Are you pride-FULL? - 600RR.net
Polls and Research Take a poll and discuss your research here

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you pride-FULL?

Super curious. Do you consider yourself a proud person? Not like "American pride" good pride, but the "arrogant- I know everything about everything-anything you can do I can do better" kind of pride.

Have you ever tried to change it? Is it ever ok to be proud? How does humble look to you?

I hate pride-find it in me all the time. Wonder if anyone goes through this:

Example: when someone is telling a story about something and you have to bring up where you've been and how cool it is. I catch myself trying to almost one up people. I can't just hear their story and listen.

Thoughts? You have it or you don't I guess?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I wouldn't say that I am, I know what I know & don't what I don't. if I can provide useful info I will, if I can't then I'll keep my mouth shut, most of the time. I don't mind being proved wrong, it's called learning. I don't believe I'm better than anyone else but I don't believe anyone has the right to look down on me either.

in work we have the usual "I can do this & I can do that" from most people, I don't care about that, I do my job & I do it well, well enough to make my wage & that's all that matters to me.

with bikes, I can fix most things but I'm no expert & will ask for help if needed. same at the track, I talk to everyone & try to learn from the experience of others.

life in general, as long as my family are ok & I can provide for them then all I need is my bike & a twisty road. I don't care for the BS or ego's of other people. if people don't like me, tough, that's their problem not mine.

is that the kind of stuff you wanted?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:13 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Nope, I just hate mis-information. I don't have to be the fastest or the smartest. Don't care.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ehh, personally for me, pride only exists when you think others around you actually give a ****.

Again personally, I stopped giving a **** about how other people thought about me after I left high school; and I guess because of that, I find it hard to think that others (at the end of the day) actually give a **** about how you can do x, or how good you are at y.

Might sound a little drab and soulless perhaps; however despite this outlook, I do like to think of myself as quite an empathetic and caring person - or, is that just the pride talking o.0

----------------
600rr 11
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude20 View Post
Super curious. Do you consider yourself a proud person? Not like "American pride" good pride, but the "arrogant- I know everything about everything-anything you can do I can do better" kind of pride.

Have you ever tried to change it? Is it ever ok to be proud? How does humble look to you?

Example: when someone is telling a story about something and you have to bring up where you've been and how cool it is. I catch myself trying to almost one up people. I can't just hear their story and listen.

I just say:

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeyP For This Useful Post:
PeachSoda21 (02-28-2013)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Maynard

Re: Are you pride-FULL?

Whenever I'm very amateur at something, I try to have the smallest ego possible and try to learn from better people, like riding. I was like that when I trained in thai boxing too. Whenever someone was better than me, I'd look up to them and learn from them.

I am prideful of my family though. Not many could say their dad was a fresh off the boat immigrant who came here with $50 in his pocket and now owns a Ferrari and a Porsche. :D good job dad! Made a good future for your son. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

2W1R

2012 M1100 EVO
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Are you pride-FULL?

Im very proud of where i am in life at the young age of 22, i have a beautiful daughter, beautiful mrs and a beautiful house that i own, but i wouldnt little someone because i have a nicer house or car. I'm from a hard working family and have worked for every penny I have.

There will always be someone with more knowledge than you, and there will always be someone with less knowledge. Learn off the knowledgable and teach the lesser.

Nice one John, you got a good old man... Same here I suppose without the money tho, my dads the hardest worker I know, hasn't had a day off sick since he was 18. He had a couple of months off in one stint due to a slipped disk by as soon as he was out the wheelchair he was back at work, he only earns a very tiny amount, considering he's been in his trade since he was 18, he only earns about 16k year with a 900per month mortgage, so my brother and I, didnt have holidays or nice stuff when we were young but we had it drilled into us to work hard, and eventually it will pay off! I'm 22 years of age and earn more than double my old man because of his hard working and commitment ways!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I am VERY conceited about myself. At least when it comes to auto mechanics, but I honestly feel it is justified. Almost, but not quite cocky, just VERY confident in my ability.

I don't usually try to one up anybody unless I am sure they are full of crap or they are try to act like a know-it-all or trying to put someone else down. Especially when there are other people around. Right now as I type this I am trying not to brag about my accomplishments and certifications.

I do try to help others that are less skilled or knowledgeable as I am though as well. I love to teach people what I know. A lot of times when I tell people that they are wrong I try to tell them why they are wrong and explain to them what is right.

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

Are you pride-FULL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Nope, I just hate mis-information. I don't have to be the fastest or the smartest. Don't care.
Those who say this usually are.

2012 CBR600RR

OEM: Solo Seat Cowl ; CBR1000RR Rear Turn Signal Lenses
Akrapovic: Slip-On
Bazzaz: Z-Bomb
Cox Racing Group:
Radiator Guard
DDM Tuning: HID
Lawst Caws: Frame Plugs
Stompgrip: Frame Traction Pads
StreetSkinns: Custom Seat
TechSpec: Snake Skin Tank Grips ; Tank Pro
Tripage: Smoked REG IT ; 40-LED Pegs ; Knight Rider Third Light ; Brake Flasher ; LED Flasher Relay
Watsen Design: Micro Alloy LED Signals

Future Mods: Tripage LED Mirrors & Ultimate KR

Last edited by SpdFrk; 02-28-2013 at 10:53 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Knee Dragger

heres there ringtone
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Are you pride-FULL?

I've met people like that throughout my life. What they fail to realize is that they look like idiots to everyone else. Most people judge them to be braggarts or liars within minutes of meeting them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:

This is that one guy in the conversation that everyone hates. He's called the one-up guy.

As the one-up guy is telling his 'better' story, the original story teller is silently hating him.

If you want to understand why this happens, click here. If you want to stop and learn more pro-social behaviors, click here.

Ay, Bro, your story reminds me of me.

Don't be that guy.

2006 HONDA CBR600RR: SOLD JUN'13

FLUTTERSHY
600rr.net Crash Stats: Will You Crash?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Training Wheel Hero

As long as i'm not the slowest i'm good...... None of my friends are one uppers or "The Story is about me" kinda douche and I gotta say, its pretty freakin awesome
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Soz, had to post it :P

----------------
600rr 11
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 AM
Training Wheel Hero

i understand where you're coming from. sometimes its good to just sit and listen..... and Laugh and find humor in things even when people try to 1 up you. and realize that life's too short to hate. I have a friend who tries to 1 up everyone. making up the fakest stories to seem better.. he claimed to be training for UFC (which is a lie) he claimed to have a goood JOB (which is a Lie) he claimes lots of things that simply arent true.. BUT i just sit and listen sometimes and just find humor in it.. He's not a bad person. BUT he has it in him that he feels the NEED to impress people. which one day he will realize is simply not true.. . . . . . .
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:

With age comes wisdom. If you are still young i think it's ok. I know all about what ur sayin. keep ur head up and just be you. F what people think!!

DON"T EVEN STINK
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

There are times when im proud to be proud if that makes sense. Im not a "one upper," nor do I belittle others, flaunt my achievements, etc. I simply think its good to be confident in oneself and know your ability to succeed at anything you put your mind too.

Then there are days where I find I cant say "I love you" to those I truly love, or I cant call my father, no matter how much I want to, because I am too prideful. Days like those I say f*ck pride.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Banned

Key is the terminology.

Pride is a great thing to have.

Arrogance is another thing. And that can be bad.

Probably best thing is appreciation of others and a strong self respect and pride for yourself. :)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSun View Post
Banger dude
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

yeah, I'm extremely prideful. generally, i think I'm better at doing things than other people. In my head, im the coolest person in the world and everyone would be impressed with me if they saw me.

i have to work on it constantly. I'm always checking myself, bringing myself back to reality cuz i don't God will do it for me...and that's always tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page