about to make a trade! - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
about to make a trade!

Hi y'all. I currently ride a 2012 cbr600rr that I purchased brand new as a carry over in 2013 (paid 9,800 for it). Love the bike but last week I found a 2015 drz400sm supermoto at a dealership. Had to call about it, and they ended up offering to trade me straight up for my cbr. I still owe about 7k on the cbr which is about what the drz retails for new. So I could make the deal, have my old loan paid in full and start fresh with the drz. I understand these are two completely different machines so it's all up to my preference as far as opinions go. Neither is better, they can't be compared. However, any objections or opinions regarding the drz itself would be much appreciated. So whoever has owned one please chime in as I am having a hell of a time deciding. The motards just look so irresistibly fun and it's honestly getting kinda old riding a full bred race bike on the street. Just my opinion there. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That DRZ is going to be a thrill, every single time you get on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
forced induction (03-02-2015)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

A couple of pics to help you understand my dilemma. The one of the drz is the dealerships pic of the bike all stock. So It will change alot if I get it as my bank agreed to loan me an extra $2,000 to spend on new gear and some extra goodies for the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00H0H_3VcC7i6W8gy_600x450.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	149673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140727_153814.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	149681  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This isn't an easy question, and honestly only you can answer based on how you plan on using it; like you said these are two completely different bikes with two distinct purposes.

The down thing with sumos, especially the small displacement ones, are they are limiting in speed, long distance travel, passenger ability and longevity. All things are arguable and yeah, I know someone's brothers, friends, cousins, uncle who travels for days on end on his KTM EXC but in the end getting on the bike, riding two hours away to catch a great group of roads with your friends and being able to ride home in "moderate" comfort on the interstate are out. Or at least REALLY not fun as the DRZ has a 2x4 plank for a seat, no wind protection and is so light it's wobbly in straight lines at high speeds if it's windy. NOT a great highway ride.

However if your idea of fun is banging downtown jumping curbs, riding down sidewalks, playing around in parking lots or light trails all in an area of 50 miles from your house, you'll love it. I always tell people who ask me a sumo is an incredible SECOND bike, but not an only bike unless you want to do the above things. Lots of guys on my local forum swear by them, but lots have also sold their SS, bought a sumo and sold them a year later.

Also, a DRZ is a very pokey bike stock, you'll need to do some research to get anything out of it but it can be woken up with some modes (3x3 is one, pipe and jet kit make a difference) but in the end will always be heavy and slow compared. My dad has a DRZ400S that he loves but will tell you my WR450 will eat it for lunch and still have leftovers for days. So be prepared for roughly 1/3 the power you're used to. Lots of torque, though.

REALLY consider how much this bike will cost you in the long run and what resale will be as well as your intention on how you see yourself riding it before making a decision. There's a reason the DRZ SM is still made all these years later, it's a great bike. But there's a reason they are not more popular, at least in this country.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
forced induction (03-03-2015)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Read about a 450 big bore kit they make for it. That along with re jetted carb should help wake it up some. Either way I'm sacraficing alot of horsepower. Im going to the dealer tomorrow will update afterwards. So far i really want that bike. I thought of using a cr450r or something bit figured they're designed for short bursts around a track, then be shut down. So you would think they would require much more frequent rebuilds, as the drz is already intended for street duty. I heard they can hold their own at the track too (at times)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Official Dealer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Get a full system, and a handful of jets, both mains and pilots, carve open the airbox and get a UNI filter in there. I was able to play around with one and watched it go from stock to Big Bore, Daily driving was fine before the big bore, after that it just became a gas hog, a whole lot more fun between stoplights or signs, but I would not drive it on any big long trips with out really upping the gearing to calm it down a bit.

I think it was perfect with a full exhaust, gutted box, hot cams and plus two teeth in the rear, VERY hard to keep the front wheel on the ground.

Bike is still running strong but doesn't get used as much any since he went and got a KTM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page