Other... 39 34.21%
Non denomenational christianity 20 17.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Religious Orientation?

Not usually very good at practicing my religion myself but this time of year (lent) had me thinking about it. Just curious how we broke down as a group.

Randal Graves: There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:44 PM

um, you are kind of missing a few of the big ones - christianity, hindu, islamic. those are a few that jumped to my head.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can't say that I belong to any one denomination so I chose "Other". Much like politics I don't side with any party. I just have my beliefs as a christian.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st lewis
um, you are kind of missing a few of the big ones - christianity, hindu, islamic. those are a few that jumped to my head.
I know, but the software only allows so many options. Plus, most of those are denominations of christianity.

Randal Graves: There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Moto GP Racer

there is no option for athiest.

CBR RIDERS FOR LIFE
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:18 AM

catholic for me!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrown75
there is no option for athiest.
I know, nor is there an option for many many other religions that are out there. I was mainly curious of the breakdown of christian denominations.

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Catholic...
havent been too religious for a few yrs now
as far as goin to church and what not.
i jus pray to myself everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbylitenin View Post
I wanna learn from the master king dingaling
Old 03-23-2006, 08:36 AM
silveRRocket
This message has been deleted by GA_RR.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 10:17 AM

wow... I don't know about this thread. I want to say something, but I'm afraid a big argument will come from it.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
CollegeRider
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Do it, nothing wrong with an intense conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehal
wow... I don't know about this thread. I want to say something, but I'm afraid a big argument will come from it.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
wolfpac52
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

OK folks. I didn't start this thread to get anyone up in arms or offended. We each have our own beliefs and need to respect those of others. I'd like to leave this thread open but if everyone can't take a more understanding approach to what others feel on this sensitive subject I'll just delete the entire thread.

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:12 PM

IMO religious subjects need to be left to a religion forum. They never survive well in any other enviornment. I was in now way offended by any remarks on here, I was just simply making a point. I'll be more than happy to engage in any religious discussion with anyone who has an open mind. Usually there is going to be someone who feels they are right and everyone else is going to hell, which typically results in the discussion being closed.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Moto GP Racer

Last time I knew it, I was Mormon. LOL

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpac52
IMO religious subjects need to be left to a religion forum. They never survive well in any other enviornment. I was in now way offended by any remarks on here, I was just simply making a point. I'll be more than happy to engage in any religious discussion with anyone who has an open mind. Usually there is going to be someone who feels they are right and everyone else is going to hell, which typically results in the discussion being closed.
As I said before, I was mainly looking to see what the poll results would be and not specific discussions. I'm monitoring the thread pretty closely though and if it degrades to anything like you mentioned, it'll be gone. I'd like to think though that people could be mature enough to discuss their own religion without feeling the need to put down others.

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:57 PM

I really only have one question, and I am not trying to be an asshat when I ask this so please do not take it that way.

What is the point of this thread? Does it matter if 18.5% of the board is Catholic? What bearing does this have in the motorcycle world? To me the poll is no different than if you started a poll asking what everyones sexual orientation is, it bears no relevance on two wheels and like religion, it will changes a persons opion on how they see someone.

Again, I'm not trying to be a prick, just curious.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:14 PM

I actually am an athiest... but I do realize that it's only 'logical' to believe in a God. I just can't force myself to believe it though. Here's some reasoning.

If you're an athiest:
You die and there isn't a God- nothing happens
You die and there is a God- you go to hell

If you believe in the 'right' religion:
You die and there isn't a God-nothing happens
You die and there is a God- you go to heaven

It's only logical to believe... but there again I just can't force myself to believe in something. I wrote "'right' religion" because there's just too many differences between religion. Things tend to change over the years. ie. there is now no purgatory in the Chatholic belief.

ps. I was VERY religious at a younger age (Lutheran). I just started reading material on other religions and I just kind of turned. I don't want to change anyone or anything nor do I want to be hassled to change back to being religious. I tend to get very arguementative when people try to change me back.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehal
I actually am an athiest... but I do realize that it's only 'logical' to believe in a God. I just can't force myself to believe it though. Here's some reasoning.

