Mosfet R/R Temp - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 111
Thanks: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier Temp

Hi everyone,
replaced my oem Rectifier/Regulator with a Mosfet Rectifier/Regulator on my 03' CBR600rr. I repositioned the R/R but it makes contact with the inside of fairing. Here's my question .....do Mosfets get hot enough to melt the plastic fairing? I know the oem R/R would be scorching hot!

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by cbr600rrkid; 04-11-2019 at 09:33 PM.
cbr600rrkid is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
InsolentMinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, England
Posts: 599
Thanks: 7
Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm not sure how hot they get, but it might be worth getting the 05/06 r/r bracket, which acts as more of a heatshield from the engine. It might also sit the r/r a bit away from the fairing so it doesn't touch.
I recently bought a Mosfet r/r too (but haven't had a chance to fit it yet). I bought one of the improved brackets from a breaker in the US on eBay, as it seems these are hard to get cheap in the UK.


Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
InsolentMinx is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 111
Thanks: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsolentMinx View Post
I'm not sure how hot they get, but it might be worth getting the 05/06 r/r bracket, which acts as more of a heatshield from the engine. It might also sit the r/r a bit away from the fairing so it doesn't touch.
I recently bought a Mosfet r/r too (but haven't had a chance to fit it yet). I bought one of the improved brackets from a breaker in the US on eBay, as it seems these are hard to get cheap in the UK.

Thanks! I already have the newer bracket but I found the R/R would still get hot, so I didn't use bracket and bolted R/R right to frame using the bracket holes. I guess I'll just let the bike warm up and see if it heats up.

Bill
cbr600rrkid is online now  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,424
Thanks: 13
Thanked 991 Times in 812 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Mosfet still gets hot. The power has to go somewhere.
wibbly is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
InsolentMinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, England
Posts: 599
Thanks: 7
Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600rrkid View Post
Thanks! I already have the newer bracket but I found the R/R would still get hot, so I didn't use bracket and bolted R/R right to frame using the bracket holes. I guess I'll just let the bike warm up and see if it heats up.

Bill
I'd have thought it would still get hot either way... alternatively try to put it somewhere else with good airflow but away from the engine.

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
InsolentMinx is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 111
Thanks: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsolentMinx View Post
I'd have thought it would still get hot either way... alternatively try to put it somewhere else with good airflow but away from the engine.
I think the reason it originally got hot was because it was mounted so close to the exhaust pipe. So i'm trying to relocate it and the easiest place was where the mounting bracket holes are. I think it will still get some airflow there but it touches the inner part of the fairing. I'm trying to figure out if Mosfet gets as hot as oem. OEM would probably melt plastic!

Thanks,
Bill
cbr600rrkid is online now  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 111
Thanks: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Mosfet still gets hot. The power has to go somewhere.
Yes...I thought so too. But as hot as OEM? I've read lots of reviews about Mosfet running cooler. If it runs as hot as OEM then I'll have to mount it back on to the 05' bracket. I just think being so close to the exhaust pipe will shorten the life of the R/R. This is my 3rd one!

Thanks,
Bill
cbr600rrkid is online now  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,424
Thanks: 13
Thanked 991 Times in 812 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you reduced the load on the bike? Led headlights?
wibbly is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 111
Thanks: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Have you reduced the load on the bike? Led headlights?
No....all OEM lights!
cbr600rrkid is online now  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 111
Thanks: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600rrkid View Post
Hi everyone,
replaced my oem Rectifier/Regulator with a Mosfet Rectifier/Regulator on my 03' CBR600rr. I repositioned the R/R but it makes contact with the inside of fairing. Here's my question .....do Mosfets get hot enough to melt the plastic fairing? I know the oem R/R would be scorching hot!

Thanks,
Bill
I ran engine to operating Temp and the MOSFET r/r barely even got warm.
cbr600rrkid is online now  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,424
Thanks: 13
Thanked 991 Times in 812 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
at idle it's not bleeding off any power because the stator voltage is still low. no rectifier is going to get very hot at idle.
wibbly is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 111
Thanks: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
at idle it's not bleeding off any power because the stator voltage is still low. no rectifier is going to get very hot at idle.
Thanks Wibbly,
I was thinking that too. The next test on the R/R is to take the bike for a drive and get the engine hot. I know with the old OEM R/R you could fry an egg on it after a highway drive! I'll report back!
cbr600rrkid is online now  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 111
Thanks: 24
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well,
I've driven the bike on the highway a few times. The MOSFET r/r barely got warm. I've actually relocated it. I bolted it on the opposite side of mounting bracket so it's facing faring. I also wrapped heat shield with insulation (heat shield) to keep heat from exhaust at minimum. So far so good! Charging system back to normal even when engine is hot!


Bill
cbr600rrkid is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MOSFET rectifier Saharsh General Discussion 0 08-06-2016 07:39 AM
Mosfet Rectifier for 2006 engine block Saharsh New Members 0 08-02-2016 03:31 AM
Engine running temp/ temp for Fan ? StealthRacer Maintenance 5 07-11-2004 04:02 PM
At what temp does fan turn on at? deepsouthtech Maintenance 19 05-07-2004 08:45 PM
To reduce the temp. hebe34 General Discussion 9 12-25-2003 11:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome