So, just came back from Germany. - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So, just came back from Germany.

And what an awesome place for anybody with a stint of interest for things with motors and wheels! The roads are so well paved and maintained so that even a POS Skoda Rapid that I had for a rental could do its top speed on a suspension that felt borrowed form a minivan and steering with zero feel without any fuss. The drivers as a whole are very disciplined and conscious of the fact that they are not the only ones on the road. On anything other than city streets and small town roads, they would use the left lanes to pass and move back to the right and only stay in the faster lanes when they were going perceptibly faster than the neighboring lanes. At the slightest of a hint that there was somebody in their rear view coming up, they would give way without any hesitation. Their use of turn signals was impeccable and I didn't get surprised by any lane changes or turns.

Drivers and riders in the US could really benefit from even a small fraction of the discipline that I've seen over in Germany. The "road is MINE" mentality is absolutely insane in the States...

Oh, and the speed limits are generally higher on ANY limited roads outside of cities and towns. It wasn't rare to see 100kph+ limits on roads that weren't 2+ lane highways.

My new office decoration:

Last edited by Lyoha; 10-31-2016 at 10:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyoha For This Useful Post:
Cory Gillmore (10-31-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Haha very interesting read. Germany sounds freaking amazing! People in the left lane going slower or even the same speed as flowing traffic piss me off to the max. Especially if they don't move over when they see me closing in on them.

But that goes both ways, no matter how fast or over the speed limit I'm going in the left lane, the second I notice someone closing in on me from behind, I move my ass over lol.

It's really just common sense driving etiquette that gets lost on probably 70% of the US population it seems.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Germany is definitely a neat place to visit! Spent 3 weeks there a few years back and I can't wait to find an excuse to return. Where did you visit? The driving there is better in every way compared to the states. People pay attention and are courtious to others. Plus a majority of them drive manuals haha

HartwickCBR's 08 Pearl Orange Build: Link
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Knee Dragger

What was your observations on motorists using cell phones while driving vs. in the US? Was it similar to what you see in the US, or was it much less common? Just wondering, given their much more disciplined behavior on the road... I would somewhat expect it to be illegal.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Garage
And they all have great cars... While here in Spain you can find the basic trim Beemers and Benzes, you find top of the line over Germany...

Even cab drivers have better cars than myself!!

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Gillmore View Post
It's really just common sense driving etiquette that gets lost on probably 70% of the US population it seems.
You're giving too much credit... I got to drive in Russia, Canada, and now Germany, and the difference in behavior on the road is just astounding. US is much closer to Russia where some drivers use the sidewalk to get around traffic. That said, I drive like a total d!ck in DC, Baltimore, and NYC where you just can't behave like a mentally well balanced person if you want to get anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo1978 View Post
What was your observations on motorists using cell phones while driving vs. in the US?
Can't say for sure since I was too busy trying to figure out where to go in the cities to pay much attention to what's going on inside the other cars or just flying down the autobahn. I can say that I've seen a few drivers use their cells at lights.

A note on lights: In Germany, when a light switches from red to green, the yellow lights up for a second or two as a heads up. I though that was a cool idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartwickCBR View Post
Where did you visit? The driving there is better in every way compared to the states. People pay attention and are courtious to others. Plus a majority of them drive manuals haha
I landed in Frankfurt and stopped by Worms on the way to Heidelberg. +1 on the manuals. When I was walking around, I kept looking into other cars and at least 80% are manuals. And that tally takes into account all forms of transport from eco-sh!t-boxes to cargo vans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soponcio Virtual View Post
And they all have great cars... While here in Spain you can find the basic trim Beemers and Benzes, you find top of the line over Germany...
There are a bit more Ms and AMGs but a whole fvck ton of low trim models. There's surprisingly less middle ground than I expected. A vast majority are diesel too. At least in Frankfurt, BMWs are just like Hondas here. They are everywhere and in similar variety too.

Last edited by Lyoha; 10-31-2016 at 05:51 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Everyone I know who has visited Germany has nothing short of positive things to say. I will put it on my bucket list of places to visit for sure. If the trip to Asia next year falls through I'll make it a Euro trip.

Edit: I had to look up the meaning of your newfound favorite sign. It is no officially also my favorite European road sign.

