The Status of motorcycling in the U.S.? - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The Status of motorcycling in the U.S.?

Read here:

The Industry is hurting, for many reasons.. and looking for ways to improve.

and Corey Beth posed a very good question relative to some of the problems:

"Serious Question:

If you could have a production street bike that is not currently available, what would you want to be able to buy?

**Let me edit this a little.

If you could tell the industry to build any bike, that you would actually buy, what would it be?"

What would you say, in regards to what the industry could do, and to answer the "what bike" question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 01:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It has absolutely nothing to do with bikes available. It has to do with price and economy. Bikes, like everything else, are inflating at a rate way beyond pay, leaving little left over for playtoys. And make no mistake, in America motorcycles are playtoys. They are not considered practical or prudent. Same reason banks finance moto's differently then cars with higher interest and harder approvals, because auto's are a need, bikes are not.

What bike do I want made? The Aprilia RSV4 for $10k. Or the CBR600 for $8k. The bikes are already made, just can't afford that payment.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
The Following User Says Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
ApolloDeuce (12-10-2017)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,033 Times in 843 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A modernized rc30.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 01:35 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Would love to see an updated rc30!

Or, a 500cc 2/3/4 cyl. that weighs under 300 lbs?

Easy to work on would be nice!!!?

Frame's gotta be as solid/quality as a 07+ cbr600rr.

Same for suspension.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I can't justify the prices on these new bikes. I really want a 1k but the combination of super high prices with gadgets I will never use on the streets combined with astronomical insurance rates...I think I will just keep what I have and see just how many miles I can put on the darn thing.

Edit: And this 'new' generation find it very inconvinient to be unable to take selfies while riding. You know...gloves make it quite difficult to press buttons on the screen and you kinda need both hands on the controls when doing it. Too much work while they could be at a fancy restaurant taking pics of their immaculately laid out plate of food sitting in front of them to share with their 'firends'.

Last edited by digdah; 12-09-2017 at 03:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to digdah For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (12-09-2017)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Pocketbike Racer

As a millennial, what they, or Honda, could do to attract me to a new bike, would be to build a small displacement bike with the same focus on performance as the big cc bikes. I rode a 1970's cb350 4 and that bike was insanely fun to ride. If they could make that bike with a modern aluminum frame/swingarm, and fuel injection, I would be all over it. Problem is, the cost of R&D for such a bike would put the final cost close to a 600 and over the cost of more powerful twins and singles.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdah View Post
I can't justify the prices on these new bikes. I really want a 1k but the combination of super high prices with gadgets I will never use on the streets combined with astronomical insurance rates...I think I will just keep what I have and see just how many miles I can put on the darn thing.

Edit: And this 'new' generation find it very inconvinient to be unable to take selfies while riding. You know...gloves make it quite difficult to press buttons on the screen and you kinda need both hands on the controls when doing it. Too much work while they could be at a fancy restaurant taking pics of their immaculately laid out plate of food sitting in front of them to share with their 'firends'.
On your first point, I hear you. Too many motorcycle fans are armchair riders who keep calling for more race tech in their bikes that will only see the street. Cool and all but it keeps adding to the price, and often is inferior to what actual track riders and racers end up using anyway.

Secondly, lol, old ass man . I agree though that vlogging is boring as hell and I have 0% desire to watch someone else's ride, unless their last name is Rossi or they're in the middle of a SuperCross championship run.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
As a millennial, what they, or Honda, could do to attract me to a new bike, would be to build a small displacement bike with the same focus on performance as the big cc bikes. I rode a 1970's cb350 4 and that bike was insanely fun to ride. If they could make that bike with a modern aluminum frame/swingarm, and fuel injection, I would be all over it. Problem is, the cost of R&D for such a bike would put the final cost close to a 600 and over the cost of more powerful twins and singles.
I'd imagine the Honda CB500R probably out-handles out-brakes and out-accelerates an old CB350. But that's probably not what you're getting at I suppose.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
I don't mean to pick on you directly but this is the current generation's mentality that is contributing to the steady decline in sales. The younger generation finds faults in stuff and chooses not to buy them while the older generation didn't have that luxury so they fixed or altered whatever was available and/or fit their budget.

Hey, want the performance of a supersport but don't like handle bar postion? Well, buy it then change the clipons.
600cc too fast...don't twist throttle all the way.
Too slow? Buy liter bike.
Seating position too aggressive? Learn to use your core muscles.
Don't want supersport? Get a different style of bike or check what the competition has to offer.

There are so many choices out there from the 250/300cc to 500cc all the way to a Goldwing and this is only talking about what is in Honda's stable. If you don't find what you like in Honda maybe KTM has what you need in the 390? I religiously seek out demo days when offered by ANY manufacturer. Who would have know how much fun a CTX 700 is to ride (for me) without actually riding the darn thing?

My point is go out there and find the bike that works for you and stop asking for this magical bike that probably already exists but you haven't yet ridden it yet. I promise you it is out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to digdah For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (12-12-2017)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdah View Post
I don't mean to pick on you directly but this is the current generation's mentality that is contributing to the steady decline in sales. The younger generation finds faults in stuff and chooses not to buy them while the older generation didn't have that luxury so they fixed or altered whatever was available and/or fit their budget.

Hey, want the performance of a supersport but don't like handle bar postion? Well, buy it then change the clipons.
600cc too fast...don't twist throttle all the way.
Too slow? Buy liter bike.
Seating position too aggressive? Learn to use your core muscles.
Don't want supersport? Get a different style of bike or check what the competition has to offer.

There are so many choices out there from the 250/300cc to 500cc all the way to a Goldwing and this is only talking about what is in Honda's stable. If you don't find what you like in Honda maybe KTM has what you need in the 390? I religiously seek out demo days when offered by ANY manufacturer. Who would have know how much fun a CTX 700 is to ride (for me) without actually riding the darn thing?

My point is go out there and find the bike that works for you and stop asking for this magical bike that probably already exists but you haven't yet ridden it yet. I promise you it is out there.
Lol did you even read the OP's question? He is specifically asking if we could have any bike that is not currently being built, what would it be. In my post I answered the OP's question (instead of ranting like a grumpy old man).

Anyway, if I was to hypothesize on why motorcycle sales are down, I would think a lot of it has to do with the growing used motorcycle marketplace. Why would I buy a 2016 600RR when my 2003 is basically just as good.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:43 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Lol did you even read the OP's question? He is specifically asking if we could have any bike that is not currently being built, what would it be. In my post I answered the OP's question (instead of ranting like a grumpy old man).

Anyway, if I was to hypothesize on why motorcycle sales are down, I would think a lot of it has to do with the growing used motorcycle marketplace. Why would I buy a 2016 600RR when my 2003 is basically just as good.
I was whining like a grumpy old man...shame on me LOL.

You are so right. Actually, the 2007 CBR is actually superior to the current model. I wish I had never crashed mine :(

So to answer the OP's question, I think my optimal bike already exists in the Aprilia Tuorno Factory. What would actually get it into my stable would be $2-3K off the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page