How big is space? - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How big is space?

This is just our solar system, and it's bigger than you thought.

If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel - A tediously accurate map of the solar system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's awesome. Note as awesome as real space. Real space is awesome in the fullest extent of the word awesome. Whenever I see this stuff or any astronomy programs that puts it in some sort of perspective it always makes me think of how ridiculously insignificant our whole setup here on earth is. Hitler, Stalin, Napoleon, or any attempts at world conquest? So? Big deal. That ain't ****. Global warming being the end of the world? Yeah? No, don't think so. End of our world, but the earth will keep going on just fine without us. Massive asteriod obliterating the earth? In the grandest scheme of things almost a non event. Then things like the Kardashians or or Donald Trump commanding our precious few moments in time in our little spec of existence? Please.

Another great wake up call of perspective recently was a doc I saw on the earth's interior. How what we call and recognize as the earth and life isn't much more than a thin film on the surface like pond scum. How that whole possibility has much to do with massive tornadoes the size of Texas of liquid iron under the earth that allow for our planet's protective magnetic field that otherwise would have the surface and all life zapped out of existence by cosmic X and gamma rays bombarding the earth. Nifty setup we have here. Tiny. Insignificant. Fragile. Lucky.

Last edited by PdubRR; 08-10-2015 at 08:32 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
My next door neighbor, Casey, is a Cosmology professor at Texas A&M. We have awesome chats.

Did you know that the average density of space is one proton per 2 meters by 2 meters by 2 meters. That is SOOOO close to empty. Anyway, I could go on and on. I study Cosmology every single day. My home page is space.com and nasa.gov on two tabs.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:35 PM
BOTM Winner Jan 2015

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
My next door neighbor, Casey, is a Cosmology professor at Texas A&M. We have awesome chats.

Did you know that the average density of space is one proton per 2 meters by 2 meters by 2 meters. That is SOOOO close to empty. Anyway, I could go on and on. I study Cosmology every single day. My home page is space.com and nasa.gov on two tabs.

That is cool. I'm fascinated by the theory of time so I do a lot of reading on it, and space is a major factor in it. That is cool to have someone like that live right by you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

https://40.media.tumblr.com/68b9f92683e3e0506dd727af79363281/tumblr_ntyw0v9hrk1ufoouto1_500.jpg
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Was thinking that this was a TH asking how big was the space under the seat on the 600rr:D

Have a look at the corrent NASA and ESA missions if you want to improve the knowledge concerning the ner space, rosetta, philae, dawn and curiosity are sending ton's of info and pics right now. Check also Mars pics, you'll be amazed how near is that place to our desert.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
My deck is bigger. My neighbour's wives always tell me I have the biggest deck, and that they love sitting on it.

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page