bike which is the shadow that can be seen in the video. I was just curious about the lope because the idle seems to be about 1300 when warm which is in-spec but every other bike I have heard has a "smoother" idle. Glad to know everything sounds normal to everyone, and in regards to the exhaust I absolutely love it. It is my favorite for my year of CBR, the only other exhaust I think might have a better sound is the Toce but they don't make it for the 2004.


Also, on a completely unrelated note, before I posted this I attempted to raise the idle using the screw to see if I could get a more consistent idle. The screw just keeps returning to the position it was at before I turned it and the idle doesn't change. This happens when trying to either raise or lower the idle, is something wrong with that cable? The bike also does not seem to do the auto choke to warm itself up, I don't know if that could be related to the idle screw issue? Thanks for the help
Phobia is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
Thanks for the response, I like the lope I was just a little concerned because I haven't heard any other 600rr's that loped like that but glad to know im not alone lol. I will also definitely check out the air filter, it probably desperately needs to be changed if the chain cleanliness is anything to go off of. The bike runs great though for the 40k miles that it has, almost zero engine noise, no misfires, or stuttering. I think I might still get a power commander because to me the bike definitely seems to be running a bit rich, which is not necessarily a bad condition but I don't want the injectors to get gummed up or anything like that.


lol I knew someone would comment about the under 21 tag, I had no idea that was even a thing until I registered my first bike which is the shadow that can be seen in the video. I was just curious about the lope because the idle seems to be about 1300 when warm which is in-spec but every other bike I have heard has a "smoother" idle. Glad to know everything sounds normal to everyone, and in regards to the exhaust I absolutely love it. It is my favorite for my year of CBR, the only other exhaust I think might have a better sound is the Toce but they don't make it for the 2004.


Also, on a completely unrelated note, before I posted this I attempted to raise the idle using the screw to see if I could get a more consistent idle. The screw just keeps returning to the position it was at before I turned it and the idle doesn't change. This happens when trying to either raise or lower the idle, is something wrong with that cable? The bike also does not seem to do the auto choke to warm itself up, I don't know if that could be related to the idle screw issue? Thanks for the help
Yeah I didn't realize I would get one too, but I understand because it is technically law for <21 years of age to wear helmets in Florida thus a cop doesn't need to question whether a rider without a helmet is <21 or >21 and pull someone over unnecessarily.

Yeah the lope is fine, below is a link to an idle video of my year ('09) (1:40-1:55) and you can see it does lope, just not to the extent of yours, but after watching videos of the '04-'06 models, it appears normal.

Based on your second paragraph there, something does appear to be wrong. I haven't had experience adjusting my idle rpm yet because my bike is only a month owned and it idles perfectly at 1400 and I have had no purpose to adjust it. However, I did adjust on my previous ninja 300 and you should be able to turn the knob to increase/decrease idle without the knob returning to position. And when you say auto choke itself when it warms up it will idle initially at 2000rpm and then go down to that 13-1500 range when it has warmed up? Or does it always just idle at 1300 rpm even from a cold start?
Also, if you ever have time to try this out (post #17) to see if you can actually adjust the idle this way because it may imply something is wrong the cable somewhere.
https://www.600rr.net/vb/62-troublesh...ml#post5513249
anovak is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by anovak View Post
Yeah I didn't realize I would get one too, but I understand because it is technically law for <21 years of age to wear helmets in Florida thus a cop doesn't need to question whether a rider without a helmet is <21 or >21 and pull someone over unnecessarily.

Yeah the lope is fine, below is a link to an idle video of my year ('09) (1:40-1:55) and you can see it does lope, just not to the extent of yours, but after watching videos of the '04-'06 models, it appears normal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uUtmrwa4HY

