Yes, Got caught 4 0.73%
No, haven't tried it yet 124 22.63%
No, Never Will 291 53.10%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Outriding the Cops??...

...so i'm new around here and actually don't own a bike yet...however am getting one next season but on my way home from work this morning I noticed a sportbike running from a cop on Rt. 66...not trying to advocate this practice or glorify it just wondering if this is common among sportbike riders...have any of you out there ever done this?

By the way as you probably guessed it dude on the bike was a squid...no gear at all other than sunglasses..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Moto GP Racer

Getting a ticket sucks, but I'd rather have that on my record than all the charges that come from running. Besides, it just endangers too many innocent people and the cops have a hard enough job as it is.

R.I.P PHATTY!!!!!!!

'08 600RR Graffiti - Wrecked on 9/21/2008 R.I.P.

Mods to date:
Jardine RT-1 CF Dual Outlet
LP No-cut sliders

Mods to come when funds permit:
Buy another RR
www.facebook.com/Jeff.Keith77

If you fear dying, then you're already dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
Congrats man got to have red wings to fly
post #3 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Let's make sure we don't loose focus on this thread. Stay on topic and no cop bashing.....

Yes I have, yes I got away, and yes I was a dumba$$ at that time. Take it from my experiences. It's never worth your life or someone else's to run. Most of the time if you simply pull over ASAP you will get a good tongue lashing and nothing more.
post #4 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i did once but i dont really think it counts...
everyone was at a spot watching some stunts, cop pulls up with the spot light on and before he even gets a chance to flip the lights everyone started running out of there.
He didnt really chance anyone considering there was about 30 bikes and just him but everyone got up and left quickly before he changed his mind.

either way, i dont plan on running, its better to take the ticket than to lose your bike, lose your license, and/or go to jail.
post #5 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I dunno how much response you will get to this thread for people being scared of the law, because they do this on a daily basis....

Had one time where I made a bad choice........Long story short thought a buddy was telling me we were clear ( he was a squid and had hand signals all mixed up ) but in no way was this his fault.

So im rolling at about 35 when I deciede to click her down and stomp 1-5.......as im shifting into 6th I realize he didnt mean that it was clean, he meant there was a cop right in front of us gunning people........as I glance down I was definatly in the higher mid end of triple digits.....so as I roll off the throttle I look behind me he is trying to pull out but he has no luck because of the traffic that was gathered behind us....so for a split second it hits me.

YOUR GOING TO JAIL DUDE.....and your bike is gonna be hard as fxck to get back, so after downshifting a couple of gears to slow down I pulled back on the throttle and began the mayham....Im not even gonna go any farther honest to God I get shaky every time I even think about it....

End of story I end up locking up the brakes for so long, im not even gonna try to explain in feet or yards, ( but lets say between a quarter or half of a football field) and I went back that night in my car to look......so no BS.....after locking the brakes up I ducked into a turn, where it got even worse, but I didnt get caught and I didnt die so I got lucky.

After that night I swore to myself and God, that I would never be out of control like that ever again, and I would keep it all on the track......this was about 3 years ago....He gave me a second chance and a lot of guys don't get that.

so honestly guys, don't do it, its not worth it I have lost a couple of friends to the same story I just told and some of them didnt even have a chance and they knew it. ITS A DEATH SENTANCE...
post #6 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 AM

i outrun the cops all the time. i use to make a game out of it by finding them, rip a wheelie and get them to chase. usually it would be late at night so there is less traffic, more fun for the chase. i really dont care if i get bashed here, no one knows me so if they talk trash on the internet it wont change my life.
ive never been caught but if you cant ride worth a crap then you will get busted sooner or later.
post #7 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 AM

i want to add, straight away top speed isnt the method i use to get away. ive lived in my town for 25 years so i know all the little spots that bikes can fit and cars cant. i use little path ways, fences and such to my advantage. its fun to smoke them then wait on the other side of a tight path that the car cant fit. give them the bird and ride out.
always wear a helmet because if they see your face they can identify you. if they dont see your face, even if they get your tag you can argue in court that it wasnt you.
post #8 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
+ 1 on low speed hiding, haha thats what we did when we used to street race every weekend ( when I had my mustang ) kinda hard to hide big cam cars sometimes as my buddy found out.
post #9 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Adrenalin really gets going when running from leo's which makes you push your limits way past your skill. It is extremely dangerous and I do not encourage anyone to make it a habit. Especially if you do not have much experience riding fast. But if I am triple digits and on a back road there is no way I am going to jail.

