Good news! (?) EBR almost back in action - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good news! (?) EBR almost back in action

So if all goes to his plans, Buell is going to restart production, albeit slowly, at some point in March. I have to say, the man has some serious determination. Started in a barn, picked up and dropped off by HD, starting and failing EBR, and now restarting his efforts again.

Erik Buell Racing hopes to restart motorcycle production in March
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Knee Dragger

Interested to see what comes of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothlessCBR View Post
Suzuki Forums - "What are the best sandals to wear on our bike?"
Kawi Forums - "How long can you Wheelie?"
Yamaha Forums - I have no idea lol
Honda Forums - "The physics of bike stands and their effect on contact patch stress over time given a varied degree of vertical angle."

http://preludecentral.com/index.php/topic,13.0.html
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Who's the one giving his money away this time??

I really love their bikes, but something has to be really wrong when their project fails attempt after attempt.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I can't exactly blame HD for cutting ties with Buell. Their goals and purposes were way too far apart. As for his own venture with EBR, yeah, he messed that up...

The article says that Liquid Asset Partners bought EBR as a whole for relatively pennies, and hopes to peddle them off soon anyway to someone else. I guess EBR is too much of a liability for anybody to hold on to these days.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:32 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Very interesting to see how the company will do without HD. Maybe with a limited quantity the demand will be high enough to get a quick turnover for fast cash.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Pretty poorly. Buell started EBR after getting dropped by HD and failed that gig. That's why it's surprising to see someone else pick up the tab after Buell's two failed attempts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 04:35 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

100% sure he'll stick another vtwin in whatever they create if they get back going again so I couldn't care less.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Why the hate for v-twins?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 06:09 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
I can't exactly blame HD for cutting ties with Buell. Their goals and purposes were way too far apart. As for his own venture with EBR, yeah, he messed that up...

The article says that Liquid Asset Partners bought EBR as a whole for relatively pennies, and hopes to peddle them off soon anyway to someone else. I guess EBR is too much of a liability for anybody to hold on to these days.
Part of the article states that apart from building the 2016 bike they will be looking for new investors, which means (at least to me) that the this proyect is not complete and is still not viable.

You don't start a business looking for investors, you first look for investors then you start your business... Rushing is never good, even less in this case.

(just my opinion)

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Whatever his business strategy is, it's going to be tough luring investors with his track record. Makes sense for him to lay low and do limited production until he's finally got a sure foothold in the industry.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 03:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Why the hate for v-twins?
Not my thing. I think vtwins sounds like crap and more cylinders for a given displacement is always a good thing.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Welp, that didn't take long.

New 2016 Erik Buell Racing motorcycles arrive

EBR is back in action.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Knee Dragger

What's the over/under for timing on filing bankruptcy again?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 04:49 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Ew ugly.. not bad tho 414 wet?

Down a little on hp vs ducati i think?

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm tired of following this guy. EBR is going south again. Massive kudos for perseverance but something is a huge miss in his business plans.

https://rideapart.com/articles/ebr-goes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:33 PM
BOTM Winner Jan 2015

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's hard to compete with very well established brands in an already saturated market place. Maybe he'll pull something out of his ass again and keep it going...who knows.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/68b9f92683e3e0506dd727af79363281/tumblr_ntyw0v9hrk1ufoouto1_500.jpg
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:40 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,046 Times in 852 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
he's a novelty, nobody takes the bikes seriously, and some of his wacky ideas are plain stupid and don't work, but he won't give up on them.

he's too stubborn to make it work in the business, and he's just proving it over and over.

either put out something that the average sport bike shopper is interested in, or build bikes for yourself. the arena he's trying to compete in has no room for a bike like his. the top four are way too good
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
Miweber929 (01-28-2017)
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
he's a novelty, nobody takes the bikes seriously, and some of his wacky ideas are plain stupid and don't work, but he won't give up on them.

he's too stubborn to make it work in the business, and he's just proving it over and over.

either put out something that the average sport bike shopper is interested in, or build bikes for yourself. the arena he's trying to compete in has no room for a bike like his. the top four are way too good
This 100%, except I think it's top five. If you can build a bike that makes someone want to go elsewhere, they will. Look at BMW; they were well established as a grandpa brand until they released the S1000RR in 2010. You'd never see a "real" sportbike rider shell out that kind of money for a sportbike from a brand their dads buy until it was clearly a better bike that (at the time) no one offered. Now you see BMW sportbikes everywhere, in all different age groups, lifestyles, etc. and they sell a bunch of different sporty bikes in all configurations and are popular regardless of your age. All in 7 years.

