The Official CYCLING Thread! - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs up The Official CYCLING Thread!

Not sure if there's any interest out there but instead of spoiling the "latest purchase" thread, I thought maybe we can have a little corner of our own to chat all things cycling.

I'm a little overwhelmed by all the options available for pedals/shoes, shorts, gloves etc. The bike I purchased does not come with pedals so I started looking around and now I'm looking for some recommendations on the following:

1. Shoes/pedals - Basically something that can do it all (off roading, commuting, etc.) what are some good brands/combos?

2. Shorts - Again, what brands? Padded or not?

3. Gloves - Looking for something with leather and preferably knuckle protection. Again, brands, what's good and what's not.

I know at the end it comes down to personal preference, but what is the general consensus?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ahhh, a subject that I LOVE.

1. I use SPD pedals, campus type. Flat on one side, cleated on the other.

2. I use Fox shorts for MTB, and Store brand for roadies. Both padded.

3. For gloves, palm protection is what I go for, and there are a LOT of good brands.

I have to say that cycling literally saved my life. When I had my heart attack last year, being fit for the 10 years prior got me through it according to my doc. The 45 years prio are what tried to kill me.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
Mina (02-17-2015)
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:18 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,046 Times in 852 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i use shimano xt clipless pedals

http://www.jensonusa.com/Pedals/Shim...lipless-Pedals

with specialized comp mtb shoes

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ftr...shoes/comp-mtb

mine are the model that this model replaced.

what sort of riding are you doing? this will make a huge difference in the direction you take with equipment. i have a cx bike that i mostly ride on the road and light trails (chose cx for speed, but also having a bit of tire so bumps aren't as awful as a full on roadie, as well as the ability to ride off pavement).

i chose to go with a more mtb pedal and shoe setup because they are more rugged, and the shoes have treads on them so you can actually walk around in them comfortably, the clips don't touch the ground. Road shoes you can forget about wearing anywhere but on the bike. they are still plenty stiff for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
Mina (02-17-2015)
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Which shoes are you wearing with those pedals, X?
Saw them one of my Youtube adventures and was intrigued by the idea.

Main reason I got a MTB is so that I can lose a few lbs, get in shape and build my stamina for track riding. I know it's old news but glad to hear you're ok, bud.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
what sort of riding are you doing? this will make a huge difference in the direction you take with equipment. i have a cx bike that i mostly ride on the road and light trails (chose cx for speed, but also having a bit of tire so bumps aren't as awful as a full on roadie, as well as the ability to ride off pavement).
Exactly this. Mostly road and some light trails in-between. The bike I bought is classified as a XC as well. I'll take a look at your suggestions, thanks!
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
awesome! which one did you get?

i didn't get anything too fancy. just an AL frame specialized crux disc. i DEFINITELY wanted disc brakes, they are really a no brainer, but also wanted drops. it's basically just an all around "fitness" bike, that isn't depressing to ride a decent distance. it's got quite low rolling resistance and you still get good power transfer, it's very easy to keep a good speed going so you can actually use it to commute.

those shimano pedals are also big enough that you can wear normal shoes without much issue on them. not that you'd go on a serious ride, but it's doable. if you get shoes that work ok to walk in, you will probably stay in those anyway.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Wait, I don't know if it's a XC lol, I saw it listed somewhere as a XC though?:

KHS Sixfifty 800 Carbon
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
HAHAHA

yours is an xc bike, mine is a cx bike... (cross country vs cyclocross)

nice bike dude. but seriously just go to a bike shop and try on some mtb shoes. make sure you can actually walk in them.

this is what i ride...

Last edited by wibbly; 02-17-2015 at 10:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
Mina (02-17-2015)
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
but seriously just go to a bike shop and try on some mtb shoes. make sure you can actually walk in them.
^^^ this ^^^

Roadie shoes aren't as critical, but you WILL walk in MTB shoes. Carry a chain breaker and spare chain/links too. trust me on this one.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Lol my bad.

Yeah, I'm picking up the bike some time this week, supposed to be Friday but I'm going to try and get it sooner. Just wanted to get an idea of what I should be looking at while I was in the shop so I don't look like a complete newb.

Post pics of your whips, boys!
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

I have disks on one of my road bikes too.

post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
and buy cycling shorts!

they are expensive, but you absolutely won't regret it. not one bit.
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:43 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
do you feel that the zertz actually offer any amount of compliance to the ride? or is that just a huge gimmick.

my gf is the real cyclist of the family (she has three, a mtb, road, and tri), but couldn't care less about the techy stuff. i know more about her bikes than she does haha.
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 AM
World Superbike Racer

I've gotten back into MTBing a couple years ago after riding all the time when I was younger and love it, even raced for the first time last year.

