Car for Graduate? - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Car for Graduate?

So I'll be graduating this May. I've accepted a position where I am currently a co-op, so I'll be able to save up enough money within the next year to get myself a car that isn't a complete pile like my current vehicle.

Having the motorcycle isn't a factor in this decision. To clarify, I don't care about it being able to tow the bike or a trailer, and I really want a 2 or 4 door (5 door/hatchback is cool too). I want something stick shift, reliable, RWD or AWD. I'm really good at spending money, but if things go well over the next year, my budget for the car could be about $40k. Ideally, I would find what I liked, out the door with TTL, for much less than 40k so I could have money for mods once the warranty runs out.

This doesn't have to be specifically geared towards finding me a car, just post the things you like or dislike based on experiences (or just opinions). Preferably, the comments would all be relevant to cars that most people could reasonably afford.

Cars I Like:
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
2014 Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z
2015 Subaru WRX/STI (base or STI)
2015 Dodge Charger V6

I'm liking the Mustang the more I look at it. I haven't really found anything else exciting on the market yet. The new Focus RS is coming out in 2016, but I could bet that'll be outside my price range. Any other new cars coming out that should be on my radar?

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd save the cash or maybe start your retirement fund...a car is just going to depreciate, and right now isn't the best time of year to buy.

1971 Volkswagen 1302 (02.19.2015 - )

For Sale:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/153-07-13-rr...0rr-c-abs.html
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Well, I wont graduate until May this year. And then I have $26k in student loans to worry about first. I just like to think in advance, and fantasize about not having to drive this piece of **** Oldsmobile Alero anymore.

I will be signing my offer letter this week at some point, so I'll know the exact details of the company contribution to my 401k, which I'll be taking full benefit of. I will also be saving up a considerable portion of the total cost of the vehicle. I don't want to have loans that last more than a couple years, if that.

Regardless of my financial situation, and the current car market, I want to know what vehicles people are seeing that makes them go "Yeah, I'd drive the balls off that." Or what cars turned out to be major let downs when compared to their hype? I've heard the Scion FR-S/Sub BR-Z has 2nd gear grinding issues. I'm specifically hoping someone with input on a new ecoboost mustang will chime in, because thats what I'm liking the most.

Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'll sell you my grand prix for 38k.... that's under your budget!!!

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I understand the enthusiasm of getting a good career job after you finish school, i was there a few years ago.
My advice is to buy a used car. Let someone else take the initial depreciation, buy something that's 2-5? years old? You'll get a nice clean car, still reliable, and less depreciation.
IF ur stuck on the new car thing, you seem biased towards the new Mustang, i would strongly recommend to wait until they release the new Camaro, it would be a shame to buy a mustang then realize you would have picked the Camaro had you only waited 2 months.

2008 CBR600RR
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Challenger SRT8!

S2k

MR2 turbo

Impreza WRX

E46 M3

E92 335i

2015(6?) Miata

List can go on.

Side note: Just picked up an E36 328i myself and boy did I forget what having torque feels like after putting around in my Cooper S for a few years.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
Challenger SRT8!

S2k

MR2 turbo

Impreza WRX

E46 M3

E92 335i

2015(6?) Miata

List can go on.

Side note: Just picked up an E36 328i myself and boy did I forget what having torque feels like after putting around in my Cooper S for a few years.
Challenger has fake hood vents. Immediately disqualified.

Buying any used tuner car (S2K, MR2, etc) that hasn't been modded is like finding a needle in a haystack. Also, I want something turn key, not a project. Most older vehicles start turning into projects pretty quickly. While all of those cars are great vehicles, finding one in the conditions I would require to not be paranoid and have buyer's remorse the first time something went wrong is going to take a long time. But I do have a while, so I'll keep my eyes open.

I do like the looks of the new Miata, but it seems a little bit too small for me. Maybe I'll have to go test drive one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka2sb View Post
I understand the enthusiasm of getting a good career job after you finish school, i was there a few years ago.
My advice is to buy a used car. Let someone else take the initial depreciation, buy something that's 2-5? years old? You'll get a nice clean car, still reliable, and less depreciation.
IF ur stuck on the new car thing, you seem biased towards the new Mustang, i would strongly recommend to wait until they release the new Camaro, it would be a shame to buy a mustang then realize you would have picked the Camaro had you only waited 2 months.
See, if I buy a used car cheaper, the amateur mechanic in me is going to want to throw parts at it, because more than likely the warranty will up or almost up by then. And with the way my bike was modified when I got it, I don't trust the redneck ingenuity that people tend to throw at their vehicles in this region. I'm not dead set on a new car, I just don't trust people to maintain their vehicles to the standard I would.

Also, I get your point, but I don't like the new Camaros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
I'll sell you my grand prix for 38k.... that's under your budget!!!
Is it at least the GTP model? If it is, I'll take it. I have this image in my head of me rolling real slow across campus, windows down, shades on, speakers maxed out (and obviously blown because GM), pointing and nodding at every female who even remotely glances at my swagmobile. And at every stop sign, I ghost ride the whip, while I do the Lebron powder thing, except with business cards that have nothing on them, aside from one word. "Swag".