Last edited by digdah; 10-31-2016 at 08:29 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:00 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wonderful glass smooth roads, you could dive into turns w/o worry that a pavement surprise was waiting at exit.

Super expensive to drive now?

gas prices?

IIRC, about $8 gallon in UK last yr.

lane discipline was exercised in UK.

saw ginormous renault TD station wagons that got about 70 mpg....they looked like flying turds.

(one i rode in was exactly turd brown, why do Euro's like that color?)

Last edited by tary preisser; 11-01-2016 at 01:02 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdah View Post
Everyone I know who has visited Germany has nothing short of positive things to say. I will put it on my bucket list of places to visit for sure. If the trip to Asia next year falls through I'll make it a Euro trip.

Edit: I had to look up the meaning of your newfound favorite sign. It is no officially also my favorite European road sign.
Heh, it's a shame that the sign only exists in Germany...

tary,

Not very expensive to drive per se, if you ignore the gas. I didn't go through any tolls for the 200+ km that I drove including getting in and out of the airport. The gas is something to the tune of 10 bucks a gallon for 91 octane.

What's expensive is parking the damn thing. I paid about 150 USD in the end keeping the car in Frankfurt and Heidelberg. And that's over a stretch of 5 days.

I'll agree that there's something iffy about Europeans in general and odd looking cars... Case in point:
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
LOL, these are what we call "City Cars" :P

While gas (and diesel) prices are very high compared to the US, we still do everything by car! Cities are very congested, impossible to park, which is why a lot of people turn to these smaller, and better mpg cars like that A-class Merc on that pic. There are worse looking cars though.

It's funny to read this thread for a Belgian. "So many manuals" "so many Diesels"
Basically, automatics here, are considered to be for the disabled, or people who spend hours in traffic jams a lot. And, in Belgium at least, the government did a lot to promote Diesels as they emit less CO. More dust though, which is why they're now blocking old diesels from the old centers in some cities.

We actually talk about the opposite when we visit the states :P Cultural differences are interesting :)

The Following User Says Thank You to Nuithari For This Useful Post:
Cory Gillmore (11-02-2016)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Knee Dragger

Yes, have to agree about the driving culture over there in the Reich. We do not have a clue here, its as if here in Aus there is no fast lane or rear view mirrors, hopeless, absolutely hopeless.

I have driven all over Europe and a bit of US, and must admit that the US is way ahead of AU in that respect, I had less frustration driving/riding in Thailand where the only 2 road rules seemed to be, 1. first in goes first and 2. first in goes first.

Slow and Scared

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
I'll agree that there's something iffy about Europeans in general and odd looking cars... Case in point:

We had one of those in my family for 3 years.... Hahahahaha

It looks like Shi+ but it was a great communter, specailly for Momma Bear who likes cars where she can see above the rest...

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

Garage
This is the sight of an Autobahn when security or health services need to get through:

In Spain... They even block the ambulance... I still get in shock when I see it...

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:09 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Yea, part of my family lives in Germany. A lot of people think the autobahn is just a single road somewhere in Germany. Autobahn simply means highway and you can go full out on nearly all highways. You just have to look out for the signs. There is also no highway police. Germany, according to my family living there, find it a waste of money when you can simply put speed cameras up lol. Germans don't like wasting time lol. Also the amount of windmills is crazy. They get updated nearly every year for increased proficiently. Again, Germany doesn't like wasting time lol.

OH IN REGARDS TO THE ROADS... the word pothole probably doesn't exist in the German language lol. My uncle drove 152mph and it felt like 45mph. Near zero shaking. They're car regulations are insane. You can never replace one tire. Their roads feel unbelievably safe. So even when my uncle was going 152mph in his turbo diesel Benz hatchback, the appearance of the road made you feel like you were going 45mph as well.

Last edited by Polishblood; 11-03-2016 at 01:13 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I've never been to Germany but you just made me add it to my must-visit-someday list.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 03:20 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
+1 on the manuals. When I was walking around, I kept looking into other cars and at least 80% are manuals. And that tally takes into account all forms of transport from eco-sh!t-boxes to cargo vans.
Somehow I'm not surprised that they are a very control-oriented people

Disclaimer, grandfather was head of underground during the war and mother was also active at the age of 11. In fact, all of their generation before mine (all of their friends) were active in stopping the evil German empire.

