Ever think about calling it quits? - 600RR.net
Polls and Research Take a poll and discuss your research here

View Poll Results: Ever think about giving it up?
Yes i have 47 37.01%
No never 17 13.39%
Are you Freakin nuts? I would never stop 63 49.61%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ever think about calling it quits?

After my wreck i had about a month to just lay around and think about riding, and life in general. Even to this day i still think about giving up the hobby, due to safety reasons and endangering personal health. To be honest i don think i would ever give it up, its in my blood now and just love it to much. I was just wondering if anyone else thinks about this too, if the risks outway the benifits?. I dont mean to offend anyone that cant ride due to past accidents and things of that nature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its like anything else, sometimes it just hits ya and sticks, riding motorcycles has stuck on me, the only way I could ever quit is if I was paralyzed or something.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:16 AM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
I have never thought about calling it quits. For a while I thought about not riding in the street anymore and doing track only, but I still really enjoy going out on group rides and meeting other sportbike enthusiasts.

This weekend I witnessed a horrific accident, in fact, the rider is still in critical condition. This definitely shook me up and because of this, I am going to take a break from canyon rides for a while. Like you said though, its in my blood now and I actually want to be around bikes for the rest of my life.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

yeah, i dont think i could ever give it up. i go through withdrawls if i dont ride for a day or two.

"Once you take a couple of punches and realize that you are not made of glass...the rest is easy." - Matt from Green Street Hooligans.

2005 CBR 600RR Silver
Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator
Greggs Flushmounts
Scorpion Exhaust
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I've always said to people that even if I lost my legs, I'd find a way to ride! But in my mind, I have thought about giving up riding (on the road). It might be convinient, but it is a death wish with all the violence and morons on our roads (South Africa). For now, I'm sticking with it... Still an every-day addict...

"Help look after a$$hole rookies so they can become a$$hole bikers!"
"You appear intelligent, but when you open your mouth, the effect is spoiled"

'03 CBR600RR Black (and silver)
Micron stainless steel slip-on pipe
Dark MRA double bubble screen
Clear headlight lens covers
Home-made Ultra-bright white
Third-Eye and blue Crazy-Eyes
16/45 sprocket setup
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:49 AM

I've thought many times about calling it quits on the street...but never could give up riding completely
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 AM
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef

I've thought about it... as much as I love it, who's to say in ten years with a wife and kids I might not have higher priorities?

Charlie "Blue"

It is the mark of a great mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
- Aristotle

facebook.com/senedane
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:01 AM
C.A.H.N founder / President

Not really but when I think about my daughter I think about what would I do if I wasn't able to provide for her. I haven't thought about totally quitting but I don't ride like an idiot on the street.

Quote from one of my best friends " Kiss My faggot azz"

(C.A.H.N.) coalition against honda newbs

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef

+1 to CBR/LS1.. While I haven't quit, I definately don't ride like I used to.... I'm old enough now to have realized my mortality and take my ego out of the equation...

Charlie "Blue"

It is the mark of a great mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
- Aristotle

facebook.com/senedane
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 AM

I have hit pavement, twice (not on my 600rr) and all I can say is you can pry my throttle from my cold dead fingers.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:35 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
riding is no rooted itself in my marrow, could not give it up if i wanted 2. I can't ride right now due to work and it is KILLIN me. Speaking of which if i where 2 give blood whoever recieves it would get bitten by the bug.

OG PostwhoreScooter riding HK chasin' SOB
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Pocketbike Racer

The only time I thought about calling it quits was when my brother got in a car accident a few months ago and I saw how horrible an accident could be. I just ride(and drive) a little more careful now, I dont think I could ever give it up though.. I'd always be itching to ride on those sunny days

'85 Nighthawk - 450cc of cruising power!!
'03 Black 600RR
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
thought about it.. several times...
not totally quiting tho, like 100% track only..
but thats as far as it goes, a thought.

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 06:52 AM

If I stopped riding street, which I've considered, I would definitely keep a track bike. It's not my riding that concerns me it's the unknown factor namely cagers who don't pay attention.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Moto GP Racer

+1 what most said, think about giving up the street riding all the time!

Maybe if I didn't live in Florida I would like street riding more... but I do so...

but can NEVER give up the track!!!!

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 AM

theres something about street riding that i lovve tho.. i mean in a cage u have toi wait on sooooo much traffic to move flowingly, with a bike u can dip thru effortlessly without cutting people off.

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:07 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yea i thought about it after i went down in december...the look my fiancee gave me and considering im still dealing with my ankle being jacked up. (my fault didnt have proper boots on). I've slowed down the riding alot. Riding on florida streets is insane. people cant drive. I'm by no means an agressive rider but getting cut off everytime i ride is getting old..

I love riding so I don't plan on giving it up. I use to commute 4-5 times a week on my bike. I'm down to weekend cruising now. I have learned my lesson and have been stacking up on more gear than just the helmet, gloves and jacket norm..