Just last month I pulled over for doing 80 in a 65 on a lone back road. The cop wrote me for everything imaginable. I figured he would tell us to slow it down and be safe as we were all wearing gear. Never again. Lots of back roads around here where you might see a car every 10-30 minutes. But if I were in town or around lots of traffic no way would I attempt to run

|--Honda Racing----| | | '|";,__.
|_..._...__________| |_|_|.....,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)*****(@)

-Andrew

Last edited by Sparkknocker; 07-20-2008 at 10:56 AM.
post #10 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFO View Post
i outrun the cops all the time. i use to make a game out of it by finding them, rip a wheelie and get them to chase. usually it would be late at night so there is less traffic, more fun for the chase. i really dont care if i get bashed here, no one knows me so if they talk trash on the internet it wont change my life.
ive never been caught but if you cant ride worth a crap then you will get busted sooner or later.

oooooooo aahhhhhhhh
:j:

i never got the chance to chase a dumbass runner when i worked patrol but i always wanted the opportunity to chase someone until they screwed up and splattered themselves all over the place.
it makes for a good story to tell the kids at drivers ed.
post #11 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM
r3d

The only time that I would attempt anything is if the cop were at a disadvantage in getting to me quickly: such as across the median, in the grass, blocked by traffic, etc. At that point, the only thing I would consider doing is lane splitting (illegal here) to make ground.
post #12 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 AM

If the cops have to chase you, they're bringing a beating with them.
post #13 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Moto GP Racer

The time I ran from the cops I was on my Yamaha PW80 and I was 6 years old. I was riding around the block then saw him come up on me with lights. My dad was at the end of the block so I tried to make it to him. The cop stopped and was cracking up the whole time, he thought I was cute. I was tiny for my age, so even the PW80 at the time was big for me. Needless to say it did not come with a beating.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

"The proper gear can make the last guy finish first!"

"I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on Ebay."

post #14 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
its fun to smoke them then wait on the other side of a tight path that the car cant fit. give them the bird and ride out.
I have to say that reading this made my day...i for one respect cops (the good ones) that actually make my city a safer place but as for traffic cops that pull out their ticket book more than their gun i think they deserve to be f'd with every once and a while by someone just to get them off their high horse
post #15 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Good for you. You sound like a real tough guy. Sorry if I am a bit biased on this one, but a couple years ago I was working for my County as a Paramedic and an armed robbery suspect chose to run from a patrol unit, (They don't chase people for traffic violations).

Wel, the driver of the patrol car was a rookie with his FTO in the passenger seat, (a guy I knew pretty well). The suspect passed a vehicle on the right shoulder and the patrol car followed. The driver of the vehicle being passed heard the sirens and attempted to pull to the right, hitting the patrol car.

The patrol car spun around and hit the guardrail with the rear, rupturing the fuel tank. We were right around the corner, but, by the time we pulled up the patrol car caught fire. We couldn't even get close to the car as ammo was firing off in the trunk, (the FTO was a SWAT officer and had plenty of ammo).

All we could do was sit there, hearing them scream in pain as they burned to death. Afterwards, we had to remove what was left of the bodies from the car. We actually had to cut the lower portion of one of the officer's leg with a saws-all to get him out.

I will never forget one second of that day for the rest of my life and I almost left my career over it.

Keep it up, tough guy. Just remember what the consequences can be.
post #16 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Testicular Fortitude

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When i first got my bike I ran. Got away but I wont do it again been to a couple of motorcycle accidents now and seen how bad they were banged up. its not worth the trouble. Just pull over the worst your going to get is a ticket if you didnt do anything serious. And KTFO. I hope one day you crash. and get hurt teach yourself a lesson.

If not worth the pain and suffering you could possibly put on your family. Even the most experienced riders crash.

RIP Phatty

2007- Wrecked
2008 Orange- DD/track
2 Bro slip on
PCIII
Flush mounts
FE
Puig smoke wind screen
ASV Shorties Black
Vortex rear sets
To come:
Brake lines
Rotors
Clip-ons
HID
and a few other things.
post #17 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Dont run from the cops, its stupid, and puts other people's lives at stake.
post #18 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Training Wheel Hero

oh I've got stories...good and bad.

this is a good one.
I riding by myself on this 6 lane road in SE Michigan when another bike pulls up and wants to run. What the heck- no traffic- So its on and as luck would have it just as we crest a hill in the triple digits we fly by a radar trap. totally lit up.