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post

Is it at least the GTP model? If it is, I'll take it. I have this image in my head of me rolling real slow across campus, windows down, shades on, speakers maxed out (and obviously blown because GM), pointing and nodding at every female who even remotely glances at my swagmobile. And at every stop sign, I ghost ride the whip, while I do the Lebron powder thing, except with business cards that have nothing on them, aside from one word. "Swag".
Nah... but for that price I'll install a supercharger for you lol

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look into the new Fiesta ST coming to the states. It should be here by the time you're ready to buy. Turbo, M6, AWD. Going to be a winner.

2010 Cadillac CTS-V
2008 Honda 600RR (For Sale)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 09:00 PM
Knee Dragger

Go lease a new Scion FRS. Then in 3 years when you're making more money you can get a new car without having to worry at all about the depreciation of the car. Or if the car is worth more than the guaranteed future value that they gave you at purchase and you love the car just finance the rest of whats owed and buy it. But honestly in 3 years who knows, we could very easily have cars that get 100 mpg and drive themselves. The way technology is advancing it doesnt make sense to buy a car anymore. The typical loan term is 5 years and people are trading in their cars every 3 years and eating that cost anyways.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Maynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post

MR2 turbo
Yep.

Quote:

Buying any used tuner car (S2K, MR2, etc) that hasn't been modded is like finding a needle in a haystack. Also, I want something turn key, not a project. Most older vehicles start turning into projects pretty quickly
My 93 turbo had light mods done to it. Boost controller and a trust pipe exhaust coupled with a short ram filter. That's it. And I got it for $6750, it had 97k when I got it. I'd rather spend $7k on a car that's more fun and cooler than a generic Mustang for more than quadruple the amount. That's just me though. I love this thing and won't ever get rid of it, it's a nice car and I get compliments all the time... even from lifted truck owners and muscle car guys.

2W1R

2012 M1100 EVO
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 12:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

I bought the beetle for $300 lol...even though the taxes were 9x my expectations after everything on it is finished I'll have less than 10 in it.

For Sale:
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:16 AM
Moto GP Racer

I don't know anything about your financial situation and you've given no info so im saying the following assuming you're of average college graduate age making average college graduate money:

Unless you're spending tons of money on your current car to keep it running, dont get a new car. Like others have said, buy used only if you need a car.

Sure its fun graduate and have a job where you're finally making decent money but if you instantly upgrade the rest of your life, that new money doesnt go as far.

What new graduates fail to realize is if they continue to live their 18-24k/yr lifestyle while making 40k+/yr they are in a much better position down the road than someone who graduates and gets a nicer place, a better car, and some gadgets they've been wanting.

Graduate, create an emergency fund, make contributions to your companies 401k, get some investments going, and start paying off your debts.

If you're making serious cash because you're graduating with a STEM degree, what i said is still true but can also be ignored since you're now living life on easy mode.

2006 HONDA CBR600RR: SOLD JUN'13

FLUTTERSHY
600rr.net Crash Stats: Will You Crash?

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 03:38 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CepheiA View Post
I don't know anything about your financial situation and you've given no info so im saying the following assuming you're of average college graduate age making average college graduate money:

Unless you're spending tons of money on your current car to keep it running, dont get a new car. Like others have said, buy used only if you need a car.

Sure its fun graduate and have a job where you're finally making decent money but if you instantly upgrade the rest of your life, that new money doesnt go as far.

What new graduates fail to realize is if they continue to live their 18-24k/yr lifestyle while making 40k+/yr they are in a much better position down the road than someone who graduates and gets a nicer place, a better car, and some gadgets they've been wanting.

Graduate, create an emergency fund, make contributions to your companies 401k, get some investments going, and start paying off your debts.

If you're making serious cash because you're graduating with a STEM degree, what i said is still true but can also be ignored since you're now living life on easy mode.
+1, interest can really add up.

For Sale:
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 03:42 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Manual 350z... cheap, reliable, mod-able, supposedly heaps of phun

2009 cbr 600rr
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Buddy of mine bought a brand new 14 Wrx otd for around 26k I believe. Another friend just bought a brand new ecoboost mustang and loves it so far. (Only has a couple hundreds miles on it, so I'm sure he's still a little bias). If you are going to buy new I would wait until around August. That's typically when the best deals are to be had because there trying to push out old stock off the lot to make new for the new model year and they have pretty good incentives.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Women are mental terrorists. They bleed for almost a week and don't die. Of course they're crazy. Seriously. End of discussion.
R.I.P PHATSTUD

officially addicted to track
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CepheiA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkat28 View Post
+1, interest can really add up.
Thanks for the life advice. I understand all of that already, and I said I was going to pay off my debts and start the 401k. I'm looking for insight on cars though.

My current car is an Oldsmobile Alero that will bleed me dry if I let it. So yes, a car is a priority for me. Not looking for a project car, not looking to "get lucky" buying used.