And now the Japanese manufactures started making these expensive, limited availability "SP" models that sell out because they realized there was a market for expensive, but technologically advanced, models.

So if you build the right bike, it will sell. Buell hasn't, or didn't do it in time to save them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinfo View Post
It's hard to compete with very well established brands in an already saturated market place. Maybe he'll pull something out of his ass again and keep it going...who knows.

I disagree. Look at Aprilia, Ducati and even MV Augusta to name a few: they sell small volume but highly sought after models for a premium price and still (sort of) make it. Erik is a great engineer but a terrible businessman and after all these years still won't give up a few little things to get his main ideas out there. Until he figures that out he'll forever be doomed to fail.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list

Last edited by Miweber929; 01-28-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Glad to know about it. Thank you for sharing.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:14 PM
BOTM Winner Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post

I disagree. Look at Aprilia, Ducati and even MV Augusta to name a few: they sell small volume but highly sought after models for a premium price and still (sort of) make it. Erik is a great engineer but a terrible businessman and after all these years still won't give up a few little things to get his main ideas out there. Until he figures that out he'll forever be doomed to fail.

I would classify all three of those as "well established", EB has never even come close to those.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/68b9f92683e3e0506dd727af79363281/tumblr_ntyw0v9hrk1ufoouto1_500.jpg
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I disagree. Look at Aprilia, Ducati and even MV Augusta to name a few: they sell small volume but highly sought after models for a premium price and still (sort of) make it.
That's the key right there. For a long time Buell rode on the HD bandwagon and that association, good or bad, got customers looking at his bikes. After the split, I haven't heard anything about EBR until the numerous closures. Engineering and design aside, he just isn't versed enough in effective marketing likely leaning on the word of mouth. Now that he's gone through many closures and sell-offs, the only thing people associate his name with is failure. No matter how good a product is, if people have a negative association with the name, it's going to be a rough ride.

The deal with Hero was an awesome chance for EBR to get a decent foothold in the industry with such a massive financial backer but he refused to build something that's plain but could be pumped out in volume instead solely focusing on top end superbikes in an already saturated market.

I may be talking out the ass here but the guy has his sights way too high. Buell/EBR was an HD brand that's notoriously known for anything but sporty bikes. And now it's also synonymous with failure.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Never ending story movie theme sounding in my head...

Again... REALLY??

Him and his investors are all nut jobs....

It's like If I go and find stupid inverstors to set up a whole new "BLockbuster Video" assuring them that it'll kick everyone's asses... But everybody knows the **** just doesn't work anymore... but hey!, here's a couple million dollars for u to burn...

Same idea, same failure... and still trying to get a different outcome while still doing the same, that's instanity... Einstein dixit....

IDK who is silly enough to invest in EBR... they should get the guy and take him to an already stablished bike manufacturer so that he can do stuff inside a fully functional company... Giving money to Erik Buell's proyect as it is (and has been for the last (what?) 14 years) is a waste...

(I like his bikes, not the engine, I like him trying to change stablished things/configurations)

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
The deal with Hero was an awesome chance for EBR to get a decent foothold in the industry with such a massive financial backer but he refused to build something that's plain but could be pumped out in volume instead solely focusing on top end superbikes in an already saturated market.
Totally, tons of potential there (as long as all parties would have played fair), but he would have had to start out with small, basic bikes and scooters before expanding the product. And also probably drop his previous 'innovations' (the perimeter brake can stay though for streetbikes, it still looks trick.)
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:31 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Totally, tons of potential there (as long as all parties would have played fair), but he would have had to start out with small, basic bikes and scooters before expanding the product. And also probably drop his previous 'innovations' (the perimeter brake can stay though for streetbikes, it still looks trick.)
Good thoughts, I think you are right on the money with the small bikes and another of the many reasons of his continued downfall. He just won't ever compromise and I don't think sees that the small, high volume motorcycles are a way to get your name out there and pay the bills for the big projects.

He thinks like an engineer, not like a businessman.

I disagree about the perimeter brake, however. Think of all that weight that far on the rotating mass, the rim having to be beefed up on one side for mounting, the fact that the caliper is in essence open at the top and closed at the bottom for brake crap to get stuck in.......bad idea in my mind. Gas in the frame, oil in the swingarm and the shock running under the engine and next to the muffler are other bad ones as well.

- '17 Ducati Supersport S
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '11 Triumph Sprint GT
- '10 Yamaha WR250R
- Past rides: too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page