I look back and the cop coming after us. We're in the burbs. No freeway nearby, what to do?

We both keep going and as we approach a red light I roll off while the other guy looks like he's going to go through it. Hummmm, I decide to gamble on the cops testosterone level and brake hard, as the other guy punches through the light I pull off to the curb, stop and act like I'm taking my helmet off.

The speeding cop slows down a tick points at me and keeps going...30 seconds later I'm hauling ass down the side streets- Humming freebird.

I think the most important thing to remember is most of the bikes get caught because they make a mistake (and crash). So it's best to weigh the consequences of both actions-running or stopping, before you get yourself over your head.
post #19 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Does flying past a cop that is hauling ass the opposite the direction.....seing him brake dive in your side view and dropping down a few gears to "stretch your legs out a bit" and just happening to turn of the road and riding "spirited" down some back roads while hearing said LEO flying past on the wrong road count.

If not then I have never ran from the police. And for record I've done the same thing in a car....I figure if they want to write the ticket I shouldn;t gift wrap if for them.

3 words a real motorsports enthusiast lives by:

If its cheap and fast it won't be reliable.
If its cheap and reliable it won't be fast.
If its fast and reliable it won't be cheap.
post #20 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Get Jiggy with it

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
i want to add, straight away top speed isnt the method i use to get away. ive lived in my town for 25 years so i know all the little spots that bikes can fit and cars cant. i use little path ways, fences and such to my advantage. its fun to smoke them then wait on the other side of a tight path that the car cant fit. give them the bird and ride out.
always wear a helmet because if they see your face they can identify you. if they dont see your face, even if they get your tag you can argue in court that it wasnt you.

your a fukin douchebag...first of all , if you lived in your town for 25 years I would assume that at least one cop knows you, your bike , or your helmet, And i would say jacket but i doubt your squid azz wears one.... so please go be a tough guy somewhere else where people don't know any better... Go blow smoke up someone else's azz!!!

you been watching to many movies!

post #21 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If I die riding my motorcycle I'd like it to be under circumstances in which people will say "Its a shame, but at least he was doing what he loved." What a terrible legacy to leave behind if I was to die, or even cause the injury or death of someone else, because I was trying to avoid a stupid speeding ticket. Its hard to feel sadness for people that die from putting themselves in completely avoidable situations like this, although I do feel for the loss of their friends and family.

Running from the police, and putting yourself and others at an unecessary risk is completely senseless and idiotic. Just don't do it.

WERA #262
2007 CBR600RR
post #22 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 PM

no, i will never try to outrun law enforcment............ i dont want to get killed for taking the bike up to track speeds while on the street and then eating Shyt!!!!!
post #23 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only way i would was if i was going over 120 and he clocked me, in which case i would just bury the throttle and keep going, say i don't watch my mirrors going that fast cause nothing would be coming up faster than me. Then maybe you could get out of the fleeing and alluding.
post #24 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Get Jiggy with it

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Rocket View Post
The only way i would was if i was going over 120 and he clocked me, in which case i would just bury the throttle and keep going, say i don't watch my mirrors going that fast cause nothing would be coming up faster than me. Then maybe you could get out of the fleeing and alluding.

If you were "going over 120" you wouldn't have to worry about getting out of the fleeing and alluding....your azz would be going straight to jail regardless.

post #25 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've thought about it... but I would never have the guts to actually do it. I've also never been pulled over on the bike.
post #26 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 AM

The only time I would ever even consider running from the cops is if I just came from the doctor and there was 100% certainty that I had some terminal disease and had a week to live. Then I'd just do it to see if I could get away. Hopefully that never happens, so I'd have to say I'd never run.
post #27 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Hmmm... ever see the video where the cop killed a runner by ramming him with his squad car?

No one appreciates having their life put at risk by a stupid squid.
post #28 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:17 AM

I wouldnt run it is not worth it. I have never been chased on the bike but when i was 18 i pulled a chase and didnt get away with it. I was in my nissan GTiR (2l turbo awd import) and passed a parked cop doing 180~kmh (100mph?). i saw him but didnt really worry as i knew the car would kill himm speed and cornering wise. Anyway about 10km down the road there was a set of lights so i slowed for them and low and behond i have a **** load of cops waiting. The car was worth to much to go cross country over the median strip or anything silly so at that point i knew i was fucked and turned the car off and waited for a caining.

