New Headphones to cheer up my Winter Blues - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
New Headphones to cheer up my Winter Blues

Well, like some of you, I am unable to ride right now. I have no major projects with the bike at the moment. It is just sitting in the garage with storage insurance.

I have always been big into Home Theater (another expensive hobby) and decided to get a decent pair of headphones for when I am traveling. After listening to a few different brands and styles, I have decided to purchase the Oppo PM-3 with an HA-2 DAC/AMP in order to listen to my FLAC files on the road and in the office. I have never owned a planar magnetic speaker before let-alone a set of headphones. I was really impressed with the quality of the product build and the very detailed sound that they reproduced.

Should have them within the next week and will provide an update.

Anyone have experience with either product? Also, I am looking for a good app to play my FLAC files from my S5, sending the data to my DAC.

What headphones have you owned and really liked, and why?

White 07 CBR600rr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 09:22 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I have a set of V-Moda Crossfade M100 headphones ($300). Love them to death, just make sure you spring for the double thick ear padding because the metal band across your head is kind of tight at first and can squeeze your head a little bit. Most computers with onboard sound and especially my Lenovo work laptop don't have the power to drive the headphones to their full potential, but I was able to pick up this nifty little Dragonfly DAC USB preamp for about $150 and it actually makes for a much better listening experience.

You can actually play two different sound channels into the headphones because each side has its own jack. Comes with two cables, one with a mic and volume controls and the other cable has a splitter so you can plug the other cable into it and share with a friend. Can't say I have any complaints about them other than the tight metal headband. Headphones like these are definitely limited by the audio source but it sounds like you probably know that already.

Also, Shure SE215 or 315 for in-ear headphones on the bike. Can't go wrong. with them.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts

Last edited by G Money; 01-18-2016 at 09:27 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

G Money-
I have seen others say great things about the Shure SE215 or 315 for in-ear headphones while riding.

Update with my first few days of use.

I purchased the Oppo PM-3 and HA-2 from Amazon last week. I travel often and for long duration's. I usually use some in-ear monitors that duel as headphones that I use when working out. Everything plugs into my I-Pod. I have always enjoyed trying out the headphones available at different audio stores but have never liked a pair to the point where I could justify the price. I have read reviews and other users comments about how well a nice set of headphones can enhance your musical experience. I have most of my digital music collection in lossless formats so I decided it was time to hear for myself what my collection is capable of.

So you have a little context to my thoughts below. I am an average audio enthusiast that has been interested since I was a teenager, and I consider it a hobby (an expensive hobby). I enjoy reading the various audio/video forums and magazines, always trying to learn more then I know. I have what I consider a decent Home Theater system that I have built throughout the years with store bought, internet boutique, and DIY components. I love having the ability to be immersed in a good quality movie or CD.

I wanted to share my initial impression of my latest two audio purchases.

The HA-2 is a solid device that appears to be very well constructed. The firm feel of the knob, secure and tight feel of the connection ports, and the leather wrap gives you the confidence that the HA-2 is a well finished product that will last for a long time. Not to mention, it looks very sharp with its brushed aluminum metal with black leather wrap, giving it a sophisticated presence. After opening the well packaged product, I plugged the HA-2 into the wall using the supplied rapid charger and proceeded to read the included instructions. The instructions are well laid out and simple to understand. Everything seems to be covered. I proceeded to the Oppo website in order to download the driver from their support page. I installed the driver without issue. My HP laptop running Win10 had no issue recognizing the Oppo HA-2 when connected. I used the installed driver in order to make sure I had the latest firmware version before continuing.

Next, I unboxed my PM-3s from their packaging. Like all Oppo packaging, everything was secured very well within the box that it came in. The denim case with a carrying handle snuggly fits the PM-3 headphones inside along with the supplied cord. My HA-2 will also fit into the same case. The headphones look very sleek. I ordered the black set. I quickly adjusted each ear cup by pulling them down, the ear cups clicking as they extended, allowing the headphones to easily and comfortably fit on my head. I used the supplied cable, plugging one end into the headphones and the other into the HA-2, preparing my two new devices for use.

The HA-2 was connected to my computer using the supplied USB cable, connecting it to the B Port on the HA-2. I used a lossless RIP of my John Hiatt, Terms of my Surrender CD in order to try out my new combination. Let me just say, all I could do was smile from ear to ear when the headphones came to life while playing Long Time Comin’. The base notes of the kick drum and the individual guitar plucks were all very clear and gave me the sense that the instruments were being played in front of me. I mention the kick drum specifically because I have never heard it sound so natural before. I have never heard the detail of the music like I did when using the PM-3 and HA-2 DAC combo. I was hastily going over the rest of my music collection that I had, finding other music to enjoy through my new setup. I spent a good two hours going through my collection, exited to experience some of my favorite songs through my new headphones.

Again, I have not owned a pair of headphones of this quality before. From what I have experienced with them thus far, I am very happy with my purchase. Only time will tell if the products will hold up to some rigorous travel.

White 07 CBR600rr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page