Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Shoei X14 Marquez Motegi replica

8K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Wazoo 
#1 ·
Just got it today...

Shoei X14 Marquez Motegi replica... as soon as I saw this helmet at Motegi last year I swore I'd buy it if they sold a replica. I swapped the gold mirror visor from my RF1200 onto it to see how I like it. Going to either get a new gold visor, a dark smoke, or splurge on the transitions visor for it soon. I like the gold on my RF1200 but the fact it doesn't match the gold in the helmet irks my OCD just enough I'm probably going to rule it out.

I like a lot of the little details in the graphics, especially counting the hidden "93"'s in the kitten on the back. Found 5 so far, think that's all of them. Comes with a breath guard, chin spoiler, chin/wind guard (not sure what they're actually called), pinlock insert, and seal lubricant. The visor comes with posts for tear-offs; since I know I'll never have a need for it I may end up selling the original visor to someone who can use the tear-off posts. The original clear visor from my RF1200 fits and it's pretty much never been used anyway.

Now if only my bike was in working order so I could actually enjoy the new helmet.

See less See more
#18 ·
It's pretty easy to understand actually, and, if you don't have the cash, you really should not be buying an X-14 in the first place. Also, as far as I can see the Motegi is only about $100 more than the solids at 839.99 compared to 731.99. In my opinion you would be foolish to cheap out on the graphics when you are already spending that amount of money.

Never understood why people fork out their hard earned $$'s on celebrity helmets either.
Kind of like people buying a Honda CBR1000RR with the marketing stickers of MotoGP championships on it, big deal?
You bought a Rothsman fairing kit for your bike because you thought it looked good right? Well maybe people do the same thing for helmets as you did for your bike for the same reasons. Is that too hard to grasp?

#6 · (Edited)
Like I said in my response, if you got the cash, I guess. Vinyl wrapped helmets look fine - all depends on your skill on doing it, and what all you do. Besides, who is looking at your helmet from 12 inches away? That would be really the only time if there is to be a time that someone may notice flaws in the wrap. Now that I think about it, Ive never seen a vinyl wrapped helmet over time. I bet that it peels and bubbles pretty bad, making it look like "toasted assholes".

Either way, I'd rather save the 200 bucks, and use it elsewhere. It's just my opinion. You don't have to respect my authority, lol

BTW, X14 is an awesome helmet, the fit for me is near perfect. It is a little noisy, and you do get buffeting when doing shoulder checks going fast. Also the visor be it the clear that comes with it, or the rf1200 ones you can put on are flimsy. The detents are very strong, and trying to pull the visor open with one hand concerns me that the entire mechanism will break. Beyond that I love it.

#5 ·
You have nice taste in helmets sir.

I am really looking forward to riding impressions compared to your RF-1200. I have been using the RF-1200 almost daily for the past 3 years and it has been great. Love the helmet, although I am considering adding the X-14 to my stable. Seems like it might be overkill for the mainly street riding I am doing though. Anyway, please update this thread when you get a chance to ride in it.

Oh, and get your bike in order!

#24 · (Edited)
I'll be posting up here for input on my bike issues, but long story short, I'm commuting with it again (problem is not consistent and I haven't reproduced the issue in over 6 weeks). As for impressions thus far with the X-14: I've only got about 5 hours and 250 miles on it so far and still breaking in the pads. I will echo what someone else posted about buffeting when turning your head but the couple of times I tucked down my head was comfortable and stable. I'd still get a little buffeting with the RF-1200 when tucked. No issues operating vents with my gloves on; same with opening/closing the visor. So far the visor seals better than the RF-1200; not sure if this will last. Even lubricating the seals on the RF-1200 and adjusting the tensioners couldn't adequately seal the visor. I did pick up the dark smoke visor and extremely glad I did. It looks much better than my gold mirror.

I'm not a track guy for a multitude of reasons so I will honestly say it's probably not worth it over the RF-1200 unless you're doing track days. I will probably never truly appreciate the enhancements/features over the RF-1200 in my commutes and weekend back-road rides. For me the helmet was truly a vanity purchase. I love the graphics of the helmet and my RF-1200 is looking long in the tooth; it was simply a coincidence this helmet came out when I was starting to shop around. I had an Arai Vector 2 for a few years which fit me perfectly. If Arai had a graphic I liked in the Vector 2 I'd probably be rocking another one. For me, Arai graphics have never been that great, and the ones I do like are in the upper-end models which never fit me.

Like I said in my response, if you got the cash, I guess. Vinyl wrapped helmets look fine - all depends on your skill on doing it, and what all you do. Besides, who is looking at your helmet from 12 inches away? That would be really the only time if there is to be a time that someone may notice flaws in the wrap. Now that I think about it, Ive never seen a vinyl wrapped helmet over time. I bet that it peels and bubbles pretty bad, making it look like "toasted assholes".