Last edited by G Money; 03-17-2015 at 07:47 AM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the life advice. I understand all of that already, and I said I was going to pay off my debts and start the 401k. I'm looking for insight on cars though.

My current car is an Oldsmobile Alero that will bleed me dry if I let it. So yes, a car is a priority for me. Not looking for a project car, not looking to "get lucky" buying used.

I can see why changing the car is a priority!!! Hahahahaha

Good luck with the pursue, I have to agree with most of the guys here... Too much money... But hey!, its your money... If you can afford the cars you listed go for any of them..

I would go for the Subaru.

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:29 AM
Knee Dragger

Buy a hellcat, 20k extra, and you will be pushing around 700hp.

2006 Cbr600rr
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Knee Dragger

^^^and theyve ALL already been recalled
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
First off: Go slightly USED. Very rarely does it work out better to buy new unless incentives are steep or you plan on keeping it for 10 years. I've own over 25 vehicles and I just turned 30.

Look into a 2008/2009 BMW 335i or 335xi ....GREAT platform. MANY are dealer maintained and driven by unknowing older crowd.

I was not sold on them until my brother got one. Now that he has over 130k miles on it without a single issue pushing WELL over 600hp; my thoughts have changed.

The Subi WRX was a good choice too.

'07 CBR600RR Track-Only Demon!
Nesba/N2/PRE/TPM/Roger Lyle "A" Group // CCS #306

'08 GSXR 600 Blue ~ Current Bike
'07 Yamaha R6 Blue ~ SOLD
'08 CBR600RR Silver ~ SOLD
'06 Yamaha R6 Black ~ SOLD
'08 GSXR 600 TrackOnly ~ SOLD
'08 GSXR 600 White ~ SOLD
'08 Yamaha R6 ~ SOLD
'07 GSXR 750 ~ SOLD
'12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory ~ Crashed/SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Black ~ SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Phoenix TrackOnly ~SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Red/Black ~SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Blue/Silver ~SOLD
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm a pretty lady!!!

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Get insurance quotes before you get too serious.

2012 Suzuki GSX-R1000

2W1R elCapitan

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try!"
Alexander the Great

"You can go to hell, I'm going to TEXAS!!" Davy Crockett

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Happy Catholic

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Drive an FR-S then a new Mustang, toss them both around corners, then I dare you to buy the mustang.

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Maynard

Get an MR2 or I will kill you.

I will kill you until you die.

2W1R

2012 M1100 EVO
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tec crx View Post
Drive an FR-S then a new Mustang, toss them both around corners, then I dare you to buy the mustang.
The 2nd gear crunch issue really bothers me with the FR-S/BRZ. I don't want to pick up a manual car just to have to get used to skipping 2nd when its cold or putting up with grinding all the time, so hopefully that will be addressed by the time I'm ready to buy. Other than that, I can't see why I wouldn't like the FR-S.

Have you driven a new mustang? I haven't, but among other things, they're no longer solid rear axle. Fully independent all the way around, so the handling should be loads better than previous models. Plus, the ecoboost can be relatively safely pushed over 300 hp with CAI, catback, and tune. This is exactly what Speedhunters did with their project ecoboost. Doing that to an FR-S/BRZ would require rearranging the engine bay and adding the forced induction components.

Probably will end up test driving both multiple times before I buy.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoubleR View Post
Get an MR2 or I will kill you.

I will kill you until you die.
Kill me so good. So good it hurts. Because I don't think I'll end up with an MR2. Wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'm not gonna spend my time hunting for one in the right condition. I'd sooner import an R33 if I was going to go for older JDM cars.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I had an mr2 for years, most fun I've had from any car I've owned, but a true PITA to work on.

I'm a huge boxer motor fan, and I plan on a BRZ in the future, but I own an old lower mileage AWD legacy wagon that I trust to get me anywhere and plan to keep.

Most of my friends drive subaru's, some with 250k+ and they really do hold value well.

You can't go wrong with Subaru! ...Unless you get a mid-late 90's EJ25, then you might blow a head gasket 😁

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Kill me so good. So good it hurts. Because I don't think I'll end up with an MR2. Wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'm not gonna spend my time hunting for one in the right condition. I'd sooner import an R33 if I was going to go for older JDM cars.
You want the R32, not the 33.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagg92 View Post
I had an mr2 for years, most fun I've had from any car I've owned, but a true PITA to work on.

I'm a huge boxer motor fan, and I plan on a BRZ in the future, but I own an old lower mileage AWD legacy wagon that I trust to get me anywhere and plan to keep.

Most of my friends drive subaru's, some with 250k+ and they really do hold value well.

You can't go wrong with Subaru! ...Unless you get a mid-late 90's EJ25, then you might blow a head gasket 😁

If I were building a rally car a caged GC8 coupe with a full ej257 swap is the only way to go...hmmm.

For Sale:
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkat28 View Post
You want the R32, not the 33.

If I were building a rally car a caged GC8 coupe with a full ej257 swap is the only way to go...hmmm.

I was just referring to reliability purposes, daily driven like the OP was asking. Those years had a OE head gasket problem with the 2.5's, the car itself is great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page