noob insurance question! in jersey - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
noob insurance question! in jersey

hey im from jersey and have an insurance question.
i recently got my first bike and know that i want to get full coverage. i have two other cars on progressive so i was thinking about going with them (bundle stuff), and they only offer a 12 month policy. i am going to garage keeping my bike and am not worried about theft when it is in my garage. to save money i was thinking of (was suggested by the rep i spoke with on the phone) canceling my policy when the riding season is over and then reinstating it when it is back to riding season, or changing my policy settings in the winter to be lower and have minimum coverage.
what have you guys done?
would canceling the insurance and reinstating it cause any registration issues?
would it cause any issues with lowering my rates after i get a few years of riding under my belt?
thanks in advance guys everyone has been more than helpful with answering questions and concerns for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Pocketbike Racer

just a quick story...i had my first RR for about 2 months when i decided to drop my full coverage for liability. since i paid cash this wasnt a huge issue...not even a week later my brother took it to work to (ironically) buff out some scratches in the tank cover. on the way into work he t-boned a car that pulled right out in front of him at 40mph. luckily he was ok and it was not his fault, so the totalled bike was covered by the a$$holes insurance. i now have full coverage again and have not even considered anything less... just something to think about!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Knee Dragger

I normally just change my policy to liability on my bike over the winter but I will not move it until I get full coverage on it. If you plan on riding it at all during the winter keep the full coverage on.

Also if you drop your insurance on your bike in New Jersey, the dmv will want their plates back. Then in the spring you will have to go back to the dmv and re-register the bike.

Last edited by eagle; 01-21-2015 at 11:39 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I normally just change my policy to liability on my bike over the winter but I will not move it until I get full coverage on it. If you plan on riding it at all during the winter keep the full coverage on.

Also if you drop your insurance on your bike in New Jersey, the dmv will want their plates back. Then in the spring you will have to go back to the dmv and re-register the bike.
ok thanks for your insight. i have taken the insurance off my mustang at times and have not returned the plates before but im not sure if that is just because it may have slipped though the cracks.
how much is your insurance a year for full coverage if you don't mind me asking? i have some tickets and stuff on my license and just wanted to do a comparison to see if thats the reason it is looking so high
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Knee Dragger

Just a quick question, but how much is full coverage for you all? 19 and liability is 325 a year, not a bad price but I know full coverage would be out of the question.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
24 yo, speeding tickets, defensive driving course, full coverage= $530 annually. Will go down next renewal as my insurance carrier requires 5 years of "proven" experience to decrease premium.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i'm 25, with speeding improper passing and a few other stuff. i took the motorcycle course. basic coverage for me is 166 annually and for full coverage with a customized package is about 700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page