Are you willing to teach? - 600RR.net
Polls and Research Take a poll and discuss your research here

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you willing to teach?

Are you willing to teach a total beginner girl (or guy) to ride bike? Do you also have patient to ride with her with her pace rather than your normal riding pattern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i do, i taught my buddy a couple years ago, took him from never riding to a slow be group pace with in a year.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
indeed. teaching and what not is in my blood, im not called the re incarnate for nothing!

RIP PHATTY
05/08/1980-10/19/2010
VOTE RON PAUL 2012
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
World Superbike Racer

i get kind of angry cuz im scared to teach him not that i cant is just scared he/she gonna hurt him self riding slow with him/her no problem all day if i have to :D

cbr 600 RR 2004
Driven D3's
DDM HID 55w 6k high/low
CRG Adjustable Levers (Gray)

www.facebook.com/stexmne
R.I.P. Phatstud
BB Pin 23BC2D2B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
4. I believe you are born with the motorcycle fever in your blood
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

MSF teaches much better than I ever will. But I have and will ride with a beginner at their pace I have no problem with that. I rather slow down than see them get hurt trying to do something they arent comfortable doing yet.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 PM
World Superbike Racer

i kind of like riding with beginners. while riding id come next to him c is everything ok, follow him when we stop give him some pointers.. even better when its a she ;D

cbr 600 RR 2004
Driven D3's
DDM HID 55w 6k high/low

www.facebook.com/stexmne
R.I.P. Phatstud
BB Pin 23BC2D2B
Quote:
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Nope. Not willing to do it. I'm patient for other things, but not teaching riding.
I am willing to give them the tools they need and the advice to get to the MSF or track though, so somebody else can teach them properly.

This post is so funny b/c I have a group of friends doing a newb day ride and my girlfriend recommended a separate fast group b/c she knew I wouldn't want to roll at a beginner pace.

I usually compare riding slow to jonzing for a cigarette or some other addiction. You know that impatient aggravated feeling you get...I get that when riding slow.

Hello...my name is Michael, and I'm an adrenaline addict.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.

Last edited by MikeyP; 02-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Love helping new riders. We actually run a group out of San Diego called "Chaos Theory Bike Club" that is all about teaching new guys how to ride.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
obviously it all depends on the person you're willing to teach. are they a quick learner? do they need someone to show them first? are they slightly retarded? yes it all depends on the person you're teaching. I've given riders tips before, but never actually went out with a new rider and showed them how to ride. although I'd be willing to help out someone for sure. I think any new rider that asks for help, is probably headed in a good direction, WHY? because they want to learn and they want to ride. OR as opposed to some guy that doesn't know how to ride at all, buys a new bike to be cool and impress his friends, is bound to get hurt further up the road and not gain any progressive riding skills or experience. so I think if you're knowledgeable about riding and have experience of your own and someone wants help from you, help them out and lead them in a good direction.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
obviously it all depends on the person you're willing to teach. are they a quick learner? do they need someone to show them first? are they slightly retarded? yes it all depends on the person you're teaching. I've given riders tips before, but never actually went out with a new rider and showed them how to ride. although I'd be willing to help out someone for sure. I think any new rider that asks for help, is probably headed in a good direction, WHY? because they want to learn and they want to ride. OR as opposed to some guy that doesn't know how to ride at all, buys a new bike to be cool and impress his friends, is bound to get hurt further up the road and not gain any progressive riding skills or experience. so I think if you're knowledgeable about riding and have experience of your own and someone wants help from you, help them out and lead them in a good direction.

Very well put.

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Knee Dragger

I had a friend teach me when I first started on his F4I. He was patient as I kept cutting out trying to work the clutch. I would be glad to return the favor someday to anyone wanting to learn.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanRR View Post
I had a friend teach me when I first started on his F4I. He was patient as I kept cutting out trying to work the clutch. I would be glad to return the favor someday to anyone wanting to learn.
Same here!!! A buddy taught me on his r6 and I'll gladly teach someone all that I've learned from riding.. Actually taught two peoples the "basics" on my bike (parking lot status).. Until they buy bikes for their own I'll teach them more

eat sleep ride drink... F*ck, ride again.
“Reason 2 be a whore: Surviving by simulation, versatility, and shamelessness.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRida600 View Post
You wanna be a whore you gotta talk to our pimp (srtechness) and see if he will put u on the strip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Caution: Beware of whores.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast7 View Post
haters gonee hate lol
doesnt matter what they do, we'll die in style looking badass
R.I.P Phatstud
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*

Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Bahahahahahaha, I'm curious to know what your retard scale looks like.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had a friend of mine give me a ride on his r6 a few years back, I was hooked and demanded he taught me, he showed me whats up, and I rode his bike around for a few weeks while he was deployed. Bought my own bike a few weeks after, he again rode with me. Suggested I take the msf, and I did. Been riding ever sinse. Now I have taught my brother in law, and my cousin, and they are starting to go the same route. I think its part of the brotherhood. We as riders, have an obligation to show interested people the ropes. Get them just as hooked as we are, and lead them in the right direction.

