Buying a NEW 07 600rr for my first bike.. - 600RR.net
Polls and Research Take a poll and discuss your research here

View Poll Results: 600rr for first bike.
Yes 44 46.32%
No 51 53.68%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Buying a NEW 07 600rr for my first bike..

Yo, I know I am going to get alot of negative replies from riders out there.. but I have thought about it... so before you start to throw rocks at me, please see what I have to say.. yes I would be taking the Motorcycle Safety Course, I know my limits and im a pretty responsible guy.. Now I know theres a good chance that I might drop my bike, and that some beginners have not dropped their bike... althought the percentage of noivce riders that drops their bike is propbably greater then the ones that dont... I guess what im trying to get out of this is the opinions from both noive and experienced riders.. Just want to know.... Either your against or not, feel free to exploit yourself I'll respect it.. :icon_stud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:42 AM

The 07 as a first bike....
I have ridden other bikes, but the 07' was the first bike that I owned.
Let's just say it's do-able... As long as you can have real throttle restraint, and not overestimate your riding skills... ...it's do-able, not the safest thing, but do-able.
BTW: Good gear is a must!
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
moi, a novice, votes no

learning how to ride a bike is more important than gaining the ability of driving a nice bike. you get good experience from having a bike to screw around with. I have been driving my bike without fairings for 2 months now getting the hang of this thing. lots of slow movement and maneuvarability I'm working out before I get all anxious just because I have my license.

If a ferrari was my first car, I would never know my limits, I would only be continually pushing the limits of something I don't even comprehend yet.

until you can ride with an aware sort of confidence that you feel you know how not to push something past your own limits I would recommend either something more comfortable (F4i) or cheaper (ninja 500).

I am a regular autoXer with my car, I'm 20, and I have some great reflexes when i get the feel for something, but I never once have chanced anything to only rely on my instincts, because face it, when it's something totally new like this, you have no instincts to rely on, the only constant when you ride as a novice is gravity.

besides, let's be honest, what chick you're trying to impress with your new bike is going to know the ******* difference between an 07 600rr and an 02 R6?

Last edited by Nytehawk; 06-15-2007 at 02:49 AM.
post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytehawk View Post

besides, let's be honest, what chick you're trying to impress with your new bike is going to know the ******* difference between an 07 600rr and an 02 R6?
what chick can you impress with an R6? a blind chick??? lol.

anyway, my vote is a yes but with much caution and practice. my first EVER bike was an 06RR no prior motorcycle experience not even dirt. just took MSF, got good gear, and lots of practice. i can never stress enough how much trouble you can get in with a sport bike. but if you are mature and responsible, its possible. now riding within limits is a good advice, but sometimes the bike throws you outside ur limits and what do you do then??

so practice, practice, practice and good gear is a must. good luck my friend.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCBR06 View Post
now riding within limits is a good advice, but sometimes the bike throws you outside ur limits and what do you do then??
Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:25 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
in handling a 600 bike for first bike and that you say you'd be riding it responsibly, i can only say ride safely and have fun

in having an '07 as THE first bike; hey it's your dough, boy! :D
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

im still not sure if i will be getting a new one or not.. :)
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Ducati Champion Del Mondo

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
What's the age?

Jason

“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well, in my opinion its not wise to get a new bike as your first. You'll be more worried about dinging the bike than you will about the cell phone wielding cager next to you.

That said the one thing I noticed within the first hour of owning my 600rr was how quickly you can outride yourself.

And this is coming from someone thats been on/around bikes since I was born.

03' Yellow 600RR
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:21 AM
S VEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thrasher

I voted no. Just because its too much bike for someone who is just starting. I dont care how responsible you are... its too easy for noobs to get out of hand and twist the throttle.

Get a ninja 250. Learn the basics. Gain respect for a motorcycle. If you crash the 250 (knock on wood).. it cost much cheaper than fixing a new bike.

