Motorcycle Parking - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motorcycle Parking

It's been awhile since I posted, but I wanted to get the opinions of others on this topic.

I live in an apartment complex - that should tell you a lot right there.

Our complex always has a parking problem. There are way too many vehicles and not enough spaces. Each apartment gets one assigned space, with the option of a garage or additional space sold separately (but always sold out since I've moved here). The few unassigned spaces are regularly taken up by vehicles that basically just rust away in them and never move.

That being said, there are four unassigned spaces right outside my apartment. One of those four is reserved specifically for motorcycles. Sounds great, right?

The problem is that a new rider here - I don't know who - regularly parks his motorcycle in an unassigned space, thus taking up one of the three spaces left. The reserved motorcycle parking space is literally right next to it, but he never uses it.

Is it out of line for me to leave a note requesting he park in the motorcycle space instead? Legally he may continue parking where he is now - it's not exclusively for four-wheeled vehicles - but I feel like the polite and considerate thing to do would be to just park one damn space over where a space has already been made specifically for bikes.

I also feel like the fact that he does this makes other drivers think it's okay to park in the motorcycle parking, instead... which I also hate.

Thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
He/she should park in the motorcycle parking. I wouldn't have any problem telling them that.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

The two or three times I've ever seen him actually park in the motorcycle space since he first arrived (which was about two months ago), he's parked his bike diagonally across the entire space, making it difficult or impossible for any other bikes to share the space - and I know he sees me parking to allow room for others every day.

The other motorcycle space across the complex regularly has four motorcycles in it. Drivers never steal it. It's like all the idiots live on my side on the complex. Drives me nuts.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Nothing a solid punch in the throat won't fix. People suck, seriously.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just knock his bike over...or move them yourself. :)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I've truly considered simply moving his bike myself, but I wonder what he'd do to the vehicle he finds in its place once that happens.

I also don't know whether there's anything illegal about doing that here in Arizona...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 07:45 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamzboy View Post
Just knock his bike over...or move them yourself. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
I've truly considered simply moving his bike myself, but I wonder what he'd do to the vehicle he finds in its place once that happens.

I also don't know whether there's anything illegal about doing that here in Arizona...
I'm not a violent person but if I saw you moved my bike without my permission for ANY reason you'll have trouble touching anything for several weeks while your hands heal up in a couple casts. You might not like where he parks but it's not up to you to police it and physically move his bike to where YOU want it.

Call the front office; if spots are at such a premium and there are designated cycle spots he should be using them. And/or as stated earlier: talk to the person. You have no idea how far a simple "Hey man, I see you ride. BTW these spots here are for bikes and they ask we use them" will go.

Don't be passive aggressive, do something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
CBR_Bitty (08-21-2015)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:06 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I'm not a violent person but if I saw you moved my bike without my permission for ANY reason you'll have trouble touching anything for several weeks while your hands heal up in a couple casts. You might not like where he parks but it's not up to you to police it and physically move his bike to where YOU want it.

Call the front office; if spots are at such a premium and there are designated cycle spots he should be using them. And/or as stated earlier: talk to the person. You have no idea how far a simple "Hey man, I see you ride. BTW these spots here are for bikes and they ask we use them" will go.

Don't be passive aggressive, do something.
What he said ^ ^ ^ , best advise in my opinion.

2008 CBR600RR

The Following User Says Thank You to FLIPDAWG For This Useful Post:
CBR_Bitty (08-21-2015)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Garage
There are few situations worse than having to explain common sense to someone, coz they normally don't have it or don't use it.

Common sense... so usefull and so underrated...

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I'm not a violent person but if I saw you moved my bike without my permission for ANY reason you'll have trouble touching anything for several weeks while your hands heal up in a couple casts.
So you're not violent in what way?

I would rather talk to the guy but then he might not like you pointing out his ignorance and probably create tension.

No better solution but I guess it all depends on how you approach and talk to him. Notify the office is another option.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Training Wheel Hero

There are so many times where I get fired about an inconsiderate idiot, and I go to confront them, ready to battle, and they respond with "Oh no! I'm so sorry, my bad. No a problem!" And I feel like a huge prick.

Go talk to him. If you don't get the desired response, go to the apartment management office and complain.

2010 Bennche Megelli 250R- SOLD
2007 Honda CBR600RR

"Riding a bike is an art- It's something you do because you feel something inside." - Rossi
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Pocketbike Racer

just talk to him about it, be cool. i recently had someone park on my gf's designated spot literally right outside our door and his front fender about 8 inches from my bike (not a complex, its a private 4 apartment corner lot) to talk to my neighbor. i walked outside FUMING, didnt freak on the guy but def gave an attitude. afterwards the guy started a very short convo with me and he was incredibly nice and truly sorry for parking where he did. made me feel like a real douche.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:54 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
So you're not violent in what way?
Earlier you suggested he tip the bike over or move it, I'm saying if that were my bike and you moved it without my permission, while I'm normally not a douchebag tough guy, I'd break your ******* arms for messing with my bike.

That make it more clear? :)

You're statement of talking to the owner is the right way to handle this situation and if you act like a decent person who's not a confrontational **** there should be no reason for tension. You don't have to point out he's wrong, but make it a simple conversation about parking and you'd be surprised what dealing with situations in a calm manner can do.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Actually I was joking about moving or tipping the guy's bike. What I really meant was take him out to dinner and perhaps pop the question, "Can you move your bike, pretty please?"
The Following User Says Thank You to dreamzboy For This Useful Post:
Kronos (08-22-2015)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

We're in the Off Topic section. It should go without saying that the overwhelming majority of things being said are either a joke, or one of those "I'd love to do this, but I wouldn't really do it" comments. I'm not going to touch his bike, because I wouldn't want someone touching mine.

With that being said, the guy clearly doesn't take care of the poor thing - it's beaten up to hell, has clearly been crashed (not dropped or dumped - crashed), and he regularly just leaves his unsecured helmet hanging on it overnight. If I were to touch it, I can guarantee you I'd be handling it much carefully than he ever will.

I'd speak to him myself but I can never catch the guy... Come to think of it, I don't even necessarily know it's a guy. I have absolutely no clue who this individual is, what apartment they're at, etc., otherwise I would've just said something directly to them.

Our management sucks. Their office is closed over the weekend, anyway, but I'll go speak to them on Monday about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kronos For This Useful Post:
dreamzboy (08-22-2015)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Moto GP Racer

It's the same thing at my place. Some guy moved his non-operating bike to the visitor parking to save a space for his car. Could be the case with your situation. Something to think about when he says no. :D
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
It's the same thing at my place. Some guy moved his non-operating bike to the visitor parking to save a space for his car. Could be the case with your situation. Something to think about when he says no. :D
People do that here, too. As soon as the office is closed, it's a free-for-all. People park in the visitor parking, in the motorcycle parking, in the handicapped spots, in fire lanes, on the street, etc. -- usually it's cleared up by the time the offices open back up, but occasionally there's that person who leaves their vehicle there for several days. I considered the possibility of him using it as a space-saver yesterday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page