Do i dare speak this?!?! - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do i dare speak this?!?!

in a honda forum.... im going to talk about the DRZ400SM. im REALLY about to pull the trigger and get a 2014 DRZ400sm. can i get thoughts about this bike??? i love my 600rr. but i feel like maybe this bike would be way more fun? please leave your thoughts!!!!

You can be a fast and highly skilled rider with chicken strips. All that means is you understand the limits of traction and speed as it relates to your cornering ability and road conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:02 AM
Training Wheel Hero

That's the move I made this year and I have zero regrets. People will think you're crazy but whatever, get the bike that makes you happiest. I personally have way more fun on my tard than I ever did on my cbr. Learned alot more about riding from it too. So many types of bikes out there for us to enjoy it's silly to stick with one model imo. Trying new things is good I say go for it!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I wish the NC700X wasn't so dorky.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Also btw thumpertalk.com is a great place for info on the drz, as well as all other supermotos. Depending on what you want your motard to do you may want to consider one of the higher strung bikes like a husky or ktm. Keep in mind though they are pricey and require much shorter service intervals. If you want to compete on the track the drz will not keep up. I don't race mine so its not worth it to me. Best option if you can afford it, is drz for the street and put the cbr on the track where it belongs. The drz is reliable as a rock and parts are easy to come by if needed. My only complaint about the drz is i wish it had a 6th gear to make it a little more highway friendly. Not that i ride on the hwy much as it is boring as f*#k. Oh and you drop a motard= no big deal, cheap plastics, no harm done. Drop a sportbike= big expense. Insurance for motards is cheap. Riding upright is a great change of pace. and people who ride supermoto tend to be more skilled riders than those that have only ridden sportbikes on the street (just sayin, don't take offense everyone) They will bring out the hooligan in you but you can take them off road to get that out of your system so you don't get tickets for riding wheelies everywhere you go lol. It takes discipline to keep them on two wheels. Long post i know, just thinking of all the things that i considered when making my choice. Good luck with your decision, hope you enjoy it as much as i do if you get one. I'm sure you will though, it is the secret ultimate fun factor that only motard riders can understand.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I rode a buddy's DRZ-SM a few weeks ago. My opinion is that I couldn't have one as my only bike. Like FI above me said, highway riding isn't the best, and here in Michigan we don't have the fun mountain twisties to play on. If I lived 20 minutes from Deal's Gap or something similar, it would be the bee's knees, but if you live in a grid like setup like Michigan, it gets mundane really quick. I also felt like the DRZ could use an extra 150-200 cc's of displacement to make it more enjoyable.

FI above was pretty spot on about all the points he made. If you make the switch, and find you don't enjoy it after 2 months like all my friends who switched did, the good thing is DRZ-SM's hold their values pretty well, so you can always sell and jump onto something else.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 AM
cyclesector.com

Feedback Score: 85 reviews
DRZ's are great! For city and backroads riding, I would definitely say its way more fun. Like cbr6racr said, they do hold their value so you can ride the crap out of it and sell it for pretty much the same price you paid, if you decide move onto something else later.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,045 Times in 851 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Before you buy it, do your best to ride some other motards. The drz is the crappy one of the bunch by a long shot, a lot of owners discover this the hard way when they start riding with other motard owners

There isn't really anything wrong with the bike itself, its just slow and heavy, but that's reflected in the price
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 AM
cyclesector.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Before you buy it, do your best to ride some other motards. The drz is the crappy one of the bunch by a long shot, a lot of owners discover this the hard way when they start riding with other motard owners

There isn't really anything wrong with the bike itself, its just slow and heavy, but that's reflected in the price
It really depends on what he prefers. Yes the DRZ is heavy, but its low maintenance, bulletproof, and you can put a ton of miles on those. I started with a WR250X, that thing is slow, but it was comfortable, low maintenance, and still fun as hell. I then moved on to a SMR510 and then a CRF450R because I was only riding on the track, those bikes are not for commuting. I'm glad I started with the WR and would still love to own another one as a street bike.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,045 Times in 851 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The ktm 690smc isn't heavy on maintenance at all. Service intervals are about 4500 miles. It'll also do 120mph.

The Dr is more like a commuter than a hooligan bike. That's all im saying
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM
cyclesector.com

The 690smc is a badass bike, a friend I used to ride with had that. It is also much more expensive and harder to find.

For a noob to supermotos though, I would still recommend the DRZ. You can beat the crap out of it and it keeps going, and since its cheaper and hold their value, you don't worry so much about dumping it, which you will (if you are riding it right )

Then once he's got some skills he can decide if he wants to upgrade.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:03 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post

This tends to be the general opinion on the DRZ's. I still want a Motard pretty bad but I need a bigger garage first.