1. Thing is I HATE clipless and even though I've tried over and over to feel comfortable in them it's simply not happening comfort wise so I've decided this year I'm running toe clips on my road bike and flats with 510 shoes for the MTB. Last year at my race I had a younger kid in front of me bog down in the mud and I went down trying to get around him because I couldn't get out in time. Then when you want to walk around the cleats clunk and no matter how hard you try you still walk funny which hurts my back as well. Just not worth it to me.

2. Padded shorts. I have a Fox setup with a padded liner and a speerage "outer" which allows me to wear whatever over. Work great, well worth it. Get two sets, one can dry out while you wear another if you go everyday.

3. For gloves I use Fox fingerless. Like X said palm protection is key, far more than knuckle which is different than motorcycle gloves. Find some that are comfortable and go with those.

Above all if you're new to this TRY STUFF ON LOCALLY BEFORE BUYING. I'm all for ordering online but have a LBS that works with you and you feel comfortable with because no matter what you will need them at some point. And they will help with fit, sizing and what works locally; once you get a good baseline you can start doing more online. There are so many "experts" online that can steer you wrong very easily simply by differing geographic conditions and because you move around so much on a bike, little differences are magnified 10x and you may find something that works great for someone in Colorado sucks in Illinios.

I stumbled on Trek/Gary Fisher 29er bikes a few years ago helping a buddy buy a Trek hybrid and got back into biking after talking to the shop guy about how I had stopped riding because I could never find a fit that worked; at 6'3" I always fell between 20" and 22" and just felt too big. He suggested Fishers middle sizing and 29ers and I've been hooked since. I picked up a Fisher Utopia hybrid to ride with my buddy and then decided I wanted more off road so I tried a bunch and bought and sold a few low-mid level bikes until last winter when I stumbled one night on a Trek Superfly AL for a good price on eBay.

Thought I had such a nice, lightweight bike I'd try racing last fall which was fun; I loved the bike but the shifting just wasn't right all year so what started as a set of XT shifters this winter turned into me building a completely new '14 Superfly 9 from the frame up for this year. Hoping to race more and drop some weight, this is by far my favorite bike I've ridden.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	148458  

Last edited by Miweber929; 02-18-2015 at 08:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
Mina (02-18-2015)
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Great thread idea! I am in the market for a MTB this spring, but have no clue what is out there nowadays. Had a nice Cannondale ten years ago, and a decent Trek a few back, but not sure what to get this year. Have thousands of miles of trails around my area, but have utilized them.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Miweber, thanks for the suggestions man. I'll look into it. Any racing footage you care to share? Would be cool to watch!

Chad, I've been eyeing mtb's for quite a while, going through local private classifieds it was hard to find something decent that people didn't want an arm and a leg for.

Then I googled local bicycle shops and I kept checking their, "winter/clearance/sale" section until I came across the bike I bought.

Maybe you should try doing the same, what kind of budget you working with? Hardtail or full suspension? 650 or 29er? Enough choices to make your head spin.

Last edited by Mina; 02-18-2015 at 11:23 AM.
post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:27 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Take a look at felt bikes. Very nice quality and very well priced. My gf has two
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:52 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Mina, there is a bike shop in the next city over that is always running deals, especially on prior model years. Probably going with a HT over FS. The trails around here are pretty well groomed dirt trails, so don't know if I'd need a FS.

Trying to stay in the $1500 range, $2K tops.

Thanks Wibbly, I'll keep them in mind.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:37 PM
BOTM Winner 12/16

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regarding the pedals, I prefer shimano

I Always use padded shorts

Even for road biking I used mtb shoes since they seem more comfortable to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6racr View Post
Great thread idea! I am in the market for a MTB this spring, but have no clue what is out there nowadays. Had a nice Cannondale ten years ago, and a decent Trek a few back, but not sure what to get this year. Have thousands of miles of trails around my area, but have utilized them.
I have a basically unused TREK wahoo 29er if you're interested in looking at it some time.
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sweeeet a bicycle thread! I bought a 2012 Trek Superfly hardtail last summer and rode the sh*t out of the thing. Logged about 850 miles in 6 months and eventually ended up cracking the head tube. A known defect, so Trek replaced the frame with a brand new 2014 SuperFly 9.8! I haven't even gotten to ride the new frame yet since it's been bitter cold but from what I understand, this thing rips corners like it's on rails. I can't wait to try it out.

I use SPD pedals and Specialized shoes. I like POC gear (VPD soft knee pads and Trebec helmet).

Best gloves I have found are plain old Mechanix brand. I don't like a heavily padded glove and Mechanix provide just the right amount of protection and are tough as nails.

I definitely recommend shorts with chamois liners. They make all the difference on longer rides.

And my new frame:

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.

Last edited by LanCo Rider; 02-20-2015 at 11:25 AM.
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6racr View Post
Mina, there is a bike shop in the next city over that is always running deals, especially on prior model years. Probably going with a HT over FS. The trails around here are pretty well groomed dirt trails, so don't know if I'd need a FS.

Trying to stay in the $1500 range, $2K tops.

