Used cycle prices WTF?! - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Used cycle prices WTF?!

It's been awhile since I've been on the good old 600rr.net but I find myself coming back to a Honda (again). I've been swerving a hand me down Suzuki Blvd. for the past couple of years and find myself looking for another streetbike.

I turned to trusty crapslist and am shocked of the prices of used motorcycles. I'm not one to shy away from a quality bike of a later year that has been well maintained and adorned with decent upgrades but I'm blown away by how much a bike that's over 10 years old and beat to hell is selling for. It's forced me to look into buying new as the value seems right (but pushes me into fz-09 territory).

Besides my rant, is anyone else thinking this or am I the only one?

04- 600rr Black & gray(Stolen)
05- 600rr Black Tribal (Sold)
05- 600rr Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Same here in Australia. Even '03 models with 40000km on them go for $5-6k. Crazy.

However a mate is selling a 2013 model with 3000km for 9k. So tempting if I had the coin.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sale prices are more the result of the threshold of the market, rather than a reflection of any real value. Or, value is assigned by people rather than something that's inherent.

I bought a couple bikes in Florida for much less money before the financial collapse of 2008; when credit dried up, so did the constant supply of next to new bikes for sale, bolstering the value of older bikes as people kept them longer (and also slowed the change of bikes in general, meaning there was no 'next new thing' in bikes every two years like there was for a bit.)

Anything sold is worth exactly as much as someone else is willing to pay for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FightingChance For This Useful Post:
Fanatic (03-15-2016)
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I gave up looking for a decently priced CBR for track duty that was not totally trashed. The competition's bikes on the used market are much better priced. Good luck with your search.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I really like my 600RR, but I can't think of a good reason to not get an R6 or ZX6 for the track at this point.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
I really like my 600RR, but I can't think of a good reason to not get an R6 or ZX6 for the track at this point.
I picked up an R6 for track duties. Best of both worlds is to keep the Honda which is way more street friendly and have the R6 for track weaponry. Just can't wait to get it (R6) out there and test it out.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
OP:

Spring has approached and riding season has approached. Bikes are going to have higher demand at this time. From what I hear, winter or the down season is the time to buy if you're really insisting on a good deal. It doesn't help that you're in Florida where I assume that the weather is pretty nice.

On the other hand, if you see a used CBR that you really like, feel free to offer your price which you're committed to paying up. Maybe there are some sellers who are anxious to sell, you never know until you make an offer and get denied or accepted.

Good luck.

2014 Chevrolet Express 2500
2015 Honda Rebel
2016 Toyota Prius C
2016 Lexus GX 460
2017 Honda CBR600RR
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:56 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I agree, bike season is probably at its peak in the Spring. I bout my 03 with 20k km for $3k last Fall because the owner didn't want to deal with storing it. I could probably flip it and make $1-2k profit if I was to sell it now.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

On the other hand as one who's 600rr is currently up for sale I'm finding a lot of people who are making borderline insulting offers. I've a 2012 w/ 9.5k miles that's in really nice shape. I priced it at $6500 based on what other 600rr's are listed at in relative condition & mileage. I'm getting a lot of people saying they'll throw $5k cash at me as if I'm desperate. One guy yesterday opened with a $4.5k offer. WTF? Like I'm going to drop a 1/3 of the price? Kind of insulting. Nobody's getting my bike making those kind of offers. I priced my bike at what seems like a reasonable value & would maybe drop the price $500 if the buyer was cool about it. I'm also throwing in front & rear pitbull stands, cover, battery tender, maintenance supplies, both the factory & haynes shop manuals. Hell if the buyer is pleasant enough & the right size I might gift him some of my Alpinestars gear & a newish Shark helmet. Everyone wants a good deal. It's important though to be a good customer as it is to be a good seller.

Spring probably is better for sellers than buyers in 4 season climates. It's when many people start looking for a bike as they anticipate good weather. It's probably the flip side of ski & snowboard sales. Nobody's looking for new skis in April so there are probably good deals to be had. Try shopping for skis in October though & no one's likely to be bending over backwards to sell at rock bottom prices.

