Jason @ STG is a champ! + my gear review - 600RR.net
Vendor Experiences The Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jason @ STG is a champ! + my gear review

This is both a vendor experience and my gear review!

I recently acquired new helmet and boots for myself and a set of gloves for a mate from Jason @ STG, he was extremely helpful, had awesome advice and prices!
I was at a track day on the weekend and highsided my mate's bike at about 50km/hr, looong story which I'll share another place and time hehe. The helmet and boots were only 5 days old at the time of the crash which is a bummer.

Here is a pic of me before I binned it.

Shoei XR-1100
Pros:
- Much quieter than I expected after reading some comments on the forum, I would say about the same as my Shoei TZ-R which I was not expecting.
- very faint whistle when I turn my head with the intake vents open (expected them to be louder).
- Excellent ventilation (intake vents and chin vents) with the visor lever system which results in minimal fogging of the visor when stopped at the lights, no fogging whatsoever when riding.
- Comfortable. There are no specific slots for glasses, the cushioning holds my glasses in place without causing discomfort on my temples or ears
- Lighter than my Shoei TZ-R.
- Nice liner which does a good job of absorbing sweat without feeling saturated.
- Excellent build quality.

Cons:
- very faint whistle when I turn my head with the intake vents open, but honestly it is so faint I'm splitting hairs here!

Alpinestars SMX-plus
Pros:
- Comfortable out of the box! No break in required. My Sidi B2's required a period of break in as I could not upshift without pulling my whole leg upwards for a few weeks!
- They don't squeak!!! I was dreading the possibility of this.
- Excellent airflow.
- Feel very secure and protected with the boots.
- Buckles, zips etc work even after the crash. My left foot was slightly sore but was walking fine afterwards.

Cons:
- I can just fit these underneath my jeans due to the front shin armour (my jeans are straight cut, not skinny legs or anything ridiculous like that).

Berik Blade White 2009 or 2010 model I think . . . . (purchased off eBay for $525, woohooooo)
Pros:
- Great perforation.
- Feels solid and well made.
- Looks awesome!

Cons:
- The arm sleeves feel a touch short (end 4-5cms from my wrists). My Alpinestars GP-Pro gauntlets are long enough to cover them comfortably though but I'd still like the sleeve to be up go down to about 2cm from my wrists.
- The perforated leather placed at the lower abdomen appear to be purely cosmetic as it is backed by non-perforate high-density foam and the leather is fairly thin. I don't think this ripped due to the crash as I never hit the deck on my front. My suit is a bitch to pull on and the only thing I think it may be due to is when I'm pulling it up whilst doing the running man to get it to fit.

PS. I'm pretty sure I can't use the helmet again, can others just confirm this for me as well? If this is the case, I'm hitting you up for my 3rd sales order Jason!

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred - Soichiro Honda

Last edited by atrang; 09-19-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if you dont need the lid for a bit, check with the mfg, many will examin the helmet for reusability, free of charge, or for the cost of shipping.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
+1 for Jason. I've ordered many times from STG and it's always a good experience. Speaking of which, I need to order my pit bull stand

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

What is the MFG? I'm from Australia so I'll have to find an equivalent association.

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred - Soichiro Honda

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrang View Post
What is the MFG? I'm from Australia so I'll have to find an equivalent association.
It's just an abbreviation for manufacturer.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
MFG=manufacturer, in your case, Shoei. Helmet looks toast to me.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

any action shots :P
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thanks for the shout out andrew, definitely appreciate it. what gloves were you wearing? were those the SP-2?

someone called and asked about boots a few minutes ago, i was in the middle of reading your review and read the boot part out loud to him. needless to say he purchased them on the spot. kinda funny.

glad you came out alright, sucks about that pretty helmet. your second batch of gear is almost there. talk to you soon
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

The SP-2's were for a mate, I'm wearing A* GP-Pro which are the beez knees. Happy to give credit where it is due. Space cadet you stirrin cuz, but a screenshot of my FB wall is enough to tell the story I guess, haha.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
your facebook wall says you're now friends with a shitload of different people.......
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I found this photo of me a corner before the stack taken by another rider's girlfriend. It shows me in the process of flipping the bird and gesturing "I've got my eyes on you" to my mate's rear facing GoPro. Unfortunately the video file was corrupted! Was totally devo, the footage would have made the crash a touch less painful, haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page