So... try a 250 out for a season. You can thank me later.

post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 AM

speaking as a novice who began riding 3 months ago and just got the new 07 600RR, id say no. buy either a used 600 or a new 250. (shut up it was a good bike) thats what i did. I bought a brand new ninja 250 rode it around for a few months then upgraded when i knew i was ready. It isn't the motorcycle its the damn cars. Think about it this way... you will most likely drop your first bike sometime soon. do you want to drop a 10,000 dollar bike or a 3,000 dollar bike. for me it was a no brainer. and if you don't wreck it. you can get a good trade in price so all money isnt lost.
post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Wheelies Do Not Stop At 12.00 o'clock try 15.00

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i still think 3 months is a lil soon to relize you need a bigger bike..

post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BLACK ICE~ View Post
I voted no. Just because its too much bike for someone who is just starting. I dont care how responsible you are... its too easy for noobs to get out of hand and twist the throttle.

Get a ninja 250. Learn the basics. Gain respect for a motorcycle. If you crash the 250 (knock on wood).. it cost much cheaper than fixing a new bike.

So... try a 250 out for a season. You can thank me later.
we think alike. i like that
Im selling my 250 if you are near florida. 2007 1700 miles. 3000 obo. 2 months old all maintenance up to date garage kept.
post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyNpink View Post
we think alike. i like that
Im selling my 250 if you are near florida. 2007 1700 miles. 3000 obo. 2 months old all maintenance up to date garage kept.
now that everyone has warmly welcomed you .. its time for the same treatment.. i thought you said youve been riding for 3 months... how is the bike only 2 months old?

post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuntnRR View Post
i still think 3 months is a lil soon to relize you need a bigger bike..
a lil soon but im taking it slow. I have a lot of good experienced riders helping me out.
post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 AM

i got the bike middle/late march so its on its third month now. but now it just gets started everyday and not really ridden.
post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 AM

as long as you learn to respect the bike and dont get big headed youll be fine.. just control the urges to twist the throttle hard

post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 AM

and pnp im just giving you ****.. i am a part time post whore ;)

post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:57 AM

and with all my liter bike friends its been hard. good thing im still in the break in period. I try not to push myself. i laid down 250 and i never want to hit pavement again.
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 AM

so the 250 isnt so garage kept then hersay now is it :P:P

its fun to pick on yah! well.. your like one of the only people on line thats actually posting back

post #21 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 AM

im a post whore too. it is garage kept its just well broken in. no major damage just paint scratches and a broken blinker cover.
post #22 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 AM

hehe i a bike is never wrecked until its totalled and not moveable.. it dont matter if the bike is plasticless id rock it.. :D

post #23 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 AM

like i said layed down. not wrecked. i was wrecked. road rash hurts like a bitch. i never ride without full gear anymore.
post #24 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:20 AM

I voted yes since the 07 600rr was my first bike. I haven't dropped it. As someone posted once before you can learn to ride slowly on a fast bike, it's all about how you act on it.
post #25 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 AM

Few things to keep in mind. How tall are you, age, and experience with motorcycles.

If you have no experience I would say get a kawasaki ex250. You will drop the bike. It's not if, but when.

Yes you can learn to ride a 600cc, slow riding, but it will never get up to the level had you started on a 250cc, 600cc, and then 1000cc..

That's how I did it, and man my riding skills are bad ass.

My buddies who all started riding 600cc for first bikes, then moved up to 1000cc, CANNOT ride nearly as good or comfortable with the bike as I am.
post #26 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 AM

i got a 07 rr for my first bike. it isn't a forgiving bike for learning on especially in traffic. it doesnt take long to get used to it because it is so smooth to ride. just use restraint and be smart and you'll be fine. it is so easy just to want to let it loose because it is so much fun, but you can get into trouble so quickly. get what you want, its a great bike.
cheers
post #27 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM

Listen Bro:

There's two main types of riders out there. You have to decide which you want to be.

Do you think that the people who tell you to start on a small bike just do it because they like to laugh at people riding smaller bikes? or do you think they actually have sound advice? No one wants to sit here and be your mother. The reason they tell new riders to start small is because "we" are sick of coming home, turning on the news, and finding out that another rider just destroyed himself with his brand new Hondamahazukisaki. This causes insurance rates to go up, and generally leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth about bikers. I'm not saying that if the rider had been riding a smaller bike, he would have survived. Its the FACT that most new riders do NOT have the experience necessary to know the correct way to handle a given situation. Having more power between your legs than you can handle is just asking for trouble.

Starting on a smaller bike levels the learning curve. It allows you to learn as much as YOU want to learn as FAST as you want to learn it. Once you can MAX a smaller bike, you might think about moving up. You will become a better rider because of it. Starting on a bigger bike is possible, but you will greatly stunt your growth. Your learning curve just grew 10x steeper. Its true that a lot of people can start on a 600 and be fine. I know people who have and can ride. Can they ride well? 80% of the time, resounding NO. They don't know how to ride for jack. What they're doing is Surviving. They ride around town but they arent learning anything about becoming a better rider. They're just try to survive, not to ride.

Do people who have started on 600s learn to ride well? Yes, it is possible. Will they become a better rider in the same amount of time as a person who started smaller? No way. Most of the time it would take a 600cc starter a lot longer to learn the same skills that a rider on a 500 would learn. The smaller the CCs, the faster you'll learn. If you started on a 600, and you have Rossi-like skills within a few months, congratulations: you are not the majority.

Think about why you feel you *need* a 600RR to be your first bike. This is you FIRST bike, not your LAST (and please don't make it be). No one needs the power that a 600RR puts out to ride a motorcycle. If you just want to look cool and impress the ladies, reconsider your motorcycling career. Keep your EGO in check, it will save your life someday.

All I hear is respect this, and respect that. Learning is not about respect. When you go to math class, does your teacher tell you to respect the book? Or does he tell you to attack those problem sets and practice practice practice? Also, do you start out with simple mathmatics and work your way up to the harder stuff, or do you automatically jump into nuclear physics /advanced calculus? Learning to ride a motorcycle should be no different from any other type of learning. You never learn by respect. You can get by, but I guarantee you will not pass the exam when it comes time.

So if you want to become a better rider, and have the true wish to RIDE for all that its worth, you will find a smaller bike to be a great investment for your riding career. You can always sell them later for nearly the same price you bought it for. If you want to pose and look cool in front of "teh ladiez", then get whatever you want. Hell, why not get a 'busa.

So whatever you decide, I'll see you in the canyons/track, or I'll see you at Starbucks. Best of luck.

Last edited by Raelol2; 06-15-2007 at 11:07 AM.
post #28 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymerice View Post
I know my limits
The Fuk you do...!! You don't know anything about riding a motorcycle, yet you already know your limits about it... :icon_roll are you :icon_pidu or just stupid?

i know it looks cool man, but the bike has over 105 HP and weighs less than 600lbs with you on it. do the math on thrust potential. then read a bit about rake angle and steering geometry. .5* of angle less of rake on the RR and you need a damper, that is how close you are to loosing everything in a blink of an eye. being a beginner, and having no idea of any of this, and having no fundamentals to improve upon, don't you think it'd be wise to start your motorcycling life on something a little more forgiving so you develop proper technique?

If you are as responsible as you claim to be, you'd realize that what i say is truth. some people get away with it... they beat the odds. however they are in a massive minority. 2/5 beat the odds. you want to be a part of the other 3? forget the RR and start on a standard sport bike. learn the dynamics, build your fundamentals, refine your technique, and become a better rider for it.
post #29 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:03 AM

Raelol2... dude are you a lawyer or something?

What I wrote in a few sentence, you elaborated really well. Wow.... It's exactly what is on my mind and how I would say it, if I had the proper skills to execute what you wrote.

Thanks...I now have a zx-10r, a 600rr, and now I want to get a ex250 again just to dip around and have fun.

haha. Most people want nice bikes to impress the ladies, not to get excellent riding skills.
post #30 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:08 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Draft View Post
...and man my riding skills are bad ass...

Haha, that's a great quote! But yea, the progression in engine CCs that you followed would definitely hone some bad ass riding skills.

“Give, and it shall be given to you. For whatever measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt to you in return.”

CCS# 280...I get bored easily

2010 Sponsors - if they can help a slow guy like me, imagine what they can do for you!
Vortex Racing
Drive Systems USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page