I think as a buyer though it's still a great market. As someone above mentioned that sine the recession & softening of the motorcycle industry most manufacturers have not been updating their bikes as regularly or extensively. That means you can go out & find a 6-8 year old low mileage bike that maybe someone barely used or used gently and have a bike that's everything a brand new one is but for 60% less than showroom new.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by PdubRR; 03-15-2016 at 11:58 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Knee Dragger

Reliability of modern bikes might be a factor too, especially Jap bikes. As technology improves people buy used more confidently.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
I bought a couple bikes in Florida for much less money before the financial collapse of 2008;
Man I was buying so many toys when that happened, boats, bikes, outdoor gear, and made some good money. Part of my hesitation may be that I'm having hard time adjusting with the market from then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdubRR View Post
On the other hand as one who's 600rr is currently up for sale I'm finding a lot of people who are making borderline insulting offers......
That seems like a solid deal, better than what I've come across yet. I imagine someone looking for that particular year and setup will gladly pay that amount.

Where I live we don't really have a riding season so prices/inventory are usually stable. I looked at an '05 with 22K miles yesterday that was being offered for $3k. The bike was trashed and I honestly thought maybe it had been pieced together from stolen parts. No exhaust, sheet metal screws for fairing bolts, every engine cover was deeply scratched, bent reasets, every plastic was cracked and some weren't there at all, and the list goes on.

The owner rode up on it when we met and had it sitting all of a minute before I asked to hear it run and the damn thing wouldn't start again. He had me pushing him down the street trying to get it to crank over and after the third attempt I was done. I asked him what his bottom dollar was and he said $2,700! Cosmetically alone it had $1k worth of work needing to be done.

The way it's going I'm seriously considering an FZ-09 I just need to find one to ride.

04- 600rr Black & gray(Stolen)
05- 600rr Black Tribal (Sold)
05- 600rr Black
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Knee Dragger

Granted it was over the winter, but I found my '04 on Craigslist after many months of searching. It only had 2 owners, 15K miles, the owner had recently serviced or replaced everything, it showed no signs of wear... and I only paid $3,500.

The deals are out there, don't let it discourage you. Hold out for exactly what you want!

Peter

2004 Honda CBR600RR
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

From private individuals the best deals are in winter when the seller doesn't want to store the bike or they're already thinking of buying something else for next season. Same goes for dealer sales but surprisingly in the dead middle or late summer is a surprisingly good time to buy from a dealer. By that time the spring and early summer rush of people wanting to get out on a bike have made their purchases already and the dealer is getting more action from their service and accessories department and the showroom is mostly a lounge. The fact that new models are usually announced in early winter and deliver in the spring probably helps with the spring frenzy of sales and mid summer lull.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 05:24 PM
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015

Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,146 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i put a huge amount of time, effort and money into my bike, not even sure what i would consider selling mine for but it wouldn't be cheap - i rather keep it then let it go for nothing like some of the law ball offers i hear about (of course, if you don't have to sell it, easier to sit on it and wait and keep enjoying it )

YouTube Channel

----------------------------------------------------------------
kali_cbr600rr - build/progress (2007 blue/silver)
kali_cbr600rr - GoPro/Video adventures

4 sale: A Lot Of Stuff - Look at the "For Sale" section!!!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
People ask all the time how much I would be willing to sell mine for. Honestly, I would probably list it for $8K and not take a dime less than $7500. That's about a grand more than it would probably sell for in my area.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Bikes sell in much less numbers then they did back in 07 time range. As the supply gets lower from crashes and what not, prices get higher.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 07:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
Bikes sell in much less numbers then they did back in 07 time range. As the supply gets lower from crashes and what not, prices get higher.

True story

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:22 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdah View Post
I picked up an R6 for track duties. Best of both worlds is to keep the Honda which is way more street friendly and have the R6 for track weaponry. Just can't wait to get it (R6) out there and test it out.
R6 makes a decent street bike as well as an excellent track bike.

