Joe Rocket Rules - 600RR.net
Vendor Experiences The Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Joe Rocket Rules

So, I have a textile CBR jacket that I bought used off of eBay; I bought it about 6 months ago and the previous owner said that it had only seen one season of use (which I didn't take much stock in) but anyhow I picked the jacket up for about $75 after shipping and what not. Well, about 2 months ago the slider on the zipper started failing to zip the jacket. I didn't think too much of it, just started carrying a pair of utility pliers with me and when I had a problem I'd just use the pliers to squeeze the slider together a bit in order to make the jacket actually zip and seal. About 2 weeks ago the plier trick stop working regardless of what I tried and eventually the slider broke due to fatigue. So, I sent an email to Joe Rocket explaining the situation; a few days later, they sent me a brand new slider, a new zipper stop, provided directions, and answered any and all questions I had (all free of charge) so that I could continue to use my jacket. All in all, I had a very positive experience and will continue to purchase their products and recommend them to others.

My First Bike: Black 2007 CBR600RR - Traded In
My Second Bike: Red 2009 CBR1000RR ABS
- Honda Racing Rear Seat Cowl - Woodcraft Frame Sliders - Stompgrip Traction Pads - Shogun Bar End Sliders - Shogun Swingarm Spools/Sliders - Rizoma Front & Rear Axle Sliders - Rizoma Locking Oil Cap - Rizoma Crankcase Slider - Tripage Throttle Lock - PAIR & Flapper Removal - 2010 Undertail -

- Keeping it stock with a little style - I already have too many projects -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Where were you a few month ago i spent 75.00 to install a metal
zipper on my Joe Rocket jacket next time will call them

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

A few months ago, I was fighting with my jacket's zipper trying to get as much use out of it as I could because I thought I would have to pay through the nose to repair it or replace the jacket all together. Here's the emails between me and the JR rep (names changed for privacy):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
Dear Joe Rocket,

I have a Textile Honda CBR jacket that is suffering zipper failure (go to zip it up and the zipper slides but the two halves do not mesh together to keep the jacket sealed). The jacket has seen many seasons of use and is outside the normal one year warranty; so, I was curious what it would cost to have the zipper repaired? I have tried using pliers to squeeze the zipper mechanism to make it tighter in order to allow it to work but unfortunately that is no longer working any more. I really love this jacket and would like to keep using it, is there anything that you guys can do for me to help me out?

Very respectfully,
/s/
ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rocket
Hi Shawn;

Thanks for contacting us and I’m sorry to hear about the slider not working. Please provide me with your mailing address and I’ll get a new slider sent out to you. they are quite simple to change.

To replace a main slider you'll need some needle nose pliers and something sharp like some side cutters or anything thin that can make its way under the zipper stop.

Make sure the zipper isn’t done up. On the side of the zipper that the slider is located look at the top of the zipper. You'll notice a metal zipper stop or a plastic one. If the stop is metal there may be little teeth that you’ll need to pry open a little so that it can be removed. Try not to damage it as you'll need it later on. If the stop is plastic you’ll need to break it off (cut it in half using some side cutters) Once the stop is removed, slide the slider off the zipper. Once the slider is removed you can then replace it with the new slider. Putting the new one on may be a little more difficult then taking the old one off. Once you have the new slider on you can then put the new or old stop on using the needle nose pliers. Clamp it on good so that the slider doesn’t come off.

I hope the instructions are helpful. If you encounter any problems don’t hesitate in contacting me.

Best regards,
Joe Rocekt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
Joe Rocket,

My mailing address is as follows:

M E
XXXX Street Name Road
Auburn, AL 36830

I have read through the directions and they seem simple enough; I have the tools recommended for installation of a new slider so I think I will be able to replace it. If I have any questions, I email you to ask.

Very respectfully,
/s/
ME
Quote:
HI Shawn;

I have a slider being sent to you. please let me know how you make out.

Best regards,
Joe Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
Joe Rocket,

I received the slider and installed it today; the jacket zips like new again. Thank you very much for allowing me to get several more seasons of use out of my CBR jacket.

Very respectfully,
/s/
ME
Quote:
Hi Shawn;

I’m happy to hear that you received the slider and that your jacket is in working condition once again.

Best regards
Joe Rocket

- Honda Racing Rear Seat Cowl - Woodcraft Frame Sliders - Stompgrip Traction Pads - Shogun Bar End Sliders - Shogun Swingarm Spools/Sliders - Rizoma Front & Rear Axle Sliders - Rizoma Locking Oil Cap - Rizoma Crankcase Slider - Tripage Throttle Lock - PAIR & Flapper Removal - 2010 Undertail -

Last edited by AlmosN8kd; 08-08-2008 at 01:25 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
awesome now i know this if something happens.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Wow. Not a big fan of Joe Rocket stuff, always thought of them on the cheap side of things, but hearing something like this is good news. Seems like they stand behind their products and are willing to work with people. Good job.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR/CUT View Post
Wow. Not a big fan of Joe Rocket stuff, always thought of them on the cheap side of things, but hearing something like this is good news. Seems like they stand behind their products and are willing to work with people. Good job.

You know, I've heard that a lot lately, that JR stuff is cheap. Having known nothing about riding gear, I bought stuff based on the features the gear that I wanted. I know it sounds odd but I love my JR gear; however, I haven't really had anything to compare them with so I know that doesn't have much weight to it. I'd say the single thing that I love the most out of my JR gear that I hadn't really found anywhere else was the fact that the textile CBR jacket has a pocket in it just for a spare face sheild. Since I ride rain or shine, day or night, when ever I really feel like it, that pocket comes in handy when carrying around a clear face shield on a sport bike. Just a thought.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Moto GP Racer

Yeah, thats a cool feature. I wouldn't mind that on my jacket.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Oh, I got some icing on the cake with this zipper snafu; a few days after I received the original replacement slider, I received a second one as well. So, now I have a spare should anything happen to the newly installed one; what more could you ask for?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sweet thread, didn't know JR did this. I have a pair of Alter Ego's and one of the zippers broke off. Gonna have to shoot up JR now and hopefully fix the pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page