Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway - 29 May

1K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  MachRider 
#1 ·
Seeing who's down to go. Been getting the itch for another track day, though AutoClub has been too expensive. Haven't been to Chuckwalla yet, but it looks like a pretty good track. Need to get new tires this week, and check to see if I'm on duty (hope not) then it's on like donky-kong! I'll probably be running B-C groups.

#2 ·
23 views and no one posting up? Reserved a spot in C group, first time at this track so I'm going to be taking it easy. Not on duty :D, and picked up a set of Pilot Pure's, we'll see what these are all about.

#6 ·
Hell yeah, can't fuggin wait! Bringing any goodies with you Disco?

#11 ·
Well the track is the only thing, and I mean the only thing that was pretty good at Chuckwalla. The surface is nice and smooth, and doesn't chew tires up like Big Willow. They still need to seal or do something about the dirt around the edges of the track, I got blasted by some dirt squals a few times. Almost ate it coming around turn 9 into 10, the off camber turn, I went in carrying way too much speed on my second session, came out shallow on 9, so I had to stand it up and pull a Valentino Rossi at Laguna's Corkscrew, jump the curbing, cut the apex in the dirt, went back across the track and into the dirt on the other side. It was scary, as I thought the dirt was really soft and I was was going to dig in. Just kept downshifting and using rear brake and got it stopped.

The Pilot Pures handled everything I tossed at them, including the dirt. Got a little choppy in the texture in the bowl taking the inside line, but they still held at full lean angle. So far I really like them.

If your going to Chuckwalla bring a shade, and something heavy to tie it down with. I got sun burned on the back of my neck and face, arms. Also bring a lot of water and food. I didn't eat from the vendor they had, but it looked kind of shady anyways. I think it'll be a while until I go back there, until they make some facilities or something. Paying the extra money for Auto Club is worth it IMO.

How did everyone else do?

#12 ·
Yeah I was pretty warm out there but not too bad. I got about 2hrs of sleep the night before and was very exhausted so I wasn't 100%, but I still had a blast. It was good meeting you out there!

I found this pic of me on Trackday.net's home page :ciao:

#13 ·
Funny I've never heard of trackday.net until tonight. I wonder if one of CaliPhotography's photog's has an independent gig. Nice shot of you though!

#14 ·
I ate it going on turn 9 as well on the first session just like you i went in hot and when i stood the bike back up i was 7 ft away from getting back on the track and next thing i kinow i hit a big ass rock dug inside the dirt and did an endo and i flew forward and luckily the nike didnt land on me. I picked the bike back up and thank goodness they let me back out just needed to tidy the tail section since it was the only damage to the bike.

#16 · (Edited)

I'll post a few more when I get the order. They need to fix turn 9-10 for sure, either bring turn 10's apex in a few feet or get some markers in there, dangerous combo of turns. Also they need to get some more sealer or something on the dirt, I got wacked with a few dirt squals that sucked, was afraid the tires were going to slip from all the dust. Besides that, the track has a lot of potential for sure.

#19 ·
I like the 8-9-10 combo it is defenitely the most technical part of the track, and it's not that slow I remember looking at the speedo through there and was averaging about 90mph. I do think 10 could get pushed out a little more so you could carry a little more speed coming down the hill. I had a pretty good weekend, put down some good times (I think), I just couldn't get my bike set up right for that track, I guess it's time to spend some money on suspension. I hope to see you guys out at pahrump on the 12-13th.

#29 · (Edited)
Finally got the pics! I feel like I'm trying to hard sometimes to touch knee. (I know just because you touch knee doesn't mean your going fast, I've gotten over looking at my kneepucks) I can do it comfortably in the slower turns but in the faster I feel like I'm on the brink of the tire's edge, when I probably have a few more degrees to lean. I'm easily using all of the tire, no chicken strip in the rear, half inch on the front. I think I need to stop being a pu$$y and just lay the bike over until I'm touching toe feelers lol :drunk: 5th track day for me, first time ever having a run off, so knock on wood I don't think I'm doing too bad! B group next time for sure, I'm tired of dealing with folks clumping up and throttle jockeys toasting me in the straight and parking it in the turns, need to be able to pass on the inside!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.