So in the end it just aint worth it although it was fun at the time until i saw the cops everywhere, and on a bike it is so much more lethal if F up

Last edited by Grimace; 07-22-2008 at 05:20 AM.
post #29 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 PM

engine power is reduced

FYI.
Police embark on about 30,000 high-speed chases in the U.S. per year, resulting in 300 deaths, but a new OnStar feature could place law enforcement in the driver’s seat and slow down these stolen cars to avoid unnecessary casualties.
GM’s telematics subscription service is rolling out the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown (SVS) feature beginning with select models next year, with plans to eventually accommodate GM’s entire consumer vehicle fleet.
“We’re trying to provide a method that’s hopefully safer than current methods to slow down, stop and recover stolen vehicles that might be in high-speed chases,” says Dan McGarry, engineering group manager at OnStar, which is currently touring the country to offer demonstrations of this service to law enforcement, safety personnel and media, among other interested parties.
OnStar currently offers location assistance to drivers, which can find a lost or stolen vehicle using cellular and GPS technology. The SVS is an active extension of this service, and will be a part of the automaker’s safety and security package moving forward.
“We’re involved in 700 to 800 cases per month where we’re asked to provide location assistance for a stolen vehicle,” adds McGarry. “The difference here is this is a more dangerous type of event than just a standard stolen vehicle.”
The process begins when an OnStar subscriber reports his or her vehicle stolen. OnStar then attempts to locate the car, and if police are nearby when the car is located, and police cannot convince the driver to pull over the vehicle, an OnStar operator double-checks that he or she is indeed pinpointing the correct vehicle through verification of make, model and year, as well as a quick flash of the car’s hazard lights. (McGarry notes that OnStar maintains a data connection with its vehicles at all times.)
Once police officers and OnStar agree that communication has been established with the proper vehicle, the slowdown process ensues: hazard lights are flashed while OnStar communes with the stolen vehicle’s powertrain, which is then incapacitated and the driver’s attempts to accelerate are ignored by the car. Eventually, the stolen car coasts to a stop, a desirable alternative to the ways in which many high-speed chases end.
“We’re in a coast mode,” McGarry clarifies. “You still have all the functions, power brakes, power steering, you can listen to the radio; it’s just when you step on the pedal, there is no reaction to that.”
Once the suspect is apprehended, the police notify OnStar, which resets the vehicle for normal usage.
Like the vehicle locator, the slowdown service also relies on cellular technology and GPS to locate the car, so the OnStar operator is at the mercy of whether or not a cellular signal is available in the area in question. Between GM’s expansive coverage through Verizon and the vehicle’s antenna, though, McGarry says he is optimistic over this feature’s success in upcoming years.
“Even if we can save one of those lives a year, that can make a difference,” he adds.
Expect to see this service on such 2009 models as Chevy’s Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche and Impala; the Buick Lucerne; Saturn Vue; and GMC’s Sierra, Denali and Yukon, among other marques. After the first year of subscription service, SVS will cost drivers about $199 a year as part of OnStar’s base package, which also includes remote door unlock and vehicle diagnostics.
The reason GM cannot offer the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown universally across platforms is that this feature goes beyond mere remote communications; SVS involves synchronization with a vehicle’s mechanical elements, like its powertrain.
OnStar currently has about 5.5 million subscribers, according to McGarry.

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com....jsp?id=529895
post #30 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Mad Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex i ITR View Post
Does flying past a cop that is hauling ass the opposite the direction.....seing him brake dive in your side view and dropping down a few gears to "stretch your legs out a bit" and just happening to turn of the road and riding "spirited" down some back roads while hearing said LEO flying past on the wrong road count.

If not then I have never ran from the police. And for record I've done the same thing in a car....I figure if they want to write the ticket I shouldn;t gift wrap if for them.
Hahaha, I did a similar thing. The cop was stopped, speed trap basically. I went flying by at 90+ and just didn't even slow down, my turn off was less than a mile up the road and around a few curves. I made the turn and then saw the LEO flying by on the road I turned off of in the mirror. I technically Pretended that I never saw him.

I Like My Guns Like Obama Likes His Voters: Undocumented

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page