Thanks Wibbly, I'll keep them in mind.
Stick with a hard tail. With some skill you can tear through some pretty gnarly stuff.

As for price, check some local shops for a leftover model from last year and try to make a deal. They will do their best to move old inventory.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Hard tail definitely has its place, I own one. There are places that it's not the right bike. It depends on what you have locally, and how you want to ride.
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Hard tail definitely has its place, I own one. There are places that it's not the right bike. It depends on what you have locally, and how you want to ride.

Absolutely. You will know when you're in some gnar that you should have a full suspension for. By the time you realize that, it is typically too late LOL

I would LOVE to have a downhill bike with some good trails for such. I went to Mountain Creek Bike Park and hit up their downhill park... What a freakin blast. Completely exhausting style of riding but so amazing. There is nothing like feeling that long travel suspension doing it's work as you sail over some big ass jumps and over rocks that you're sure are going to take you out.

Quote:
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanCo Rider View Post
Sweeeet a bicycle thread! I bought a 2012 Trek Superfly hardtail last summer and rode the sh*t out of the thing. Logged about 850 miles in 6 months and eventually ended up cracking the head tube. A known defect, so Trek replaced the frame with a brand new 2014 SuperFly 9.8! I haven't even gotten to ride the new frame yet since it's been bitter cold but from what I understand, this thing rips corners like it's on rails. I can't wait to try it out.

I use SPD pedals and Specialized shoes. I like POC gear (VPD soft knee pads and Trebec helmet).

Best gloves I have found are plain old Mechanix brand. I don't like a heavily padded glove and Mechanix provide just the right amount of protection and are tough as nails.

I definitely recommend shorts with chamois liners. They make all the difference on longer rides.

And my new frame:
Nice bike, I wish I would have gone carbon but man are they expensive and being a big guy I still get nervous about their durability for a biggie. You'll love the '14, I have only heard good things about the geometry change (the reason I sold my '13 SF and bought the '14) and they are supposed to be very compliant compared to the "older" geometry. I've only pedaled around the neighborhood here and there (it's butt cold here too) but so far it's a very responsive bike.

One thing I hate about Treks warranty is they give no thought to colors; not that your bike looks bad, really, but everything is red accented and they sent you a green frame. What do you but it's one of those things that triggers my OCD :)

I edited them out but god, I'd give anything to have terrain like that around me, love the pics!!!!!
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
One thing I hate about Treks warranty is they give no thought to colors; not that your bike looks bad, really, but everything is red accented and they sent you a green frame. What do you but it's one of those things that triggers my OCD :)

I edited them out but god, I'd give anything to have terrain like that around me, love the pics!!!!!
Don't worry, you're not alone with the color coordination. I actually bought some heavy duty adhesive-backed vinyl to cover the green initially. The more I look at it, the more I have grown to like it so I think it is going to stay after all.

The pic is from a trip to western North Carolina that my gf and I took. I absolutely love Asheville, NC and the surrounding area. We've been there three times in the last year and are headed back at the end of March!

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to LanCo Rider For This Useful Post:
Miweber929 (02-21-2015)
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Just brought it home!

Picked up the following shoes/pedals:

Shimano SH-M088L

Shimano PD-M780

The shoes were surprisingly comfortable and I tried to clip/unclip a few times in the store and it's not as hard as I thought. I was definitely a little intimidated trying to do it for the first time though, almost fell flat on my face. Pretty damn excited to ride this thing! Come oooon spring!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mina For This Useful Post:
LanCo Rider (02-26-2015), Miweber929 (02-21-2015)
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 02:43 AM
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015

Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,146 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
here is mine when i first got it, or at least early on.... has not been used in a while but sure will try to get out there again this year. have all the gear... and also have a spare dirt bike lid, which i think will become my new MTB lid

YouTube Channel

----------------------------------------------------------------
kali_cbr600rr - build/progress (2007 blue/silver)
kali_cbr600rr - GoPro/Video adventures

4 sale: A Lot Of Stuff - Look at the "For Sale" section!!!
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Looking good, Kali. I'm in the process of helmet shopping, I think a ff helmet is over kill unless you're doing some serious downhill/mountain racing.
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:42 PM
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015

Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,146 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
yeah, some of the runs are not very safe.... if you go down, might not be a good day at all, so the more protection the better. remember one time where we smoking down hill, and right before a turn there was a separation in the ground, pretty big, so i jumped it and then side stopped into the hill ----- it looked perfect to my buddy and like i mean to do, but i just got lucky - can't imagine face first without a ff lid on that thing - that would hurt like a mofo. although if i did crash, am sure it would hurt either way, and not just the face

YouTube Channel

kali_cbr600rr - build/progress (2007 blue/silver)
kali_cbr600rr - GoPro/Video adventures

4 sale: A Lot Of Stuff - Look at the "For Sale" section!!!
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Moto GP Racer

Just picked this up from a friend as a secondary ride. Got an awesome deal on it.

2009 Fuel EX9

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page