Near or NOT so Near Misses - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Near or NOT so Near Misses

So I was driving to work this morning in the car when a dog ran out across in front of me. Could not have missed him by more than a foot.

Got me to thinking about how lucky I am to have never had an animal run out in front of me or try to chase me on my bike.

Just wondering if any of you have had a near miss or not so near miss. ?

By not so near I mean you took something out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Near miss with a dog that was off the leash in his owner's front yard. Like some kind of pitbull mix. It ran at me so I used the MSF technique, slowed down to throw his course off and then gunned it when get got closer. It scared the dog, pretty sure he yelped so loud the owner thought I hit it.

I've seen deer many times. I just slow down because they travel in packs usually.

Was following my parents to the lake. They were in my dad's F-150 with a trailer. They hit a dead possum and it kicked up into my path so I just hit it with the front tire. No damage, just little bits of flesh stuck in a few places.

Nothing other than that.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 05:42 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Near misses of deer all the time in my favorite riding area. It gets to be almost a sixth sense. You're hustling along mountain and canyon roads, everything is going fine, then when there's a nice blind curve you know you barely have to roll off to get around I do anyway because I can't see around it. Sure enough as I round the corner there's Bambi & family doing their still life impression of crossing the road.
I'd say I see deer every 2nd or 3rd time out. Just another reminder that the roads aren't a race track. I always leave something in reserve and with enough margin to evade or stop. Doesn't mean someday Bambi won't ambush me but so far I've seen them before we're both sorry.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

In 10 years and 290k miles.... waaayy too many to list, lol

But the 2 that stick out were both dogs.... one back in 2005 and my friend Gabriel and I were on a trip from south Florida up to Birmingham, AL to visit the Barber museum. We were in the middle of nowhere in the Florida panhandle, I was leading cruising along at about 70 mph, about 9 pm or so on a very dark stretch of 4 lane divided highway. Suddenly in my headlight there is large grey furry animal laying in the road (already dead), which I believe to be a dog (or possible coyote). Either way it was about the size of a german shepherd or the like. I only had a split second to make a decision.... to hit it straight on and hope for the best, or try and swerve and maybe miss it, or maybe hit it at an angle which would be way worse than hitting it straight on. So I decided to hang on tight and hit it straight on..... BOOM!! According to my buddy behind me, the bike went airborne for a short ways, and the dog (or whatever it was) pretty much exploded. I was still going 70 mph when I hit it. I gathered my marbles and everything seemed good, so we kept on going. We get to Tallahassee where we were meeting with several other riders, and soon as we stopped, my buddy comes up and says "dude..... THAT.... was disgusting!"

Next was in 2007 when I moved up to Athens, GA from south Florida. I lived on a kinda curvy rural backroad outside of town a little ways. There was a house up the road that had a small German Shepherd that was nuts.... one of those dogs that apparently hated the sound of a sportbike and would go nuts when he heard one, and was never contained in the yard, just ran loose. What sucked was coming from my house, this yard was around a completely blind curve, so I couldn't see him as I was coming up, but he could hear me coming and was already charging towards the road as I was coming around the curve. He ran out in front of me and tried to chase me I don't even know how many times. I even saw him almost get hit by cars coming the other way as he darted out in the road after me.... saw an Expedition do a nose dive one morning trying to avoid him. One day coming home he heard me coming and ran out.... I had already slowed down as I approached the house, but he timed it just right and I hit him. Not sure how much of the front wheel hit him but my right foot hit him pretty good.... actually made my foot hurt pretty bad. He yelped and it knocked him around a little bit.... it scared the crap out of me and my house was just up the road so I kept going. I was still shaking when I pulled into my driveway, but decided to ride back there and at least make sure he was alright and wasn't laying in the middle of the road or something, which he wasn't. Next couple weeks he just kinda sat in the yard and barked at me as I went by, but after awhile started chasing me again. I finally stopped in at the house and told the people what was going on and that they needed to keep their dog contained before one of us got killed. It was good for a little while but eventually started back up again, but then I moved to a different house anyways so I didn't have to worry about that one anymore, lol

But yea out here in the sticks where I live, it's allllll the time sometimes. There's been more than one time coming home from my buddy Scotts house late at night, I was literally doing about 35-40 mph the whole way (55 mph roads) just because I had soooooo many animals run out in front of me. I have had 2 black bear encounters too...... I just stopped waaaay back and let them do their thing, lol

-Jared

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 304,500 miles and still kicking
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 438,700 miles still running strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Don't think I would want to hit a bear.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Tons of near misses on deer, dogs, possums, turkeys, etc.

Took out a deer on a Ninja at 70mph. Cut the thing square in two, and covered me head to toe in blood, guts, and hair.

Back in my younger "go 100mph everywhere because you live in the sticks" day, I had a long stretch of empty straight road near my house. Two in the morning heading home, I decided to see what my CBR929RR would top at. While wearing tennis shoes. Had a cat run out from the ditch just as I crossed the 160mph mark, right into my left lower and foot. Must have spun it around and went into the chain because the entire rear wheel, sprocket and underside of the tail was covered in blood. Broke my dang foot, too. Luckily that was the only issue, as I got off easy compared to the alternative.

Never did that again. Definitely a wake up call.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DC area's beltway. All around the year but more so out of riding season. Too many asshats merging into the space I'm already occupying. I remember one clearly on GW parkway when a woman started to cross directly into me so I blared the horn and fell back behind her. She didn't even bother to look in my direction as I hit the horn and merely continued on her merry way. Doubt she even realized there was a bike... Had me wanting to put an air horn for a few days after.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Took out a cat at a really bad angle trying to avoid it. About 10pm I'm cruising, going about 45 mph when I see a pack of cats in the middle of the road. I slowed down to about 30 and starting going to the right shoulder, as I'm about 10 feet away, one of them looks me right into my soul and runs toward me. I swerved left to avoid it and it did the same (I'm guessing trying to avoid me). I hit it at an angle and got my front tire off the ground. When the tire came down it was at an angle and got a little tank slapper and slid the bike about 15 feet into a mailbox. Luckily bike and myself were unharmed but I can't say the same for the cat. My girlfriend is behind me in her car and as she's approaching me the cats brother runs out in front of her and she kills it.

Suicidal cats I guess.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRacing. View Post

Don't think I would want to hit a bear.

Me neither. Solid animals. Would be like hitting a dumpster. Funny enough the same area I am always encountering deer there was a group of college kids up from NYC hiking last summer. They encountered a bear. Thought it was cute at first. Till it started chasing them. The proved the joke about not having to outrun the bear but just having to outrun your friends. Bear caught one of them. Ate him, or good portions of him.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Reminds me of when I was an undergrad in western MD. A bear made its way onto campus. A campus wide advisory went out to keep kids inside until the thing left. It was amazing how many people came out instead to try to photo the creature. Darwin was itching that day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page