Red 09 (ABS) -- ? 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Immediate help needed! 08 or 09?!?

(bikes are new)

Hi all:

I am in desperate need of opinions because I am buying the bike tommorrow or maybe Monday. I originally was trying as hard as I could to find a red 08, but to no avail. I have now warmed up to the black and the red/black 09, but also found a red 08. Anyway - I have two deals - the red 08 for $9385 OTD or either of the 09's for $9500 OTD (non ABS). Please let me know what you would take. Also, I've been negotiating for weeks and these are the best deals I've found, so just take your pick. I originally liked how the 08 looked the best, and it has a few more HP. On the other hand, I can get an 09 for $100 more and the lost HP can be regained with a $60 mod. Also, while the bikes are evidently structurally unchanged, the 09 just feels a little better to sit on to me, but I like the 08 graphics better. Also, if whenever I sell the bike, the 09 will be worth more so it's a much better financial decision. Good Lord, maybe I just needed to talk this out aloud, but it's my first new bike so please let me know your true, unbiased opinions ASAP.

Finally, I don't want to start a side topic, but in your responses, could you please let me know if I should consider ABS or not? I really don't have any interestin it and have read other threads, but feel free to throw in your 2 cents regarding that as well. (But my current deals are for non-ABS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have the '08 red/black and love it. I haven't seen anything about the '09 that makes me want to sell my '08. Having said that you'd probably get your $100 back whenever you sell the '09 'because it's a year newer.

ABS? Everything I've read says it would help if you're on the street and you have a "holy S$%^" moment and grab a handful of brakes it might save you from losing it. I don't know if it is worth the extra cash if you want a bike you use at the track.

Either way congrats on getting a new bike.

Noah's Dad (Benjamin Enzo's dad too)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Red more resale value, can be seen a lot more compared to black and dont pay retail, be prepared to walk out the door with your offer, at least get full rego, insurance and hit them up for at least $500 off the price. and shop around for the best deal out there, and tell them to match it and drop a few hundred.
Suckers pay Retail, and a extra day or two, even a week can save you $$$ from Negotiations. and throw in a offer for a discount card at the shop for gear. as then they start to think hmm??

Good Luck :)

Ohlins- Fork Springs, Shock, S.D, UES Kit 20mm, PCIII, Velocity Stack mod, RS-5 C.F Yoshi, Dynoed, K&N Air Filter, Cox Radiator Guard, Powers Race Railz mod, MOTY Battery, Pazzo Levers, Harris Grips, Stomp Grips, Ram mounting, Custom Fairings, Custom led gauges, C.F -Hugger-Sprocket cover,Exhaust,Heel, Chain, Engine,& clutch guards. Trippage led pegs, 520 Conv, -1 +2 Superlight Sprocket, Comp werkes FE, Dunlop Q2's, EBC Kevlar Heavy Duty Clutch/Springs, Vesrah RJL Pads,Braided brake lines
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

The prices I listed in the OP and in the poll are OTD prices. I'm surprised more people haven't said that $9500 OTD is a great deal on an 09 and why am I even considering an 08 for the same price. Please convince me!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Knee Dragger

Personally I dont like the covered up look of the 09... Id go for the 08 and try to get a better price on it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get the 08!!!!! it has about 6-8 more HP then the 09

The ABS system adds 22lbs to the bike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i choose red 09 w/o abs because i think it looks nicer, red is more visible than black, and its newer and worth more if sold later (assuming these really are the best prices you can get, on that 08 in particular)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tec crx View Post
Get the 08!!!!! it has about 6-8 more HP then the 09

The ABS system adds 22lbs to the bike
Where did you get this info from? Not that I'm denying it I too have an 08 but I thought they were the same motors?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Head View Post
Where did you get this info from? Not that I'm denying it I too have an 08 but I thought they were the same motors?
I'm no expert but I think Honda dicked with something in the exhaust to meet some sort of regulation at the sacrifice of power. Not that anyone who can ride wouldn't be able to make up those extra horses with some skill.

To the OP, those are great deals, but I feel like I have to ask since nobody has, how much riding experience do you have?

Squid test:

So far, 13109 people (including you) have responded to this Squid Test Survey and have been tabulated.
Of those responses, the average grade is 53. Your grade was 82 (from 0 to 100)

A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a fairly responsible motorcyclist but a bit of a wise-ass.

Hahaha.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Head View Post
Honda changed the ECU and messed with the exhaust valve timing. You can do some mods to free up your lost power but out the box the 08 has almost ten more horespower

Back on subject, I'd get the 08. Better price, more power and better plastics IMO

Last edited by sincalirider; 05-01-2009 at 12:07 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
If you are paying for a new bike, get a new bike. That is why I went with the 09. You can get an 08 for less if you are will to go used.

I would say yes to the ABS if this is your first bike. Or if you live somwhere that it rains alot, I'd give it a whirl too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the HP drop. If you were after power, you would get the 09 Ninja anyway...or if you wanted a slipper clutch.

It seems like everyone is forgetting that Honda raised the base price on these as well...

www.LMGTFY.com --> give it a try before you ask

Thanks for driving that hybrid...and saving all the gas for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page