I rode a friend's 08R6 for a few days and didn't find anything wrong with it for street use. The RR is a bit better for street riding for sure, but not by much.

It seems most used bikes normally bottom out around $4k even if they are 10yrs old. Its just the season/time, and the nature of the sportbike market. If you can find a good used 2005-2007 sportbike in that price range($4-5k), its a decent buy

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I shouold have read the whole thread before my last post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdubRR View Post
I priced it at $6500 based on what other 600rr's are listed at in relative condition & mileage.
So you priced based on what others are asking. Price is dictated by what things sell for, not what people start asking for.
Quote:
Reliability. Rebuilding the R6 motor requires new titanium valves to be done right. That's $1k right there in parts. The kawi's are....well kawi's. No need to discuss their lack of reliability.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post

So you priced based on what others are asking. Price is dictated by what things sell for, not what people start asking for.
Bike sold damn close to asking price so I did something right, eh?
The Following User Says Thank You to PdubRR For This Useful Post:
Urbane (06-02-2016)
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Training Wheel Hero

The thing is, now that you know that they do not devalue, its actually worth paying for a solid bike that is in good condition.
People are willing to drop their price a lot just to get a piece of junk out of their hands.

Our bikes retain value for a reason.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Training Wheel Hero

i have a nice 09 600rr with 6k miles if you're in Chicago :)

If it got an engine and RWD, I'll touch it.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Training Wheel Hero

In louisville ky. and in the surrounding cities you can always find good deals. The key is patience. you just have to hold on to your money and wait 3 - 6 months and a good deal will come around. Cycle trader and Ebay are always another source. If you dont mind alittle travel you can definitely get some good deals in the fall and winter months. I also find that sellers are more likely to drop the price if you are willing to actually go and look at the bike before disrespecting them in an e mail with a low ball offer.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

Bought my 07 with 8,000 miles, 49-state, for $6,000 5 years ago now in SoCal. Cant even find that nowadays.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Knee Dragger

it's pretty seasonal in my area as well as lot of military folk flowing in and out. My best deal was an 08 w 6k miles for $3500! I thought it was a scam at first posted at 3800, but it was some marine kid trying to unloaded it quickly, and i was able to talk him down even more. The latest acquisition was a 09 w only 1500 miles for $5500. It's all about patients and some luck.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Knee Dragger

In my area I also think it's because no one buys (or can afford) or needs new bikes anymore. The capabilities, looks, and reliability of bikes in the last decade have been exponential. There's no reason to buy brand new anymore, imo.

You'd be hard pressed to find more than two to three 2013+ 600RRs on Craigslist at any time. For that reason, "old" or previous gen bikes like the 07+ 600rr hold their value like crazy. Now, riders that would have still been on their F2/F3s (like I was in the past) aspiring to be on an F4i can effectively stay with their F4is and pre-07 600rrs for longer. They're not even thinking about the current gen RRs yet, the 07-12s are effectively "new" to everyone still.

I argue that it's akin to what's happening with Porsche 911s. 991s are so far and few in between that 997s can still pass for "new" or "current" to most enthusiasts, and their price tags definitely reflect that (e.g. GT3, GT3 RS, GTS, Turbo).

'07 600RR | '07 exige s | '07 cayman s | '95 240sx | '03 y34 | '85 girlfriend
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:48 PM
World Superbike Racer

Part of it is because 07/08's look so good :)

The bike changed so little, 13 got a bump in suspension and nicer wheels with polarizing body work.

Most people still seem to prefer my bike to newer ones (granted I've done a fair amount to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600RR school.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	181146  

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:09 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneepuck_envy View Post
I argue that it's akin to what's happening with Porsche 911s. 991s are so far and few in between that 997s can still pass for "new" or "current" to most enthusiasts, and their price tags definitely reflect that (e.g. GT3, GT3 RS, GTS, Turbo).
Totally different. 991's are crap. 997's are glorious.

'15 1000RR- weekend toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page