Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Moisture wicking jacket liner

704 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  InsolentMinx 
#1 ·
Maybe a dumb question but my scorpion jacket has a kwickwick moisture wicking liner.
Do i need it in summer, won't additional liner just make me hotter or is it good for the potential sweat? I have liners like that in my winter clothes but not sure about this.

#2 ·
Personally I like to have something between me and the jacket lining when I know that it's hot enough that I will sweat. So I wear a top made out of elastane/that workout shirt material, long sleeve. Compression works better than loose but they both work. It helps stop the jacket liner from sticking to me, and the material does not stay soaked like cotton would.

It sounds like maybe this jacket has this sort of liner in it? If so, I would keep it in for warmer rides.

#3 ·
Technically a moisture wicking liner should keep you cooler and more comfy in summer, as it takes the sweat away from your skin.
I don't have any experience with this kind of liner in a jacket, but my concern would be breatheability, as if the wicking liner can't help evaporate the sweat, then it'll just be wet under the jacket.

However.....

Generally I'm quite a hot person, so would avoid any more layers than necessary. But lately I've started doing some more long distance cycling, and saw that a lot of pros and manufacturers recommend a base layer beneath your jersey. I get pretty hot and sweaty easily when exercising, so would laugh at the idea of wearing something under the super thin lycra jersey.... but if the pros do it, I thought I'd give it a try with a cheap vest from a reputable brand.... and wow does it work!

It's a mesh kind of material, so very thin and lightweight, it barely adds any bulk under the already tight jersey... yet I feel so much more comfy when riding, and don't feel at all sticky with sweat as I usually would.
So in theory, yes a wicking layer really can work wonders if there's enough airflow.
I'm not sure I'd wear it when moving slowly, like running or hiking... but i believe the layer could work well on your bike, if the jacket has some good ventilation.

Leave it in and wear it for a ride, see what happens. Worst case you can bundle it up and shove it under the seat if you get too hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.