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:20 AM

im not gunna lie, i have thought about it. specially at night while im laying in bed n cant sleep. my remedy for this is gettin up the next day and going for a ride...then i laugh about how stupid it would be to quit, bc you just cant beat that thrill
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:34 AM

I have thought of calling it quits recently. Its not because of any dangers or fear. Its because I don't get to ride at the frequecy I would like. Most of my friends have hit the TD scene and I'm not able to do that. I would love to hit a track day and see just how smooth and I actually am but its not in my cards. I think sometimes its just best to get rid of my stuff and concentrate on something I can do 100% though I don't know what it is yet. BTW I have bit it and each time (twice)I never thought of walking away
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Pocketbike Racer

This post really hit home because I'm debating with myself with this same issue. As most of you know I went down on 1/1 and have not been able to walk since then, due to a fractured knee. My wife wants me to give it up. I can see her point especially when I don't even have a bike since it was totaled. I loved to ride and miss it even more so now, because I can't. I probably ride again some day but for now I'm going to walk away and just ride my son's pocket rocket! But really it is your decision, because you have to be happy with yourself!!!!
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco
I have never thought about calling it quits. For a while I thought about not riding in the street anymore and doing track only, but I still really enjoy going out on group rides and meeting other sportbike enthusiasts.

This weekend I witnessed a horrific accident, in fact, the rider is still in critical condition. This definitely shook me up and because of this, I am going to take a break from canyon rides for a while. Like you said though, its in my blood now and I actually want to be around bikes for the rest of my life.
+1 My street riding has gotten VERY sedate and I still enjoy getting out just for the "ride" I will continure to ride street but at a much different manner/pace. I get my speed kicks out where its safe...on da track!
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 AM

i dunno man, between the mods i keep doing and the thrill of beating traffic i love street riding, but whenever i hear stories or read something in crash bang boom, liek that guy Disco is talking about it makes me wonder...
but what can u do besides ride smart and try to chill out some in the twisties...
other than that, im not yet at the stage where i can go 100% and be satisfied.

post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 AM

I ride with a guy who lost his right leg mid thigh wrecking on the same corner I did 2 weeks after I did. I was new and screwed up, he had all his gear on and was cut off. I've never thought about quitting but for some I don't think the reality of what can happen is there till they see someone get hurt or get hurt themselves. Few years ago I got into track riding and now riding on the street just doesn't do it for me. I mean where else can you go as fast as you want and not worry about a ticket, not to mention an ambulance on standby. Never thought of quitting but I did change the way I rode and where.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:33 AM

my boy is in a wheelchair now... raven R1 1st year they came out... and i still went and got me one...

basically the callig is stronger than the fear.. so until i have a kid or something(hopefully being hurt isnt one) im gonna ride street.

then maybe when i have my M3 and all that, i will take the street tags off and be 100% track, i think thats more realistic.. but i dunno, everytime i say that i still think id want to have a streetbike, for those weekends or those days when you just gotta.

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockerpntbll
After my wreck i had about a month to just lay around and think about riding, and life in general. Even to this day i still think about giving up the hobby, due to safety reasons and endangering personal health. To be honest i don think i would ever give it up, its in my blood now and just love it to much. I was just wondering if anyone else thinks about this too, if the risks outway the benifits?. I dont mean to offend anyone that cant ride due to past accidents and things of that nature
sorry to hear about ur wreck. i know i'll definitely be thinking about taking a break if i'm involved in an accident, but never quitting. RIDING IS THE ONLY THING THAT KEEPS ME SANE. when i ride, i feel free and happy. i try to be careful as much as i can. i know i'm stupid sometimes and don't always wear full gear but on those occassions, i'm extra careful. only time i'll stop riding is if i'm dead or i don't have a bike.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 10:57 AM

Riding is just one of those things that I can't live without!!!
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Giving it up.. Yeah thought about it. Crashed before, which gets ya thinking. But for me thats a good thing, it brings you back to reality. Sometimes riders let their emotions/excitement get the best of them and their riding which sometimes puts them in situations they are unable to deal with.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 04:47 PM

after selling my bike last year, i seroulsly thought about giving it up. But the longer i didn't ride, the worse it got. It felt like a peice of me was missing. I figure if celebs like brad pitt and tom cruise ride, there is no reason i shouldn't take the risk either. I always ride in full gear and don't do any crazy **** out there.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltedworld
+1 My street riding has gotten VERY sedate and I still enjoy getting out just for the "ride" I will continure to ride street but at a much different manner/pace. I get my speed kicks out where its safe...on da track!
+2

IMO, those who suffered physically (not just your roadrash or bruises) in an accident start to REALLY re-evaluate their situation.

Being disable for almost a year really opened my eyes--you start to understand just how blessed you are compared to those who are permanently disable (not to say we're better). I started to appreciate the disable even more and understood their frustration of having to overcome obstacles just to get somewhere. I had to crawl, more like slide on my butt, to the kitchen to get something to eat. I couldn't stand or walk--that's how bad it was.

Then you start to think of your future or lack of if you continue to ride. But your thirst and hunger to ride increases everyday--that is if you have the LOVE for this sport.

So what do you do? Do you say, "Hey, if I die I die...at least I was doing something I love"? How selfish would that sound to your significant other or that child of yours who haven't come to age to express how he/she truly feels about your decision.

Some agrue for life insurance but I'm betting that your children and family would rather have you by their side than money.

It's a tough decision. That we can all agree on. But whatever you decide just please gear up at all times, and ride smart.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Cool

There is nothing better then geting on your bike and doing over buck50. There is nothing that would make me stop rideing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page