First time going down poll - 600RR.net
Polls and Research Take a poll and discuss your research here

View Poll Results: What was the reason you went down.
Rain 12 6.52%
Gravel 42 22.83%
Riding over your head 40 21.74%
Car pulled out 23 12.50%
Other....... Explain. 67 36.41%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First time going down poll

Hey guys I was wondering. What was the reason for the first time you went down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
C.F.A. member **New Joyzeeeeeee Racer YAAAA BOYYY**

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
She said it was my turn....
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
LOL ^. Guess I left it open with that one huh.

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I put other since being drunk wasn't on the list! Don't flame me, I was very young and dumb!
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Other.

Too many track days, got too comfortable going way too fast in the mountains here, knew it would bite me someday. On my official 'last street ride' I entered a 25mph left hander with no shoulder at all at about 60, downshifted, slammed the bike over to full lean, rolled on the throttle and...nothing...except the sound of my chain...false neutral...had one shot and about a milisecond to try to get it up into gear, no work. I was on an express train into a stand of trees, the only question was how fast I was going to be going when I hit em. Hard on the front stoppers into a fast stoppie, hit full compression of the forks, quick flip into a stand of trees. Bike careens down the hill, and I come to a stop with my right instep around behind my left shoulder. Hey, that shouldn't be there...

My one and only get off in 25 years of street riding. A very, very painful lesson learned. Regardless of whether you are capable, $hit can happen and if you don't leave a wide margin for error/the unexpected on a public road, you're asking for trouble.

That was 7 years ago last month and I'm just getting back into motorcycling.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
You should add target fixation in there too, thats what happened to me.

post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gravel is a piece of ****, that's all I have to say.

post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 AM

i thought the stand was down....
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Chief IronLungs

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonracer View Post
Gravel is a piece of ****, that's all I have to say.
Amen brother

Hit busters on the head like Vonage
* Im not rude, youre just insignificant

post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 AM

after doing a 170 all the crap flew out of my back pack so i pulled over, turned around to look at the bag and as soon as i turn around i somehow lost my balance and the bike went down softly..with no sliders. still cant figure out how i lost my balance.
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 AM

Car pulled out............and rain.

If it weren't for the rain I would most likely have been able to scoot around the guy but I didn't. I was the lone rider going down a 2 lane bi-directional road and he was waiting to pull out from a shopping center on the right, taking a left passing in front of me. The guy was about 75 or 80 years old......he had plenty of time to pull out in front of me for the longest time. He decided to wait until I was about 20 feet from him to pull out. I swerved and lowsided right into his quarterpanel.

I jumped right up and asked him WTF - he said he didn't see me!!!

The real kicker was he didn't have insurance......he had a card to show the FHP but when I filed the claim with Allstate they said he had let it lapse. So my insurance got hit along with my rates.

He was ticketed. I had all my bills and the police report but since he didn't have insurance and I didn't have un-insured motorists coverage I didn't get squat. Luckily I only suffered a little rash and hurt ego.
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
getting too close to another rider in the slalom at the MSF course... :01_thumbu
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 AM

Other.....Too much throttle while the back tire is on the white lines of a crosswalk...
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:59 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGxbOix510 View Post
Other.....Too much throttle while the back tire is on the white lines of a crosswalk...
Ya, those white painted lines can be a handful, especially in the wet!
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 AM

Hehe, I probably could've saved it, 50/50 chance.
Went for the front brake right before it fell....
I remember that it will either stand it up or tuck. Well, it tucked. lol
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Pocketbike Racer

There should be basically 2 options:

- rider error
- cager

Gravel, rain, etc are all conditions that you have to deal with. They don't cause accidents - it's the rider.

2007 Honda CBR600RR: Akrapovic slip-on, HEL braided lines, ASV shorties
2009 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol: Sato rear-sets, Taylormade slip-on, Pazzo Shorties
1996 Suzuki RGV 250 - Arrow pipes
post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:41 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I've only been down off-road. That was on my RM250...I made a crucial mistake, I was riding hard through some gravel roads surrounded by forest, and took a wrong turn, but I didn't realize it at the time.

So, the next turn that appeared, I was in a full sideways drift through a turn I thought I had seen many times before, when the radius of the turn decreased VERY sharply. I basically stood it up and hammered the brakes very hard(I was heading for many BIG trees, plus I was more inexperienced back then) and the front locked up and threw me off.

Happily, I had full body armor on, and dirt bikes are designed for falling so no damage there either. I managed to escape unscathed....

I almost went down a few months ago on the 600RR...I had JUST changed the tyres, hence they were extremely slippery and it JUST had started raining. Coming through a corner, i applied a bit of gas, when the rear came out very, very wide. Due to(possibly?) my dirt background, I was able to control the slide and straighten her, and was on my way....

