Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Moving to San Diego from VA
I just got a job promotion in San Diego and I'm scheduled to start in June. I have a couple questions regarding having my bike there. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
1. Changing residency - I own my home in VA and my car and bike are registered here too. For taxes purposes, can I stay registered in VA without changing my mailing address? I can have my folks forward me any important mail.
2. Driver's license - Can I keep my VA license if I keep my VA residency? If not, does my motorcycle endorsement carry over to CA, or do I have to retake any tests to transfer my license?
3. Bike insurance - I currently have State Farm and was thinking about switching to Progressive since they offer a cheaper VA rate. But the rate quadrupled when I changed location to CA! While I'm still waiting to hear back from State Farm, is there a way to keep my car/bike stay registered in VA, and keep my insurance in VA as well?
4. Having bike in SD - while SD is a great place for riding, is it worth the trouble having a bike there? I heard about the rampant bike theft problem and the stricter policies regarding fender modding etc. Not to mentioned the insurance problems mentioned above.
5. Transporting the bike across country - I'm flying and having my stuff shipped over (driving/riding across is not an option). What would be the reliable/cheap way to get my bike across, would any PODS-like services transport bike as well? Or would I need a dedicated motorcycle transport service? I'm having my car sent over as well.
Also, I'm a DOD civilian so I don't get any military moving perks or waivers (that I'm aware of). Sorry for the long post, this is my first major move in life. So any advice would be greatly appreciated!