If you're an athiest:
You die and there isn't a God- nothing happens
You die and there is a God- you go to hell

If you believe in the 'right' religion:
You die and there isn't a God-nothing happens
You die and there is a God- you go to heaven
This is one of the biggest problems I have. If a person is going to believe in a God for no other reason than the fear of hell, they are believing for the wrong reasons.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
I really only have one question, and I am not trying to be an asshat when I ask this so please do not take it that way.

What is the point of this thread? Does it matter if 18.5% of the board is Catholic? What bearing does this have in the motorcycle world? To me the poll is no different than if you started a poll asking what everyones sexual orientation is, it bears no relevance on two wheels and like religion, it will changes a persons opion on how they see someone.

Again, I'm not trying to be a prick, just curious.
You're absolutely right, it has no bearing whatsoever or relevance to motorcycles, which is what the off topic area is for. It's also an anonymous poll and by no means did I ask and certainly didn't require anyone on the board to post and identify themselves or their vote.

I'm not trying to be an asshat back to you either, but do we really lack the capacity to overlook threads that don't interest or might possibly offend us? I know this is a motorcycle specific forum, and 75% of what is on here is bike related, but after being here for a few years there's not a whole lot more some of us learn about the 600RR at this point, so sometimes it's interesting to bring up other topics.

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
This is one of the biggest problems I have. If a person is going to believe in a God for no other reason than the fear of hell, they are believing for the wrong reasons.
I agree with you on from my perspective. But the thing is, if that's why someone else wants to believe, that's their concern, and not mine. Even though I don't regularly practice by going to church, I wholeheartedly identify myself a catholic and firmly believe in God. However, there are many aspects of catholicism I don't agree with, but I figure no matter what denomination I identified with I'd have a few things I couldn't go along with. I guess like my polictial affliation, I think everyone should be allowed to believe and do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't interfer or harm me or my family in any way.

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_RR
You're absolutely right, it has no bearing whatsoever or relevance to motorcycles, which is what the off topic area is for. It's also an anonymous poll and by no means did I ask and certainly didn't require anyone on the board to post and identify themselves or their vote.

I'm not trying to be an asshat back to you either, but do we really lack the capacity to overlook threads that don't interest or might possibly offend us?
I'm not offended at all, but my beliefs and my views that I have will more than likely offend someone (which is interesting because most conversations I get involved with require me to respect thier belief with thier refusal to respect mine). A majority of people cannot get into a religous discussion with someone without either getting thier feelings hurt and cry foul, or keep an open mind and respect what everyone else believes. If someone said they believe in the Gods of earth wind fire earth and rain, I will repect the fact that they can put faith into something I cannot. Where the problem comes is is when a holier than thou individual condems everyone to hell because no one believes what they do.

The easiest example I can give is if I told you I am an athiest. 90% of peoples first thought is "You're going to hell". They either say it or they think it. When I am told this my first reponse is always "proove it".

Like I said, I am very opened minded in this type of discussion and I have no problem conveying my beliefs with anyone. I do not insult, degrade or put down anyone for thier beliefs. And you are correct, it is a shame the topic cannot be discussed in a civilized manner.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_RR
I agree with you on from my perspective. But the thing is, if that's why someone else wants to believe, that's their concern, and not mine. Even though I don't regularly practice by going to church, I wholeheartedly identify myself a catholic and firmly believe in God. However, there are many aspects of catholicism I don't agree with, but I figure no matter what denomination I identified with I'd have a few things I couldn't go along with. I guess like my polictial affliation, I think everyone should be allowed to believe and do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't interfer or harm me or my family in any way.
Very well put.
The opinion I carry with the "I only believe because I don't want to go tell hell" bit is that it is not a faith, it's not a practice, it's not a religion, it's a cop out for laziness. I hold no respect to this type of attitude. I have more respect for someone who worships the devil than the above attitude, at least the Devil worshiper knows where he stands.

IMO faith and religion is what an individual makes of it. I lead my life as a good person, always trying to do the right thing. I do not need a pastor/preacher/preist to tell me this.
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

You're right, a lot of the time it can't be discussed without someone getting their feeling hurt. If it bothers them though, I'd think they could just stay out of the thread, but I could be wrong. Obviously can't change what people think, but I won't tolerate people putting others down in the thread, and if it gets bad as I said before I'll just delete it entirely. I'm more than open to hear your beliefs myself, and personally (believing in God and Heaven and Hell myself) I don't think someone's not going to Heaven because they don't believe in God or even the same one I do. There are far too many religions in this world for me to believe that one has all the right answers.