Based on your second paragraph there, something does appear to be wrong. I haven't had experience adjusting my idle rpm yet because my bike is only a month owned and it idles perfectly at 1400 and I have had no purpose to adjust it. However, I did adjust on my previous ninja 300 and you should be able to turn the knob to increase/decrease idle without the knob returning to position. And when you say auto choke itself when it warms up it will idle initially at 2000rpm and then go down to that 13-1500 range when it has warmed up? Or does it always just idle at 1300 rpm even from a cold start?
Also, if you ever have time to try this out (post #17) to see if you can actually adjust the idle this way because it may imply something is wrong the cable somewhere.
https://www.600rr.net/vb/62-troublesh...ml#post5513249
I forgot about the helmet law, I don't know why anyone wouldn't wear one but that is a topic for another day lol. I see what you are saying about the 04-06 lope. I just watched a bunch of year specific idles and that does seem to be about what mine does. I must have been watching videos of newer bikes because they sound like yours does. In regard to the cold start I believe it just starts from cold and goes to the idle that you see in the video. It definitely does not go to 2k rpm, stays right about 1300. I will definitely check out that "wax nut" thing that he is talking about whenever I get a chance. I would like to raise the idle to closer to 1400 just to see if that has an effect.
Phobia is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
I forgot about the helmet law, I don't know why anyone wouldn't wear one but that is a topic for another day lol. I see what you are saying about the 04-06 lope. I just watched a bunch of year specific idles and that does seem to be about what mine does. I must have been watching videos of newer bikes because they sound like yours does. In regard to the cold start I believe it just starts from cold and goes to the idle that you see in the video. It definitely does not go to 2k rpm, stays right about 1300. I will definitely check out that "wax nut" thing that he is talking about whenever I get a chance. I would like to raise the idle to closer to 1400 just to see if that has an effect.
It certainly is, yet I see more riders here without helmets than with helmets so... Yeah I am unsure as to what the purpose of the lope is, but it exists and seems more apparent on the older year models than newer and I never experienced it on my 300, but the CBRs all have it. And unfortunately I do not possess much knowledge of the innards of bikes aside from normal maintenance, but it does appear something is off there because when I start my car, my old ninja 300, the cbr 600 from a cold start, they generally idle at 2000 rpm then when warm go down to 1400 for the bikes and 900 for the car, but not entirely sure the purpose of this process. Keep me updated with any progress because I would love to know what's happening.
anovak is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by anovak View Post
It certainly is, yet I see more riders here without helmets than with helmets so... Yeah I am unsure as to what the purpose of the lope is, but it exists and seems more apparent on the older year models than newer and I never experienced it on my 300, but the CBRs all have it. And unfortunately I do not possess much knowledge of the innards of bikes aside from normal maintenance, but it does appear something is off there because when I start my car, my old ninja 300, the cbr 600 from a cold start, they generally idle at 2000 rpm then when warm go down to 1400 for the bikes and 900 for the car, but not entirely sure the purpose of this process. Keep me updated with any progress because I would love to know what's happening.
I hate to stereotype people but cruiser riders typically don't wear helmets it seems. I don't understand why, I couldn't imagine riding without my sena so its just a perk of wearing a helmet. Yea I think its the idle wax unit but I don't really think it is worth it to replace it (I haven't checked how much they are) Florida is pretty warm so I doubt ill need it. If it starts giving me issues I will fix it. Its just to help the bike warm up faster, which is useful so ill probably take a look at it.
Phobia is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
I hate to stereotype people but cruiser riders typically don't wear helmets it seems. I don't understand why, I couldn't imagine riding without my sena so its just a perk of wearing a helmet. Yea I think its the idle wax unit but I don't really think it is worth it to replace it (I haven't checked how much they are) Florida is pretty warm so I doubt ill need it. If it starts giving me issues I will fix it. Its just to help the bike warm up faster, which is useful so ill probably take a look at it.
I don't like stereotyping either, but I 100% agree with you. Same, I love my music and a few times I have ridden around my neighborhood without a helmet to dry my bike off after a wash and it is the least pleasurable experience being on a bike. And yeah we are pretty warm here so I do not think its too big of an issue as of now, here it is almost mid October and I can't even get a night <70 degrees. Theoretically, when initially turned on the bike has higher rpms because it is trying to burn a richer mixture with less air to cause a greater change in enthalpy (causes faster warm up) which is like when the choke is engaged. But when its cold a carb bike needs the choke engaged to help warm it up, so it would be interesting to see on any cold mornings you have harder starts because it appears your bike skips this initial warm up cycle. However, given it is FI i feel like the computer would be able to adjust...
anovak is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by anovak View Post
I don't like stereotyping either, but I 100% agree with you. Same, I love my music and a few times I have ridden around my neighborhood without a helmet to dry my bike off after a wash and it is the least pleasurable experience being on a bike. And yeah we are pretty warm here so I do not think its too big of an issue as of now, here it is almost mid October and I can't even get a night <70 degrees. Theoretically, when initially turned on the bike has higher rpms because it is trying to burn a richer mixture with less air to cause a greater change in enthalpy (causes faster warm up) which is like when the choke is engaged. But when its cold a carb bike needs the choke engaged to help warm it up, so it would be interesting to see on any cold mornings you have harder starts because it appears your bike skips this initial warm up cycle. However, given it is FI i feel like the computer would be able to adjust...
Completely agree with the no helmet thing, I test rode the 600rr without a helmet and it was terrible. In regards to the wax unit, some people say you can just clean it. I might try and do that when I check out the air filter to kill 2 birds with one stone because I don't really see where I can buy a new one. Maybe something stupid is messed up in there and just needs to be adjusted, that would be the best case scenario.
Phobia is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 02:35 AM
Pocketbike Racer
 
Honda-Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 389
Thanks: 3
Thanked 126 Times in 107 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bump

My bike like some others does not idle any higher when cold as when fully warmed up. I do believe it is to do with the wax ball contraption but I also believe it is not worth fixing! If anyone has any opinions about this or has worked on the wax ball I am all ears.

If I/you lived somewhere really cold, I guess it could be a problem, but here in San Diego I don't think a rich/high idle upon cold start is really necessary. Am I right?

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
Honda-Power is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
Bump

My bike like some others does not idle any higher when cold as when fully warmed up. I do believe it is to do with the wax ball contraption but I also believe it is not worth fixing! If anyone has any opinions about this or has worked on the wax ball I am all ears.

If I/you lived somewhere really cold, I guess it could be a problem, but here in San Diego I don't think a rich/high idle upon cold start is really necessary. Am I right?
I wouldn't worry about it too hard or at least im not. Like you said, we live in climates where it isnt much of an issue. I probably just let my bike idle a little more to warm up a bit than others do with the working wax unit. If it becomes an issue ill fix it, or if I look at it and it is a simple fix ill do it but other than that I think im just going to let it be.
Phobia is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just thought I should update this as it is starting to get to the colder part of the year (I know I cannot complain in Florida) but turns out the wax thing and my idle adjuster work. The other day it was in the lower 60's, I started the bike up and it actually held the idle at about 1800-1900 rpm until it warmed up a bit. So I guess it was just never cold enough for it to do it before. Also for the idle adjuster it just did not want to work in its mounted position, I removed the plastic clamp thing and straightened it out and that turned out to work too. So I guess that was just stupid on my end so if anyone else lives in a warm climate and thinks the wax system is not working wait for it to get a little colder before you assume it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
Bump

My bike like some others does not idle any higher when cold as when fully warmed up. I do believe it is to do with the wax ball contraption but I also believe it is not worth fixing! If anyone has any opinions about this or has worked on the wax ball I am all ears.

If I/you lived somewhere really cold, I guess it could be a problem, but here in San Diego I don't think a rich/high idle upon cold start is really necessary. Am I right?
Phobia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome