Upgrading to a 1k - 600RR.net
Polls and Research Take a poll and discuss your research here

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrading to a 1k

So just after some opinions really... My bike was stolen on Tuesday (perfect RR4 with 5000 miles) depending on how much I get from insurance I might save up a little more and go whole got for a 1k bike.

Never ridden one But I'm at the age I won't go nuts on it (on the road at least) and have an itch to scratch.

Always wanted a repsol replica or tri coloured fireplace so my list I've whittled down to stands as this:

CBR FIREBLADE (repsol rep or tri colour)
Ninja zx10r (in green or black)
How s1000rr (in black or red)

I'm leaning towards the FIREBLADE more.. Simply because I've always liked Honda bikes. And I can't afford a ducati 1299 panigale r lol the other factor is I want to fit a racefit exhaust (love the noise) and these are all bikes that those exhausts are made for. Although I've read that the bmw and zx10r are phenomenal bikes...

Anyone have any experiences with any of these?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:00 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Pretty much everything at this point is light years ahead of the blade.

Zx10r
R1
S1000rr

All much better you would regret the blade imo.

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mran556 View Post

Zx10r
R1
S1000rr

Absolutely true.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie1984 View Post
perfect RR4 with 5000 miles
You had the bike for almost 12 years and it had 5K miles on it?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yep I didn't get to use it much :( and now that I have a place with a garage I did... Then it got taken....

Thought when I replace it I may as well go whole hog and get a big bike.. Hence why I wanted to know what people's opinions are on the bikes I listed...

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Moto GP Racer

I just sold an RSV4 that I put 40K mile on, and now I'm on an MV 800 triple. I had a 1000RR and like it, but it's old tech and not very interesting compared to the other bikes.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Pass on this years 1krr, get a zx10r or s1000rr. Next year's fireblade is supposed to be updated with electronics and fancy gadgetry to put them on par with competitors.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
Next year's fireblade is supposed to be updated with electronics and fancy gadgetry to put them on par with competitors.
Rumor, and I will believe it when I see it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I have an honest question: For this guy who puts only 5k miles in over a decade on his bike..even if they were all track miles..do all these electronics really matter?

Sure the new R1 is a superb track weapon, however, the reviews are universal when they say it is uncomfortable particularly on the streets. On the flip side the 1000rr is usually favorable when reviewed for street duty.

I doubt shaving a couple of seconds off most peoples ride on the street accounts to nothing more than bragging rights about how great and fast your bike is while at a standstill at some meet, forum, or wherever.

I will admit though it is embarrassing how the CBR 1k is spanked in the WSBK....simply under powered.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

The 1KRR is old, no defense for that.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Zx10r
R1
S1000rr

Except for when you buy a new 2015 R1 and have to have the box split and gearing replaced...

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:55 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
I wouldn't get a s1000r unless your ready to pay for the name. Great bike don't get me wrong you just have to always go to a BMW dealership for parts. Which are a pretty penny compared to the Japanese bikes... If your looking for a little more power look at the 675R or the Street Triple both are great bikes and have a little more power then a 600. Just my two cents...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the comments guys... Like it's been mentioned this will primarily be a weekend road bike (gonna get a cheap bike for the commute) ... Chasing times on track is not something I'm talented enough to do lol .. So as and when I do go in track it's more for the fun of it!!!

I hear what your saying about the bmw in terms of maintenance cost! Really my decision is going to be between the zx10r and the blade.. My mind is leaning towards the zx10r .. My heart... A repsol blade lol

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:59 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
would you buy a black berry or a android/iphone.

f the blade.

look at what the zx has over the blade its simply amazing.

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
would you buy a black berry or a android/iphone.

f the blade.

Definitely an Android device, not an iPhone though.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 08:59 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
f the blade.

True, the modern liters are technological marvels, but in the end how much of that stuff is used day to day? If you're a sketchy rider to begin with no amount of helpers are going to mask that and if you are a solid rider with solid skills the majority of that stuff is bragging rights only.

Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys... Like it's been mentioned this will primarily be a weekend road bike (gonna get a cheap bike for the commute) ... Chasing times on track is not something I'm talented enough to do lol .. So as and when I do go in track it's more for the fun of it!!!

I hear what your saying about the bmw in terms of maintenance cost! Really my decision is going to be between the zx10r and the blade.. My mind is leaning towards the zx10r .. My heart... A repsol blade lol

OP, go with your heart, don't settle for what someone else says you should get. Lots of guys hung up on the latest tech, but hardly any if them have actually RIDDEN a liter bike much less ridden one to the point any of the gadgets mean anything. Don't get me wrong, the Blade is VERY old tech and is in dire need of updating but it's still a VERY nice ride and a great overall street bike with tons of useable power.

And I know locally here there is a dealer with three leftover Blades: a red '13, white '14 and a Repsol (can't remember the year, think '15) for $9999, $9999 and $11,999 OTD respectively. That's a solid price for a very nice bike that will go as fast as anyone ever needs to go without all the wizardry that could potentially cause gremlins in the future. If you were thinking about an R1M and a commuter I'd guess for that same price you could get a new Blade and a new CBR500F for your commuter.

Just something to think about.......

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list

Last edited by Miweber929; 12-13-2015 at 09:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
cbrkat28 (12-13-2015)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:59 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Whoa, I'm glad that white one for $9999 OTD is not in my market cause I think I would be on it. I absolutely love that scheme with the black accents.

OP, good luck with your choice.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Been reading lots of reviews.. To be honest I think the blade is going to be my choice of bike... As mentioned .. Its mainly a weekend road bike! I think I'd prefer the analogueness of the blade...

To put it in perspective I'm the kinda guy who would buy a manual sports car over a paddleshift alternative... Everything I've read the blade is nimble and feels light ... Bit like my old 600rr ... Plus I prefer the way the blade looks :)

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdah View Post
I have an honest question: For this guy who puts only 5k miles in over a decade on his bike..even if they were all track miles..do all these electronics really matter?

Sure the new R1 is a superb track weapon, however, the reviews are universal when they say it is uncomfortable particularly on the streets. On the flip side the 1000rr is usually favorable when reviewed for street duty.

I doubt shaving a couple of seconds off most peoples ride on the street accounts to nothing more than bragging rights about how great and fast your bike is while at a standstill at some meet, forum, or wherever.

I will admit though it is embarrassing how the CBR 1k is spanked in the WSBK....simply under powered.
Racing is one thing, and street riding is another.

For a strict street rider only, those upgrades and fancy electronics are not going to give you an advantage over the next guy who has an "older" sportbike with none of that nonsense. For example, The new R1 is not going to make me a better street rider or go faster than my older R1. I mean, the old one already goes 180mph, do you really need to go 'faster'?

Sure the new features are always nice. But a rider may not need them. You need to think about your purpose and intention for riding the bike, then make a decision.

Also think about the cost savings of the initial purchase and maintenance/insurance. Older bikes are generally cheaper to maintain and insure.

Quote:
Been reading lots of reviews.. To be honest I think the blade is going to be my choice of bike... As mentioned .. Its mainly a weekend road bike! I think I'd prefer the analogueness of the blade...

To put it in perspective I'm the kinda guy who would buy a manual sports car over a paddleshift alternative... Everything I've read the blade is nimble and feels light ... Bit like my old 600rr ... Plus I prefer the way the blade looks :)

Good to hear. The Honda 1000RR is a great bike as it is.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page