Last edited by Raging Inferno; 09-12-2007 at 05:43 AM.
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:53 AM

i was coming into a rest stop on I-10 near tallahasse. both east and west lanes came to one rest stop. where the lanes merge, the car had a yeild sign and i didnt. he didnt yeild. i ended up in a ditch and the car just kept driving. i was pissed...
post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:58 AM

tyres weren't warmed up yet and just leaned the bike too much coming into a right hander, was down before i knew it and the bike skit about 10 metres

oh and the fact that the ground was wet didn't help!
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:44 AM

Red face

Haven't been on the street yet. Looking forward to getting back to the states from this sand hell and getting my bike. First time down on a bike was a jackass buddy of mine told me a yz-250 dirt bike was an ok bike for a starter. Well it was used and had issues starting a lot. I went for a ride and stalled it out. When I couldn't get it started and then when I would I'd stall it I lost my patience. The next time I got it started I popped the clutch and hammered the throttle. Had to jump off and ended up tearing my knee up and needing surgery. Talk about some rider error. 2 years later I was smart and decided to learn on a Honda CRF 150F against my friends saying it was a girls bike and I would want to get rid of it a month later. Still have the bike and still love to ride it. Worst two wrecks with that again came down to rider error. A buddy and I were taking turns seeing who could do this track the fastest. Well I tried taking a 90 degree turn as fast as that bike would go and little riding experience. Yea I flew way off the bike on that one. Second one was I was following another buddy who grew up on motorcycles and a great rider (Rides deals gap all the time). He was leading on his 230 and I was following as fast as I could. He saw a hill he wanted to climg and slammed on his brakes. I saw the rear tire lock up and completely missed my rear brake peg and grabbed the front brake as hard as I could. Yea I probably flew 15 feet from the bike no injuries though. Can't wait to get home and ride dirt again and start street. So yea I guess that all goes under RIDER ERROR!!!!
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 AM
C.F.A. member **New Joyzeeeeeee Racer YAAAA BOYYY**

I put other. It probably doesn't count as going down, but I dropped my bike while moving it to the backyard on a sloping wet lawn. I was on the bike power walking it, so that's why I consider it going down as opposed to just plain dropping it.
post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Had just rained, I hadn't been able to ride in days so I was itching to get out.
Long story short - I have a wicked driveway (nasty angles and bumps, no flat part to speak of)
I jumped on my bike and was trying to turn her around and my foot slipped on a wet patch and i ever so gently layed the bike down....
I remember it take what seemed like 5 minutes as I tried not to hurt her or myself. As I got it down to the ground as gently as I could I thought...ok...we're ok...just got the flashers and bar end...and then it starts to slide down the driveway. DOH!
I no longer live there
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Riding and not being 100% dedicated to what I was doing. I was being kinda lax next thing I knew got into trouble and then target fixated. Went off the road. Hit a large rock in a drainage swale and went over the front. Totally my fault. Live and learn.

Kevin

'83 Alfa Romeo Spider Charcoal (+/- 11,000 Miles)
'00 V-Star 1100 Maroon/Ivory | Cobra drag pipes | Jetted
'04 600RR Red/Black | Corsa III | Ohlins Shock | Ohlins Springs/Piston Kit | PCIII | Scotts Damper | CF Jardine Race SO | Vortex Rearsets | HRC Throttle | 520 Conversion -1/+1 | Galfer Brake Lines | Speedo Healer V4 | Jardine FE | Pro Grips | Short Stalk V
post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM

i take 2 of the ubove. riding over my head (following a fellow rider at his pace) and then not being able to negotiate a corner due to gravel... all equaled to a bike write off and me with a disslocated shoulder. friends say the bike did at least 6 cart wheels and i still rode it home.... got the F*** out of there before the cops could show. That 900RR took a **** kicking at 90 mph
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 AM

coming up on a uphill sharp curve...was looking back and next thing you know the curb jumps out of no where........4 months late i hit a truck head on riding some twisties..sucks.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Macho Office Monkey

First off not sure why this is in the 07 section but........

I have had a few close calls right after a rain fall and had no choice but to ride home, and a rear tire slide out due to gravel. Both of these close calls were only close calls and not accidents because I was considering the conditions and saw the gravel and slowed way down. Knock on wood but i have not gone down.

08 600rr Orange/Black
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=144174
Wifes new ride so pumped!!

post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM

3rd track day. i finally learned how to pass safely on the outside(group c)...got a taste of speed and got over my head! too hot into a turn and took a lowside...wasnt too bad! and lucky for me it was at the track...
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Not sure we should include dirt bike crashes here... but, what the heck. I'd have to say I've fallen at least 100 times on dirt trying to get faster (I raced motocross). Everything from low siding in a sandy corner to casing some nasty doubles and triples, grabbing too much brake when somebody decides not to go for a double, endoing over some whoops, etc...

If it weren't for the large 2-ton+ metal objects in the middle of the road trying to run into you, I would almost argue that street riding is "safer". Unfortunately the price you pay for a fall is much higher though! Perhaps on a track...

'07 Black 600rr
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:04 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

35 mph right hander that drop 20ft in elevation on the blind side that ended into an intersection with no stop sign. i was going faster but not stoopid fast. the drop added kinetic energy. my bike skidded only 10 ft but went onto the opposite shoulder where there was tall grass. bike just body slammed me into the soft dirt on the shoulder. saved me and the bike from anything other than cosmetic damage (scratches on the fairings, broken left-side mirror.) Oh, and the thud afterward was my head hitting the dirt. THANK GOD FOR HELMETS! Rung my bell but I deserve the lesson of that lowside.

Know your street/track if you intend to ride it hard. Don't trust the roadsigns, they may be obsolete. Outside-inside-outside cornering at speed limit is the best. But.......
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Training Wheel Hero

First time I layed a streetbike down was bad, and not that I was hurt that bad. I layed down my girlfriend's, brother's 3 month old gsxr. Not even mine. Needless to say I felt like a doushbag. Gravel got me at about 30-40 mph. hole in my shoulder from hitting the curb, and lots of roadrash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page