Moving to San Diego from VA - 600RR.net
West Coast A place for riders from the West Coast to set up group rides

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Moving to San Diego from VA

Hi all,

I just got a job promotion in San Diego and I'm scheduled to start in June. I have a couple questions regarding having my bike there. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Changing residency - I own my home in VA and my car and bike are registered here too. For taxes purposes, can I stay registered in VA without changing my mailing address? I can have my folks forward me any important mail.
2. Driver's license - Can I keep my VA license if I keep my VA residency? If not, does my motorcycle endorsement carry over to CA, or do I have to retake any tests to transfer my license?

3. Bike insurance - I currently have State Farm and was thinking about switching to Progressive since they offer a cheaper VA rate. But the rate quadrupled when I changed location to CA! While I'm still waiting to hear back from State Farm, is there a way to keep my car/bike stay registered in VA, and keep my insurance in VA as well?

4. Having bike in SD - while SD is a great place for riding, is it worth the trouble having a bike there? I heard about the rampant bike theft problem and the stricter policies regarding fender modding etc. Not to mentioned the insurance problems mentioned above.
5. Transporting the bike across country - I'm flying and having my stuff shipped over (driving/riding across is not an option). What would be the reliable/cheap way to get my bike across, would any PODS-like services transport bike as well? Or would I need a dedicated motorcycle transport service? I'm having my car sent over as well.

Also, I'm a DOD civilian so I don't get any military moving perks or waivers (that I'm aware of). Sorry for the long post, this is my first major move in life. So any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:33 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok. I can't answer all the those questions but I'll give it a shot.

1. You can stay registered in VA for as long as you don't get pulled over and ticketed by a police officer. You are supposed to register your bike/car in CA within X # of days, but I wouldn't until I had to.

2. Pretty much same as # 1. If you do have to get the license, it's pretty painless as far as dealing with CA dmv goes.

3. Your insurance company needs to know where the bike is located and being ridden so they can adjust rates accordingly. If you lie and say the bike is in VA, and then you get into an accident, they may refuse to pay out. I pay about $150 a year for insurance in San Diego on an 03 RR through progressive (min coverage) and I'm a 23 year old male haha.

4. San Diego has to be one of the best cities to own a motorcycle. Great canyon roads are only a short distance away, and there is also some pretty great dual sport riding if you ever want to leave the tarmac. Oh and the weather is great for riding as well. Did I mention lane splitting? Oh and about theft, I keep my bikes in my garage at all times unless I'm out riding or at work where it is behind a locked gate. Motorcycle theft is a very real thing but if you take appropriate counter measures you should be OK.

5. No clue on that one.

If you bring the bike you should hit me up to go riding haha

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
The Following User Says Thank You to Honda-Power For This Useful Post:
manoftheyear2k (03-30-2018)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Great stuff, thanks man!

I read that there's a major fine that one would have to pay if they don't register their vehicle to CA once the required days are passed. Is this true? And since I can't save money on insurance anyways, is there any perks for not getting CA registration/residency?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Ya, most of what you mention is shady in the least, likely illegal. Not worth it in my opinion, it's always gonna be in your head. When you are riding, when you are parked, everywhere. Won't ever go away. Do the right thing, you will be proud. Everyone knows Cali is $$$$$+big government. Sounds like you're not hurting for cash, go ahead and pay up. Like what will you do when you need license plates or inspection? Ride back to VA?!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 498cm3; 03-30-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I see your point. And I was planning on at least getting the insurance and registration switched over. So is having a garage almost a requirement for keeping a bike safe in SD? I'm going to be apt hunting next month, but I know that a garage (or even a dedicated parking spot) is a luxury when it comes to affordable housing.
The Following User Says Thank You to manoftheyear2k For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (03-30-2018)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I wouldn't say a requirement, but it certainly does help me sleep at night. Almost more important than that though is finding a good neighborhood. Basically, the closer to the border, the higher the risk of your **** getting jacked.

When I didn't have a garage, I parked my bike in a kind of hidden cove, out the steering lock on, and put a big cover over it to camoflauge it even more. I never had an issue.

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
The Following User Says Thank You to Honda-Power For This Useful Post:
manoftheyear2k (04-03-2018)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Just got a quote w the State Farm agent in Cali...WOW! I'm currently paying ~$550/YEAR Full comp w $250k/500K Liability (required for Umbrella policy) for my 09 CBR and in CA it's almost doubled to $936/YR!! Is it really this bad out there?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoftheyear2k View Post
Just got a quote w the State Farm agent in Cali...WOW! I'm currently paying ~$550/YEAR Full comp w $250k/500K Liability (required for Umbrella policy) for my 09 CBR and in CA it's almost doubled to $936/YR!! Is it really this bad out there?
Worse.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in