250 or 450 (4-stroke) dirtbike - 600RR.net
Polls and Research Take a poll and discuss your research here

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
250 or 450 (4-stroke) dirtbike

whats up all...just wondering for those of you that are avid dirt riders. I am going to buy a dirt bike soon. Preferably a honda. I haven't ridden dirt in about 5 years. I am wanting to get back into it now and was wondering what your guys/girls opinions are.

I'm 5'10 165lbs and in pretty good athletic shape. I've been riding dirt/street for about 10 years but as i said before no dirt in the last 5. I'll be doing little track riding and mostly trail riding with a few dune trips mixed in there. I have about 4k to play with. Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 AM
fast03600rr

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
i would just go with a 250. i know alot of fast guys that ride 250's and can kick my ass when i'm on my 450..

Phatstud

07 Dyna
07 Bagger

07 RMZ 250

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Knee Dragger

I am about your same build and in your same situation of not riding dirt in a few years. I just bought a cr 250 (2-stroke) monday and love it:icon_lol:. I have rode a kx250f and a crf450x and owned a yz426. My opinion would be to get the 450. The 250f I rode seemed to be down on power for my liking and the 450 had so much all around power it was a blast to ride. I also hear of more 250's needing to be rebuilt more often because they rev higher. I also saw this first hand as the guy with the 250 blew it up after 1.5 yrs and the 450x has been going strong for almost 4yrs now.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

thanks for the advice! I'm not worried about people beating me. I'm not going to be at the track very often I live in one of the most trail infested towns in california so I'll be out exploring! And I keep hearing different schools of thought for trails. But thanks for the advice I'll definatey keep it in mind!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I ride a CRF250X and regualry ride out with others who ride CRF250F/450F/450X. WR250/450 KTM EXE XR's etc.....
A 250X is ideal for me becuase it has the slightly longer gear ratios, lights, and electric start. I need to ride on the road to get between trials and making the bike road legal is easier when you start with an X.
I have ridden all the other bikes and for the riding we do they are all great. I have fitted an full akrapovic exhaust, done the closed circuit mods (pink wire), air box and had the carb re-jetted and I dont fell the need for a 450; I can easily keep up. The 450's are a bit heavier and alot less forgiving and very hardcore in the way they lay the power down. Another plus for the 250X is the resale value, I brought mine nearly new 2 years ago and have only lost about 15% of its value.

I f'cking love my 250X and would n'tswap it for a 450R or X (unless it was the new fuel injected version....) I'm waiting for the new fuel injected CRF250X, probably gonna be a long

wait.............................................. ..........................................

Euro White RR7 - Akrapovic Slip - Carbon panels - R&G - ASV -Zero Gravity - HEL
Renthals / Stomp grips - Tripage CA SQ - Tripage Adjustable FE - CRF250X6
''we’re not here for a long time, we’re here for a good time'''
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH007 View Post
I ride a CRF250X and regualry ride out with others who ride CRF250F/450F/450X. WR250/450 KTM EXE XR's etc.....
A 250X is ideal for me becuase it has the slightly longer gear ratios, lights, and electric start. I need to ride on the road to get between trials and making the bike road legal is easier when you start with an X.
I have ridden all the other bikes and for the riding we do they are all great. I have fitted an full akrapovic exhaust, done the closed circuit mods (pink wire), air box and had the carb re-jetted and I dont fell the need for a 450; I can easily keep up. The 450's are a bit heavier and alot less forgiving and very hardcore in the way they lay the power down. Another plus for the 250X is the resale value, I brought mine nearly new 2 years ago and have only lost about 15% of its value.

I f'cking love my 250X and would n'tswap it for a 450R or X (unless it was the new fuel injected version....) I'm waiting for the new fuel injected CRF250X, probably gonna be a long

wait.............................................. ..........................................

Thanks for the advice! Thats pretty much how i feel! How does the 250X do on the track or dunes? (Not sure if you have dunes out there or not) cause I'll be hitting those once in a while...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Bascially the X is a modified CRF250R so the basics are a least on par with anything else. I think I read somewhere the CRF250 is the most popular MX bike ever made. You will enjoy sharp handling, great suspension and Honda realiability; mine has been completely trouble free. On the track, compared to the R version you will notice a slight lack of power but this can be overcome with slight mods. Check out the ww. rickramsey (.net) for some fine advice on modding CRFX's. Dunes? Unfortunately I dont have any close by to really say but I we do have plenty of fast deep sandy trials and the bike feels great. If you aint sure which to go find someone who will let you try one out. If you dont know anyone, pretend to go and buy a used one and take it out of a little rip to make sure everything is 'OK'. Good luck whichever way you go. If you go for a 250X I'm confident you will be thrilled......

