Hit by car turning right - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hit by car turning right

Does anyone know if it is legal for a bike to split lanes on the right hand side of a car (next to a curb) in California? I was actually the car driver in this instance. Was in the far right lane, and signaled to turn right at the intersection. Looked over my shoulder and checked mirror and didn't see any bikes (bicycles). As I proceeded to turn right, I was struck by a scooter that was splitting lanes in the far right lane. Clearly he was moving faster than a bicycle as I didn't see him in the time I checked. Going through insurance, he is claiming that I am at fault. I searched on this forum and on google to see if I could find any information, and could not find anything specific. If anyone has any information or references to California laws, specific to this instance, I would greatly appreciate you sharing.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
This link might have the answers to your questions
http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/right_of_way.htm

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Coming to a Honda forum for information like this is kinda stupid. This is an important question, and this is the wrong place to ask it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks for the quick response Moeman! Apologies for posting in the wrong section.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by apate007 View Post
Does anyone know if it is legal for a bike to split lanes on the right hand side of a car (next to a curb) in California? I was actually the car driver in this instance. Was in the far right lane, and signaled to turn right at the intersection. Looked over my shoulder and checked mirror and didn't see any bikes (bicycles). As I proceeded to turn right, I was struck by a scooter that was splitting lanes in the far right lane. Clearly he was moving faster than a bicycle as I didn't see him in the time I checked. Going through insurance, he is claiming that I am at fault. I searched on this forum and on google to see if I could find any information, and could not find anything specific. If anyone has any information or references to California laws, specific to this instance, I would greatly appreciate you sharing.

Thanks in advance.
i didnt read the link - but in my mind, unlike splitting BETWEEN lanes - the right miost lane is at the end....to the right of the right lane is either curb and/or parked cars

cars in the right lane who are about to take a right turn will not look in their ride side view mirror for anything (more often than not) -- they will be looking for pedestrians at the cross walks perpendicular to where you are travelling

even IF it were legal, i wouldnt suggest it....even if you are also turning right

if the car youre next to takes the turn too sharply, you will sideswipe him and possibly go down

why take the risk?

Safe Riding!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apate007 View Post
Apologies for posting in the wrong section.
You didn't post this in the wrong section, X is basically saying coming to a motorcycle forum looking for legal advice isn't the best thing to do. Even if someone can link you to something specific pertaining to what you were looking for you will need legit legal advice on the matter for a resolution in the end.

In other words get a lawyer who can find the specific laws and statutes pertaining to your case and state and don't listen to a bunch of Google searching Internet "lawyers" tell you what they think you may need.

I will add that because it was a scooter, in this state at least, the laws pertaining to those scoots with moped plates vs. motorcycle plates are different and the moped plated scooters are treated more like bicycles.

Mike

Last edited by Miweber929; 01-07-2015 at 07:32 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
You didn't post this in the wrong section, X is basically saying coming to a motorcycle forum looking for legal advice isn't the best thing to do.
Sorry, Mike's right. I should have been more clear. The question you're asking is an important one, and I hope you find the proper info quickly. This just isn't the best place to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page