Limp mode - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Limp mode

I rode 100 miles today. Bike has been running top. Right before I went home I pulled out of a road and ran through first and second quick but when I got to 5500 my bike fell on its face. If I let it run 1/4 throttle it would go up over 5500 no problem. I pulled over and shut it off. Started it back up and when I took off it was running top again. What the hells that? It wouldn’t let me go over maybe a little over a 1/4 throttle. Running fine now but something caused that to happen. Any help is much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Any lights on the dash?

Around 5500rpm is when the secondary injectors fire. Sounds like they failed to do that. Do you have a power commander or similar?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Any lights on the dash?

Around 5500rpm is when the secondary injectors fire. Sounds like they failed to do that. Do you have a power commander or similar?
No power commander. Nothing of the sort. After I shut it down and started it back up it stopped doing it. Ran right through no issues. It’s running fine now. Weird though. What would I do to address that?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Any lights on the dash?

No lights on the dash at the time it was doing it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:15 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If no pc5,

What's battery history?

IME, weird stuff happens somewhat randomly as batt gets old, although bike is running, and you'd think batt was fine.

(2009 cbr)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
If no pc5,

What's battery history?

IME, weird stuff happens somewhat randomly as batt gets old, although bike is running, and you'd think batt was fine.

(2009 cbr)
Battery is maybe a little over a month old. I can do a test in voltage tomorrow. It started running fine after I shut it down and started it again. Working in the fan at the moment too. It’s not working. I just switched out the fan relay with the far left relay. Fuel pump is still priming. So relay is fine. I’m betting it’s the fan itself.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
If no pc5,

What's battery history?

(2009 cbr)
Did a test on the battery and charging system. Battery is over 13 on its own over 14 running. Not the battery. It did it again this morning. Rode for about 40 miles then it did it again. Same rpms. So I stopped shut I down. When I started it back up it was running fine again. Then didnit again about ten miles later. It’s super frustrating
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Moto GP Racer

Hmm....at this point bike s/b throwing a code on the MIL light.
any showing of code?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Hmm....at this point bike s/b throwing a code on the MIL light.
any showing of code?
No codes. Took of for a little 30 mile ride yesterday. Had not one problem at WOT. Ran perfect. It’s pouring down rain today but I plan on putting some fuel cleaner in it and riding the **** out of it for a couple hundred miles. Clean out the fuel system. Hopefully that will work. Somebody had a similar issue to mine and they said it was their ecu. I don’t want to buy an ecu if I don’t have to. I’ll get her figured out. Just hard to diagnose because it doesn’t do it all the time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Moto GP Racer

if no code then may be ecu......frustrating in the extreme!

Find good ecu and try a swap?

Good luck!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,010 Times in 827 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the first thing to do is clean all your electrical connectors and grounds, grease them, then reinstall them.

it sounds like a pain in the ass but so many of these phantom issues turn out to be a poor or heating connection.

just unplug everything, hit it with a brass brush or stiff nylon, use some contact cleaner, then pack with dielectric grease and reconnect. for the grounds unhook them, clean them, then reinstall.

i wouldn't be surprised if that sorted you out
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (05-29-2019)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:43 AM
BOTM Winner 06/15 & 02/14

I had something similar going on and it was a total mystery to dealership, Tuning shops, MotoAmerica mechanics and the vast combined knowledge of the internet. Because it was intermittent, it was extremely hard to diagnose. I started at vacuum and then went to electrical. I replaced stater and rectifier after making sure the fuel pump was fine. I did this because the voltage appeared to be a little low. With no change I went on to spark plugs. This seemed to cure the problem and I thought I was done. A few months later it started again so I decided it was out of my skill level as a mechanic so I took it to another tuning shop. They put it on the dyno and were able to reproduce the problem, thank god! They pulled the injectors and sent them to be tested. They were all pretty bad so they were cleaned and tested again and came back like new. Another pull on the dyno and the problem came back yet again! At this point everyone was completely stumped. They had tried removing the PC and Quickshifter already so they put that back on to have another look at the map. While doing another pull on the dyno, which is elevated fairly high in this shop, the owner happened to be walking around the front of the bike right one of the coil packs just popped off. The bike then flattened out revealing to all that this was the issue. He held it on there and they revved it up again and a different coil pack popped off. So they replaced all four of them and the issue was gone and remains gone. The clips that hold the coils to the spark plugs were just worn out. They would expand with the heat of the motor and then pop off. When the bike cooled down, they would seat themselves back into position and would be fine for a while until the heat and vibration were just right to cause them to come off. When I had changed the plugs, I guess the new plugs were enough to hold the coils in place but as time went on, they wore down enough to allow the issue to come back. I hope this helps! It was very expensive and time consuming to get it sorted and I hope I can save another CBR rider from having the same headache.

2012 CBR 600RR with improvements
The Following User Says Thank You to erobison For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (06-04-2019)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

erobison's post is valuable.

Who'da thunk about 0.10 cent clips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page