Graduating from college… Needing career advice - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Graduating from college… Needing career advice

So I am graduating from college with a degree in Business Management. I am currently looking for entry level positions in the greater Philadelphia area and was wondering if anyone had any advice. Any advice at all for starting my career would be great. I am not fully sure what I want to do.
I feel like I am stuck and do not have a plan. I have had an interview with Target as an ETL today that didn't go as great as I wanted. I have an interview with Aldi as a district manager. Other then that, I have been turned down for the few other positions I have interviewed for. I literally feel lost coming out of college and have no ******* clue what I am doing. Any advice at all would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

I suggest finding an internship before you actually graduate; nowadays 2 years experience is usually considered entry level.

1971 Volkswagen 1302 (02.19.2015 - )

For Sale:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/153-07-13-rr...0rr-c-abs.html
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:43 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
I don't have nearly as much education as you, though I suggest following what makes you most happy, of course. Success will follow once your heart is grounded in on it.

This is more emotional advice compared to logical, but it works for my sanity and well being.

2014 Chevrolet Express 2500
2015 Honda Rebel
2016 Toyota Prius C
2016 Lexus GX 460
2017 Honda CBR600RR
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:57 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,045 Times in 851 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
a degree, while a requirement, doesn't give you much pull in an interview. you need to build a CV. land whatever job you can and build your list of achievements. when you are interviewing for jobs, all a company is looking for is your value. a list of things your duties at a job isn't an expression of your value, you need accomplishments.

so get whatever job you can (you're young, just get a job), then OWN it. get goal oriented and get **** done. exceed targets, increase efficiency, improve profitability, document what you did and why it worked, then use that as ammunition when you're interviewing for jobs that you may feel under qualified for.

nobody cares that you managed 20 people, but they do care that you cut ops costs by 5% while lifting quarterly profits 7.5%

I know that this isn't necessarily specific advice, but if you're going to get ahead, you need a plan. a specific type of job isn't necessary to begin executing your plan, increasing your value is the first step.

Hope that helps
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:10 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
a degree, while a requirement, doesn't give you much pull in an interview. you need to build a CV. land whatever job you can and build your list of achievements. when you are interviewing for jobs, all a company is looking for is your value. a list of things your duties at a job isn't an expression of your value, you need accomplishments.

so get whatever job you can (you're young, just get a job), then OWN it. get goal oriented and get **** done. exceed targets, increase efficiency, improve profitability, document what you did and why it worked, then use that as ammunition when you're interviewing for jobs that you may feel under qualified for.

nobody cares that you managed 20 people, but they do care that you cut ops costs by 5% while lifting quarterly profits 7.5%

I know that this isn't necessarily specific advice, but if you're going to get ahead, you need a plan. a specific type of job isn't necessary to begin executing your plan, increasing your value is the first step.

Hope that helps
I, on rare occasions, agree with wibbly but I do now with only suggesting that you should at least try to get a job in the industry your aiming at, but yes anything is better than nothing.

For Sale:
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:16 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,045 Times in 851 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i should have specified "in your field" when i said "get whatever job you can"

obviously a guy with a business management degree isn't going to build relevant experience selling mattresses.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:47 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
i should have specified "in your field" when i said "get whatever job you can"

obviously a guy with a business management degree isn't going to build relevant experience selling mattresses.
Never know; a wise man learns more from his enemies than a fool from his friends.

For Sale:
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Knee Dragger

Volunteer in a charity. Many people especially young don't consider it but you'll notice every leader in your community will be involved in one. You'll get to rub shoulders with those business people that make up the business community. Every charity needs help with the business side of things too.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I also see u interviewed for ETL at Target. Have you thought about starting as a team lead and going from there. I started a s a Team lead over Plano gram team and within a year I was making plans to be an ETL. Target was a good company to start with in management. I; however, switched industries from retail but did not regret my time at Target.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:41 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In reading thus it looks like you're shooting for upper/middle management positions straight out of college with zero experience so I might suggest you lower your target (at Target) just a bit and try for a more "entry level" position. It's great you have a degree but as a manager myself I look for people with experience as well as schooling when I need to hire.

There are opportunities out there, you just need to be patient. Working your way up after you get a few years under your belt will be a much easier proposition.

Good luck!!!

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
In reading thus it looks like you're shooting for upper/middle management positions straight out of college with zero experience so I might suggest you lower your target (at Target) just a bit and try for a more "entry level" position. It's great you have a degree but as a manager myself I look for people with experience as well as schooling when I need to hire.

There are opportunities out there, you just need to be patient. Working your way up after you get a few years under your belt will be a much easier proposition.

Good luck!!!
I concur, as someone that used to do the hiring and firing I put skill/ability and character ahead of where someone graduated.

For Sale:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I personally don't have business degree, and am just now starting an engineering degree. By the time I have a degree I will have 10 years experience in Helicopter Maintenance. I had a friend that was in the same field for a long time, even with his business degree, and just recently got into a job in his field. Coming straight out of college is going to be tough to land a very specific management job. You should work in "the trenches" for a little bit before aiming to become management. Learn how to be lead before you try to lead. You will become a much better manager if you understand the plight of the managed.

As Wibbly said, having experience in a field is extremely valuable. I would look at jobs that fall below the management of the job you want. Come in as a new hire, gain some experience in that field, and then move up into the management position after a few years. No one ever wants to hear that, but it's the truth. I would suggest looking into the project management jobs we have at Sikorsky, but we are in a bit of a hiring freeze due to Lockheed buying us from United Technologies.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:51 AM
Moto GP Racer

Man, just get a job anywhere that is in your field (Business).

Don't be too picky--this is only your first job. Get your foot in the door in a company that you'd like to work for then work your way up. Even Target is a decent company to work for.

I remember being your age and in the same position. Its really not that bad, just start somewhere and work your way to where you eventually want to be. You can't be a manager or supervisor right away, you gotta put in the time at an entry level position first.

Good luck mate.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So I landed the Aldi position (contingent on getting a 3.0 on my final transcripts). I'm at a 2.99 now and I have A's in most of my classes, I just need to finish off strong. Now my next question is should I spend $5,000-$7,500 on a bike with 5,000 plus miles or should I just finance a leftover 2013, 2014 for the extra 1k? I plan on getting an extra set of plastics from the start so when my bike does accidentally tip over or something happens, I don't hate myself for waisting a brand new set of oem plastics.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 04:14 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco_APBT View Post
So I landed the Aldi position (contingent on getting a 3.0 on my final transcripts). I'm at a 2.99 now and I have A's in most of my classes, I just need to finish off strong. Now my next question is should I spend $5,000-$7,500 on a bike with 5,000 plus miles or should I just finance a leftover 2013, 2014 for the extra 1k? I plan on getting an extra set of plastics from the start so when my bike does accidentally tip over or something happens, I don't hate myself for waisting a brand new set of oem plastics.
Congrats on the job.

Are you asking about spending $5-7k cash on a used bike vs financing a newer one? The best option IMO is to buy the used bike outright if you have the funds. you are not really getting any massive advantage with a new bike except maybe warranty. Now is also a good time to buy with winter setting in and many riders possibly selling their bike.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:30 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Look at the difference in insurance costs. The new one might not be that attractive then.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
In philly, you could always have some fun and work for REVZILLA. I have heard they can sometimes take advantage of their employees. but would still be fun, the staff is awesome the management sucks.

Plus discount on moto parts ;)

VA | DC
2013 600RR HRC
2009 600RR Leyla
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 03:46 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Your degree in business management prepares you for a business career across any sector or industry. Your career options are therefore varied. Decide on the area you want to work in and try to get relevant work experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page