Look into a KTM 500 EXC and convert it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

thanks for the feedback guys! actually i misplaced a number, its a 2013 DRZ400SM. the reason im getting it is because i KNOW its more fun than a cbr, ill still keep my 08 rr forever. i modded it to the point where it IS my bike and no one else can have it period. unless they buy it in a different country, because i don't want anyone else to have it, i don't want anyone else to say they modded it and i don't want anyone else to rep MY custom bike :)

ANYWAYSSSSSSS...

a little about the DRZ im about to buy.

it has 11,000 miles on the clock.
hes asking 5,300 for it (which is like..... CRAZY GOOD!) (got him to 5250, yeah 50$ wooo right? well its gas money that will get me there and back. so its fair.)
the mods include (proof with receipt)

Aftermarket parts list
Keihen fcr 39mm carb kit from the tt store
Mrdssw full exhaust
Acerbis hand guards and sm front fender
Moose racing braided brake hoses
Bar end mirrors
Zeta brake hose clamp and exhaust heat shield.
Twin air foam filter (in the bike) k&n filter will come with it.
Ddm tuning hid hi/lo hid kit
Bridgestone s20 performance tires. Both in great condition.
Drc edge tail light and custom bracket for US plate.
Tt store case savers.

the exhaust itself and the carb are things i dont have to worry about spending more money on. it just has everything i really would have put on a motard. im really happy that im getting this bike. because for some odd reason its been up for sale for atleast 2 months now. and its like a sign that I myself am destined to get.

You can be a fast and highly skilled rider with chicken strips. All that means is you understand the limits of traction and speed as it relates to your cornering ability and road conditions.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6racr View Post
here in Michigan we don't have the fun mountain twisties to play on.
This is something i left out, where you live should be considered for sure. On that note, In cool states like texas you can even street legal say a wr450r. Not the case here in wisconsin. I wish we could at least have the drz400E model here because they come stock with a pumper carb.

Also don't rule out what wibbly said. I made the same thread for when i was trying to make this decision and he gave me the same advise to opt for the ktm 690 and i admit for a while i did wish i listened to him. I spent a lot of money trying to make my drz something it isn't when i could have just listened to him and got a ktm. However my unique circumstances saved me again and i still don't regret it one bit because i am single with no children and my bike is all i have that i care about. So i have nothing else i want to spend my money on anyways, so i show all my love to my bike lol. I even gave it some fluff wibbly just because i can, how do like them apples lol. And it truly is a little gem of a bike in its own right even with its shortcomings. Its a heavy girl (for a motard), a little under powered, isn't the most beautiful bike out there, but you can beat the snot out of them and they just keep chugging away forever providing many years of great fun. For some of us they just plain make the most sense. Plus you can always build a 2nd track tard out of a crf450x or some other mx bike for cheap that will stomp even a ktm 690 so that's another idea to consider. Tis my plan...your ktm is going down wibbly!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Dude thats a good deal! its already tricked out as much as you can ask for. That carb kit is worth almost 700 bucks alone. Congratulations man! your gonna love it i promise. Lucky you get to keep your cbr too, i had to sacrifice mine to get my drz. If you really want to go all out you can add a big bore kit too someday since everything else is done already. Procycle.com sells everything for these bikes.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 12:43 AM
Training Wheel Hero

SUPERMOTOS are the ish!!! Do it!!! Don't look back I love my sportbike but I LOVE supermotos.. Ain't nothing like it.. Straight hooligan machine.. I love riding fast and hitting track to much to get a super over my cbr buuuttt I have a buddy who mobs through the local canyons on our tails with the drz.. Get it
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:57 AM
Knee Dragger

i got a drz 400 loved it, but it felt massively underpowered for me personally, i want a 690smcr instead soon, i blew my drz up though!

full Leovince SBK straight through system
pair block off
gutted intake
PC3usb with custom map
gold 520 DID chain
gopro mirror block off mount
fairings by race candy fairings UK
R and G fork and swingarm spools
R and G engine covers
Annitotri QS pro
Tripage IT tail light
Tripage exhaust mounted number plate bracket
HRC rear brake res kit
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced induction View Post
Dude thats a good deal! its already tricked out as much as you can ask for. That carb kit is worth almost 700 bucks alone. Congratulations man! your gonna love it i promise. Lucky you get to keep your cbr too, i had to sacrifice mine to get my drz. If you really want to go all out you can add a big bore kit too someday since everything else is done already. Procycle.com sells everything for these bikes.
i know :) thats why i was like holy crap im jumping on this NOW! and if i wanted i am certain i could turn around and make a profit on this bike. but i wont. i really really wanna go off road, on road. and a lot of crazy stuff :) im so excited! i thought to myself.... this bike has EVERYTHING i was going to put on a bike! so the price was just... amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd128 View Post
SUPERMOTOS are the ish!!! Do it!!! Don't look back I love my sportbike but I LOVE supermotos.. Ain't nothing like it.. Straight hooligan machine.. I love riding fast and hitting track to much to get a super over my cbr buuuttt I have a buddy who mobs through the local canyons on our tails with the drz.. Get it
hahaha CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit-01 View Post
i know :) thats why i was like holy crap im jumping on this NOW! and if i wanted i am certain i could turn around and make a profit on this bike. but i wont. i really really wanna go off road, on road. and a lot of crazy stuff :) im so excited! i thought to myself.... this bike has EVERYTHING i was going to put on a bike! so the price was just... amazing.

hahaha CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!
These threads make me want one hahaha ugh... Can't wait to here all about yours...
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

^i will definately post some sort of something up here ;) ill maybe get a video.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page