Quote:
I'm not offended at all, but my beliefs and my views that I have will more than likely offend someone (which is interesting because most conversations I get involved with require me to respect thier belief with thier refusal to respect mine). A majority of people cannot get into a religous discussion with someone without either getting thier feelings hurt and cry foul, or keep an open mind and respect what everyone else believes. If someone said they believe in the Gods of earth wind fire earth and rain, I will repect the fact that they can put faith into something I cannot. Where the problem comes is is when a holier than thou individual condems everyone to hell because no one believes what they do.

The easiest example I can give is if I told you I am an athiest. 90% of peoples first thought is "You're going to hell". They either say it or they think it. When I am told this my first reponse is always "proove it".

Like I said, I am very opened minded in this type of discussion and I have no problem conveying my beliefs with anyone. I do not insult, degrade or put down anyone for thier beliefs. And you are correct, it is a shame the topic cannot be discussed in a civilized manner.

Last edited by GA_RR; 03-23-2006 at 05:21 PM.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

I was raised as a Catholic, baptized and confirmed. However, I have also studied the other religions in the world, and have come up with my own set of beliefs based on the similarities of all religions, and dismissing the contradictions. I no longer consider myself a catholic, But I do believe in a "god", a "devil", a "heaven", and a "hell" (I put everything in quotes because I was useing the general christian terms). I have had numerous people tell me my beliefs are wrong, because I don't choose a religion. But I will not bore anyone with my beliefs, they are mine and don't affect anyone else at all.

FIG JAM

Quote:
Ride with your balls on your feet.
Important Satety Information: http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/motorcycle/corona.html
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Most religions started before science, hence why I don't really believe in the spiritual part (any gods). Religion has been used to explain the unexplainable (everything before science and math), scare people, uplift people and guide people. I see things in a very matter of fact way, and I need proof before I believe in something. I can totally understand and respect why people are religious but I can't honestly take it and say that is the way things are and I often get the "you just don't get it yet" attitude from people. When I see that I think religion has currupted this person.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisNH
Most religions started before science, hence why I don't really believe in the spiritual part (any gods). Religion has been used to explain the unexplainable (everything before science and math), scare people, uplift people and guide people. I see things in a very matter of fact way, and I need proof before I believe in something. I can totally understand and respect why people are religious but I can't honestly take it and say that is the way things are and I often get the "you just don't get it yet" attitude from people. When I see that I think religion has currupted this person.
I agree with you except for the corruption. There are certain types of people that need religion. In my discussions with these individuals I have found that they substitute a religious belief for that of personal confidence. People will say (I am not generalizing) "it was Gods will" as a deterence to accept reality. They cannot accept that a loved ones life was ripped apart from them, so they feed on a belief that it was meant to be. I am by no means saying this is right or wrong. If it helps them get through the day than I am happy for them. I am just the type of person that does not accept that line of reasoning. IMO faith and religion should not be the insturment of life, an individual needs to be.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I agree with you except for the corruption. There are certain types of people that need religion. In my discussions with these individuals I have found that they substitute a religious belief for that of personal confidence. People will say (I am not generalizing) "it was Gods will" as a deterence to accept reality. They cannot accept that a loved ones life was ripped apart from them, so they feed on a belief that it was meant to be. I am by no means saying this is right or wrong. If it helps them get through the day than I am happy for them. I am just the type of person that does not accept that line of reasoning. IMO faith and religion should not be the insturment of life, an individual needs to be.

Very well said.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Training Wheel Hero

i thoguth alot more people would be cathloic.

They Call me Streetfighter...
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:38 AM

I chose other because theres no athiest. I believe in science and evolution.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:06 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

yea islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. i have no idea how that poll choice was overlooked.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2b96p
yea islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. i have no idea how that poll choice was overlooked.
Again, as I said before, I was looking for at the breakdown of christians, last time I checked, Islam doesn't fall into that category.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page