2007 RSV 1000R - Track
2005 RC51 - SOLD
2003 ZZR1200 - Street/Mod
2004 Durango HEMI - Tow duty
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM
World Superbike Racer

when it comes to teaching its fun, its a rewarding experience but
there was a kind here on a black CBR gutted pupe, all loud as hell. and he gets in to a sharp turn jerking the throttle, playing with the breaks, trying to forse the bike in to a lean. i thought he is going down right then and there. when we pulled over i came to him and just told him he is doing things wrong. plus no jacket, no gloves no nothing just what he had is a sock over his sneaker so it doesent get dirty. i told him what he is doing wrong and how to correct it cuz if he didnt he is going down with in a week.
so i think he got kind of mad and offended that i told him that he is wrong. being he is older than i am.

and a week later he pulls up to a stunter lot with skid marks on his bike and what did i say :D he went down low sided it.

and i taked to him again explaining how to correct him self.

so my question is do ppl offend or look at u weird when u correct them in riding and tell them they are doing something wrong

cbr 600 RR 2004
Driven D3's
DDM HID 55w 6k high/low

www.facebook.com/stexmne
R.I.P. Phatstud
BB Pin 23BC2D2B
Quote:
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I don't get offended. I know I don't know the technique. I am left sided brain, so I read books. watched dvd at first because I didn't have anybody to teach me. Even now, I think my timing on around the turn is not how it should be. And when I see other guys riding, I always watch when he shifts, how he leans etc. I am always asking questions to people who ride even harley what they do if I have difficulties.

I don't have too much ego when it comes to riding. I know my limit and i know I will never be going 100. Yes, I am a boring rider ....

Last edited by yummee; 02-03-2011 at 11:41 AM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I vote for MSF it's 3-days (1-weekend) and more that worth the price.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Not sure for other people, but for me, I needed more than MSF... like on the road training in uncontrolled environment. I learned the basic in MSF, but there is a lot more
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I highly recommend reading the book TOTAL CONTROL by lee parks. it goes over many things about riding for every skill level.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
I highly recommend reading the book TOTAL CONTROL by lee parks. it goes over many things about riding for every skill level.
I actually did :) That was one of the books I read in the beginning. Someone here recommended that I should read. Thanks guys!!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i'd be willing to teach as much as i possibly can but then also steer them towards MSF because learning right w/out bad habbits can make a huge diffrence

I have a few people that I'm steering, assisting them with what gear to buy, how to shop for what they want, getting them informed on WHY to take the MSF etc

2007 CBR600RR - RED/WHITE/BLUE Track
2011 CBR2504 - Grey Race
2012 Aprilia RSV4 R - Black (street candy)
2013 Yamaha FRJ 1300A (Long Trips)

CMRA Novice #316
CMRA Light Weight Endurance #23

Riding Prayer - Thank you God for the privilege of riding, please watch over us riders and bring us home to our families every day. Give me strength to obey the laws, and stay vigilant and focused.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Moto GP Racer

i was an instructor with MSF. it was fun. my favourite people to teach were the ones who had never ridden a bike before. watching their skills and confidence increase and you could see the smiles on their faces through the helmets!!

however. every course had 1-2 guys who thought they were the cats ass and knew everything. even had to give a guy a final warning for screwing around on one of the CBR125`s. 1 more screw up and he would have been booted!.

teaching can be very rewarding, but it also comes with some stress.

I tought my wife to ride, and she did so sucessfully for a couple months. first time her and i go out, she washes out on gravel. of course us and the police blame the ass holes who come off the gravel road spinning their tires, covering the smooth black gold with nice round pebbles. but i made it through the gravel with only a little bit of pucker factor, she panickes, target fixated and got hard on the brakes and tucked the front. I spent more time with her in the parking lot then i ever spent with any student, so i feel that i could have somehow spent MORE time teaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash277 View Post
i was an instructor with MSF. it was fun. my favourite people to teach were the ones who had never ridden a bike before. watching their skills and confidence increase and you could see the smiles on their faces through the helmets!!

however. every course had 1-2 guys who thought they were the cats ass and knew everything. even had to give a guy a final warning for screwing around on one of the CBR125`s. 1 more screw up and he would have been booted!.

teaching can be very rewarding, but it also comes with some stress.

I tought my wife to ride, and she did so sucessfully for a couple months. first time her and i go out, she washes out on gravel. of course us and the police blame the ass holes who come off the gravel road spinning their tires, covering the smooth black gold with nice round pebbles. but i made it through the gravel with only a little bit of pucker factor, she panickes, target fixated and got hard on the brakes and tucked the front. I spent more time with her in the parking lot then i ever spent with any student, so i feel that i could have somehow spent MORE time teaching.
how does one become an MSF teacher?

cbr 600 RR 2004
Driven D3's
DDM HID 55w 6k high/low

www.facebook.com/stexmne
R.I.P. Phatstud
BB Pin 23BC2D2B
Quote:
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Pocketbike Racer

i went thru the MSF and got alot of good info out of it. The first day out on the bikes was kind of slow with teaching the basics of clutch friction points and how to shift (rode quads alot so it was pretty review) but once we got into the counter steering and more specific motorcycle techniques i was learning alot. Not ever riding a motorcycle on dirt or the street before i was a lil bit timid but i picked up quickly. The instructor of the class even asked me if i was interested in becoming a instructor. Got a letter from a head honcho that headed the local MSF. Didnt really think anything bout it as i really didnt have any free time (wish i would have looked into it) but id help others start from the beginning with basics cause hey we were all there at some point...just returning the favor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page