Last edited by JJH007; 04-16-2009 at 04:21 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
get the 250F, you will ride faster on it for longer before getting wore out.
modern 450s are brutally powerful and overkill for most people.
look at the pro MX races, the 250f times are right there w/ the 450s.

the 450 would be a good choice if you are looking to do supermoto on it as well.
oh and buy the KTM ;)

Last edited by MXRider; 04-16-2009 at 04:23 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:41 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

good advise MX, 450's can be hard work. If I were to change from the CRF250X I would be seriously tempted with one of these 2 strokes. A friend brought a new one for christmas; they have electric start and sound awesome. The fuel range is only about 50 miles though. Shame is on the Monday after its first outing some arsehole stole it out of his garage. He is going to replace it and get a bigger tank; and carry some oil with him. The fact it needs pre-mix cost him an extra £15 to the £7 fuel. Mine cost just £3.30 to brim....

Gone are the days when KTM's were shunned...they're a top choice for those in the know. My nephew Jack rides a KTM 50 and almost all school boys ride KTM. Most enduro expects do too.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

ya KTM has really stepped up their game (starting in 2005)
i highly doubt ill buy a jap dirtbike ever again.

my KTM has been super reliable, and ill be getting a Husqvarna 450 SMR over the winter as a dedicated sumo race bike w/ the occasional street romp.
cant wait to have 2 sexy euro bikes parked in my garage.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the 450 will have a lot of torque down low and across the board. The 250 will be lighter but you will have to rev it harder and higher. I vote the 450.

The information provided by JPRacecraft on this website "600RR.net" is for reference only. JPRacecraft does not accept any responsibilities for any loss or damage whatsoever arising from any cause whatsoever in connection with this post . Users are responsible for making their own assessments of all information contained in or in connection with this post . Obtain independent legal counsel before acting upon any and all advice herein.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

wow lots of good info! Does the KTM cost more to maintain? That was a rumor I had heard. I have a friend selling an 07 KTM 450 (dont know the model) for $3800. But I am a honda man and will mostly likely stick with it. I see everyones points on both sides and its a rough decision...I'll have to continue researching!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

they dont cost more to maintain really.
there arent as many dealers handy tho, but i have 2 w/ in an hour drive from me.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
they dont cost more to maintain really.
there arent as many dealers handy tho, but i have 2 w/ in an hour drive from me.

Thats pretty sweet! I have asked around and since been told that all the KTM dealerships in my area have closed...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Hitz eit from z back

KTM SX-F 250 FTW!!!!!!!!
But thats only because I own one lol
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Moto GP Racer

hell yeah ^
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Like I told MXRIDER theres an 06 KTM 250SXF for decent deal close to me but I'm just waiting for a little bit more cash before I jump on it!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Hitz eit from z back

Just have patience man. With the way the economy is going people are partially dumping their property for dirt cheep sometimes Just to pay off some bills which they owe to much on. You live in cal city, Its basically almost to hot to ride out their during this time of year to begin with. For me anyways lol but this is considered like the off season for socal because of the heat. Just have patience man. I came up on someone who needed the money for a deductible and had to sell the bike too get that money. Anyways It lead me to picking up the ktm at a price I would of been stupid to pass up...
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:51 PM
gee
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD crew off their meds!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMOnkeyRR View Post
whats up all...just wondering for those of you that are avid dirt riders. I am going to buy a dirt bike soon. Preferably a honda. I haven't ridden dirt in about 5 years. I am wanting to get back into it now and was wondering what your guys/girls opinions are.

I'm 5'10 165lbs and in pretty good athletic shape. I've been riding dirt/street for about 10 years but as i said before no dirt in the last 5. I'll be doing little track riding and mostly trail riding with a few dune trips mixed in there. I have about 4k to play with. Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Steve
250 as bro

road one for the first time the other week

killer good fun and easy as fark to ride

IGOT new stuff ...disco helped me good!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Yes, I agree 100%, Canon Cameras SUCK! .
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So after a long search and deliberation I finally got a dirtbike. I was searching craiglist, cycletrader, and everywhere I could think of for CRF250R/X, KTM 250SXF. Well the search is over!

I found an 05 CRF250R for 1900 bucks and its in awesome condition! I have been out riding once since i bought it on monday and I had a blast. The only thing I might regret is not getting the CRF250X due to the electric start. But i might check into having one modded for my bike. Anyhow thanks to all of you guys who gave me your input! And if anyone is in socal and wants to hit the dirt just let me know!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

2 Smoker FTMFW! CR250 to be exact.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:13 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

2 Stroke 250.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredMotives View Post
2 Smoker FTMFW! CR250 to be exact.
Smart man!

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I would personally stick with honda, they have the best quality and good resale value. I race 250F's and 450's vet pro and love my 250 f over the big bike,all i do is ride track tho,a very lil bit of trails and freeride....
But the bike size you decide all depends on what you wanna do with it,i know you want to ride trail and some dunes and a little bit of trails...I personally lke the 2 stroke better but as a racer its tough to beat those damn thumpers on a 2 stroke,but if i was riding trails and dunes,cr 250 "2 stroke" baby!!!!! no valves to adjust,no cams and no expensive engine overhauls, 2 stroke= just piston and rings depending how much you ride and oil...good luck with your decison but either 3 models of those bikes you will have the power and comfort and good suspension for what you wanna do..Hope this helps :icon_lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page