What a pile of... - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What a pile of...

The article, if you can call it that, is titled "If you buy a motorcycle, you will die".

http://gawker.com/if-you-buy-a-motor...die-1674022287

Reading it left a seriously bad after taste in my mouth. This guy quotes some statistic and just plain out blames the motorcycle for the deaths. Nothing about gear, training, or even the state of mind of the riders.

While I normally wouldn't post this kind of garbage on here, this particular one I think had to be shared to show some seriously irrational hatred and fear of motorcycles and riders alike by some others. The comments are another fun bunch.

I'm now off to finding something fun to offset this sewage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 AM
BOTM Winner 04/14

Garage
Just sell the bike before it's too late STEVE!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You may not like it, nor is it terribly well written but it's not that far off. Honestly one the largest over represented segments of motorcycle crashes are the middle aged riders who are trying to be Hells Angels or relive SOA but in reality have no business being in a bike for the reasons you mentioned above.

Doubt anyone is going to Gawker for hard hitting news regardless, and the comments to the article are crazy at best, but you better get used to these ideas being what the general public feels (a lot of the time) if you're going to ride.

Very good older-aged friend of mine says basically the exact same thing every time I get on the bike, mention the bike or even talk about it. It's an understanding between us and is lee joking at this point but not THAT uncommon for non-riders to feel these thoughts. If it others you get some thicker skin.

Mike
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Eh, I typically ignore articles like that but for some reason this particular one got under my skin. Maybe it's the writing. Maybe it's the blanket statement that bikes will kill you. I don't like to blame an inanimate object for mishaps that are caused by the operator. I've come across plenty of anti-motorcycle and anti-rider articles before that were well written and actually supported with good background information and facts and enjoyed reading them. This one is just trash.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
Eh, I typically ignore articles like that but for some reason this particular one got under my skin. Maybe it's the writing. Maybe it's the blanket statement that bikes will kill you. I don't like to blame an inanimate object for mishaps that are caused by the operator. I've come across plenty of anti-motorcycle and anti-rider articles before that were well written and actually supported with good background information and facts and enjoyed reading them. This one is just trash.
Couldn't agree more, this is trash.

A. Everyone is going to die at some point in their life regardless of what or if one even has any spiritual beliefs, if someone can't accept that then have much bigger problems than wanting to have fun "again"

B. There are many things that are quite unrealistic relative to how many riders, or at least myself, got their start. I spent 4 summers on dirt bikes before even taking the 1st msf course, at 23 years old, and started on a cbr250r...maybe I was overcautious, but in my case half my family actually didn't know I had a bike for 3 years and I didn't want them to find out in some ER with doctors all around me like it's Black Friday and I'm the last of that toy the store has which is the only thing their kid wanted for Christmas.

C. Use my personal start as an example, I have no kids, no wife, no obligations that usually become the driving reason why I "can't" ride and yet I took every precaution possible, hell the dealer I've bought both my bikes from is only about 10 minutes from my house but I still refused to even get on that 250 until I had about the minimum amount of gear I'd need to get on my 600 3 years (on 2-1-15) after taking her home.

The irony here is I always, near literally always, thought the driving force against people that ride were those that bought a liter bike, before even knowing the damn shift pattern or how to start the engine. Where in this case it's still someone that is still clueless, but probably just fell off a bicycle and never rode anything ever again...I was always one that believed stupidity must show itself to be identified as such but really, it doesn't need to get out of bed anymore because sheer naivety has taken over...end rant

I feel better now.

1971 Volkswagen 1302 (02.19.2015 - )

For Sale:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/153-07-13-rr...0rr-c-abs.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:29 PM
BOTM Winner Jan 2015

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hate Gawker. I read them for years and once I started reading Reddit I realized they do nothing except repost from there. They choose not to report on so many of the major world events that I also came to realize they are just as bad as Fox News or CNN except they pepper in shitty click bait like this. Gawker is garbage so don't let the opinions of sheep upset the lion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

https://40.media.tumblr.com/68b9f92683e3e0506dd727af79363281/tumblr_ntyw0v9hrk1ufoouto1_500.jpg
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinfo View Post
I hate Gawker. I read them for years and once I started reading Reddit I realized they do nothing except repost from there. They choose not to report on so many of the major world events that I also came to realize they are just as bad as Fox News or CNN except they pepper in shitty click bait like this. Gawker is garbage so don't let the opinions of sheep upset the lion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
lol, I see what you did there. well said.

For Sale:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:22 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I don't accept articles like this, where the author uses fear as his main component. It's ridiculous everyone is going to die. I'm not going to avoid taking risks just so I can die of old age. What's the point of having a life if you're going to avoid everything just so you can die of old age. Dying of old age isn't an accomplishment. It's a sign of a daredevil either making it through his mischievous days and having the greatest stories to pass on to his grandchildren. Or a sign of someone that lived such a boring life that no one is going to remember him. The people that let their fears rule their life are the ones that miss out on life. There is no guarantee that any of us are going to die or live on a motorcycle. Hell one of us could end up tripping on some stairs and dying that way with a broken neck. Anything can happen. Excuses are just that. Excuses.

TL;DR I'm not going to avoid taking risks so I can live an unhappy uneventful life and arrive at death safely in old age.

2A7X3. Aircraft Structural Maintenance.

Any corrosion (Paint, priming, identification, etc) or Fabrication (Sheetmetal, Fiberglass, Tubing, etc)
questions, go ahead and ask and I'll do the best to respond to the best of my knowledge.

Current : '08 CBR1000RR 20160213
Wrecked: '05 CBR600RR 20151221 RIP

Crashes: 2 minor low speed lowsides, 1 50MPH impact.
Injuries: 0 Broken bones, possible tear in shoulder.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YG27 View Post
I don't accept articles like this, where the author uses fear as his main component. It's ridiculous everyone is going to die. I'm not going to avoid taking risks just so I can die of old age. What's the point of having a life if you're going to avoid everything just so you can die of old age. Dying of old age isn't an accomplishment. It's a sign of a daredevil either making it through his mischievous days and having the greatest stories to pass on to his grandchildren. Or a sign of someone that lived such a boring life that no one is going to remember him. The people that let their fears rule their life are the ones that miss out on life. There is no guarantee that any of us are going to die or live on a motorcycle. Hell one of us could end up tripping on some stairs and dying that way with a broken neck. Anything can happen. Excuses are just that. Excuses.

TL;DR I'm not going to avoid taking risks so I can live an unhappy uneventful life and arrive at death safely in old age.
Exactly, there's a statistic for everything so just chill out...have fun, but live.

For Sale:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Heh, found this gem on RideApart:

http://rideapart.com/articles/buy-a-...-die-will-live

The author seems to have the same issue with the article as I have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyoha For This Useful Post:
cbrkat28 (01-16-2015), shinfo (01-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page