06 CBR 600 RR
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuithari View Post
LOL, these are what we call "City Cars" :P
Hmm, there's still no excuse for this kind of atrocity:

Ford Ka:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soponcio Virtual View Post
We had one of those in my family for 3 years.... Hahahahaha

It looks like Shi+ but it was a great communter, specailly for Momma Bear who likes cars where she can see above the rest...
My condolences...

And yeah, people don't just slow down for emergency vehicles but damn near move off the road for them. First time it happened I felt way out of place since I didn't move far off enough.

On a complete flip-side:

I, again, just came back from now Maui and drivers there are unbearable! I got nasty looks for doing the ACTUAL speed limit! What's called a highway there in Kihei has a limit of 40mph! The towns and cities are far worse where everyone seems to be on their own internal clock that's running slower than reality and does no more than 20 under the limit.

Mazda 5 is also a total POS.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 02:29 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:

Ford Ka:

My condolences...
Rofl, that one was horrible! (I call this one the diaper-car)
There's even worse! Meet the Fiat Multipla

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:

Ford Ka:
Hahahahaha... Apparently my family went thru all the ugly cars... We had one Ford Ka for some months once. It was a tin can with half an engine... The easiest thing to find a parking spot for.

Thanks god we never fell for the Multipla... that thing came from outer space...

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

HA! I think Clarkson, or one of the other guys, referred to it as a cow pie piled on another cow pie. The interior fares no better...

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
LOL, yup...

It won Top Gear's Car of the Year award, as well as Top Gear's Ugliest Car of the year award.

Go figure :P

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Believe or not the Fiat Multipla offers things that many others don't.

It might be ugly as hitting your granny with a frying pan, but it holds 6 seats in two lines of 3 each... Uses very little fuel, has a ton of space, drawers for the kids...

If you don't mind driving an ugly thing, then the car is pure benefit...

(still too ugly for me)

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
And what an awesome place for anybody with a stint of interest for things with motors and wheels! The roads are so well paved and maintained so that even a POS Skoda Rapid that I had for a rental could do its top speed on a suspension that felt borrowed form a minivan and steering with zero feel without any fuss. The drivers as a whole are very disciplined and conscious of the fact that they are not the only ones on the road. On anything other than city streets and small town roads, they would use the left lanes to pass and move back to the right and only stay in the faster lanes when they were going perceptibly faster than the neighboring lanes. At the slightest of a hint that there was somebody in their rear view coming up, they would give way without any hesitation. Their use of turn signals was impeccable and I didn't get surprised by any lane changes or turns.

Drivers and riders in the US could really benefit from even a small fraction of the discipline that I've seen over in Germany. The "road is MINE" mentality is absolutely insane in the States...

Oh, and the speed limits are generally higher on ANY limited roads outside of cities and towns. It wasn't rare to see 100kph+ limits on roads that weren't 2+ lane highways.

Would love for this to be a reality in the states, but you can't fix arrogance and stupidity. And the smart phone addiction has taken hold here, so most of the weaving drivers on the road are now looking down at their phones while the ambulance driver is on their bumper, eventually having to pass them on the right. It is SO bad here in Nashville. Hundreds die every month on 3 roads here in town, because everybody is texting, and driving .004 seconds behind the person in front of them.

Down with the arrogant.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Training Wheel Hero

When I visited Germany, Hamburg in particular, a lot of smart cars are on the road. Those are Asian cars I believe so. I was anticipating a lot of European cars to be on the road but it was really outnumbered. A friend told me that primarily, it is because of the cost of the unit itself and its spare parts.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarowe44 View Post
Would love for this to be a reality in the states, but you can't fix arrogance and stupidity.
Sure you can. Take away the restrictions and let the idiots sort themselves out . Kinda like the helmet laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSearcher View Post
When I visited Germany, Hamburg in particular, a lot of smart cars are on the road. Those are Asian cars I believe so. I was anticipating a lot of European cars to be on the road but it was really outnumbered. A friend told me that primarily, it is because of the cost of the unit itself and its spare parts.
I saw quite a few Smarts too. But aren't those a subset of Benz?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
I saw quite a few Smarts too. But aren't those a subset of Benz?
Yes, Smart started in Germany and is now property of Daimler AG (Mercedes).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page