Either way, I'd rather save the 200 bucks, and use it elsewhere. It's just my opinion. You don't have to respect my authority, lol

I would. :smile2: My OCD would notice imperfections and it would drive me nuts considering I spent my money on it. Call me "snotty," "douchy," whatever... I appreciate quality. I don't have the income to support the "spared no expense" lifestyle so I splurge on things when I can. As I mentioned above, this was 100% a vanity thing. I don't need an X-14 (graphics or solid), I loved the Motegi graphic and do like the look of the X-14 helmet as a whole. I have the money (my Grom fund took a ding though) so I splurged on it.

Never understood why people fork out their hard earned $$'s on celebrity helmets either.
Kind of like people buying a Honda CBR1000RR with the marketing stickers of MotoGP championships on it, big deal?
Most people probably have habits others don't understand. I could name a few habits off the top of my head which I cannot fathom when I see others practicing them.

Realizing this is coming from a guy who has a MM replica RF-1200 as well, I appreciate if you don't believe me. I didn't buy this because it was a MM replica, i.e. a "celebrity helmet." I bought it because I thought it to be a beautiful graphic. I'm grateful the MM branding is limited to the small stripe on the bottom sides with the "MM93" logo. After owning the MM replica RF-1200 I realized I didn't care as much for the obvious branding/logos as I did when I originally bought it. It led to quite a few random questions - "is 93 your number?"... "how much did it cost to get that personalized with your number"... "who's 93?"

#7 ·

#9 ·
Oh you mean like the cheap ass aftermarket chinese fairings of a long defunct cigarette company?
All those people saying, there goes RothmansRR I really need to buy myself a pack of Rothmans cigarettes now!

However, the Marquez helmets are surely rolling cash straight into his pocket.

Subtle difference, not really.

#10 ·
You bought the plastics because you liked the scheme.

Why didn't you buy plain plastics?

You seem to have liked it so much that you even named yourself after it, even though it's a dirty tobacco company.

Why hate on someone for liking the helmet of his favourite racer. It doesn't even have any sponsor livery on it. What's the issue?

#11 ·
I don't think anybody is hating on anybody.

The helmet looks good, everyone agrees. The decision to spend the extra money for just the graphics on an already amazing helmet is what is called into question. But like I said, if you have the money - go for it. If you don't definitely don't. This particular helmet is already expensive, not outrageous, but expensive (for good reason, it's a great helmet). Rocking the x14 alone is enough to say "look what I got".

Again, if you got the $$$ do it, if you don't then definitely don't. Use that money that you want to burn so badly on a new exhaust and ECU flash, or a dyno tune, upgrade your suspension, get a new windscreen. Put it towards a new jacket, gloves, boots, etc... Hell, put that money in the piggy bank, for your next bike.

#12 ·
I have an x14 I don't need you to sell me one.

With the difference between a graphics model and a plain one you couldn't even put a dent in most of what you mentioned.

I fail to see where you're going with this

You don't hold any control over what other people like. Stop trying to force your ideas of what's well spent on people who don't care to hear it

The dude posted about his helmet he didn't need a lecture in finances from some Joe on the Internet.

You'll love the 14 morbo. And just so you know you can fine tune the fit as all the liner pieces can be swapped out with 3 sizes. Revzilla carries all of them

#15 · (Edited)
I get it, but maybe this would be better taken offline. I'm not harping on his decision specifically, I mean look at his pictures, he's an older man with what appears to be a nice house. He has the money. The helmet is obviously nice, and with the graphics even nicer - that's obvious I assume.

I'm not sure why you think I am forcing any decision, it is simply an opinion. Maybe I should (like I have on a couple of my posts), basically preface it with "this is my opinion, and your opinion may differ" - and let a level headed adult conversation ensue. As far as my little education goes, I kinda thought that was what a "forum" was all about.

[Redacted]

#21 ·
You bought a Rothsman fairing kit for your bike because you thought it looked good right? Well maybe people do the same thing for helmets as you did for your bike for the same reasons. Is that too hard to grasp?
Way to miss the point. Best you grasp my point before having an inconsequential rant.

I'm not referring to graphics. I like the graphics, it's awesome. I'm saying I don't understand why people spend big bucks on celebrity themed helmets.

My opinion and the point you're trying to make is not the same thing. Is that too hard to grasp?

#22 ·
I'm sorry but you haven't even expressed an opinion yet. All you have done is make a statement expressing your lack of understanding regarding why people spend fractionally more money on aesthetically pleasing helmets. I'm sorry I could not clear things up for you.:ponder:

#26 ·
Enjoy your helmet bro its your money & your noggin for you to do with what ever you please aside from that it ain't no body else's business to like or dislike

#27 ·
I bought the same helmet at the end of the season last year and enjoyed it all year... but got in a small accident and now the side is scratched up...

Guess the rule is to replace the helmet once it's touched the ground with your head in it... but the question is.. do i get the same one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.