*SCAM ALERT* *PIT-ECK* sells fake Carbon fiber parts that are actually FIBERGLASS!! - 600RR.net
Vendor Experiences The Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down *SCAM ALERT* *PIT-ECK* sells fake Carbon fiber parts that are actually FIBERGLASS!!

I love carbon fiber. So when I saw this shock protector for sale for pretty dang cheap, I thought there might be something fishy with it, but nevertheless I purchased it anyway since it was on ebay through paypal (with the buyer protection etc..)

Sure enough I receive it and right away notice DAMN its heavy.

Looking through the holes drilled in it for mounting it's clear as day that it's actually fiberglass with a thin layer of CF on the outside.

It's marketed as the "BEST CARBON FIBER!!!" But no, it's not.

This is the same as a jeweler selling a ring advertised as pure gold, but it's actually just gold plated.

PIT-ECK won't give me a partial refund, and I had to go through paypal to make a claim and waste my time. I'm able to return it for a refund now, but if you bought something from their online shop or order over the phone with a credit card you might just be screwed.

Here's a link to the ebay listing, and a screen shot of the ad because eventually the listing on ebay will expire.

DUCATI 748 916 SUSPENSION PROTECTOR CARBON FIBER D-30 | eBay

http://www.pit-eck.com/view-product/1141

Just a heads up for everyone on the forum to be wary of them.

FU Pit-eck ::: Aftermarket Sportbike Parts and Accessories

ZRX1200R Eddie Lawson race replica, 2008 R1, Santander/Haga Race replica.

Last edited by nidyanazo; 05-18-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I guess it is true on when they say you get what your pay for.

07 civic hybrid-Gas Saver
08 Tahoe LT- Family SUV
05 BMW 745LI- Weekends
07 White/silver CBR600RR-Sold
08 Konica Minolta CBR600RR-Sold :(
09 Red/White CBR600rr- DD
Akrapovic and Hyperflo Comparison
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I would of hit the back button after reading the ad... just saying bahaha

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
To be honest, a lot of aftermarket "carbon fibre" parts are made this way. Hell, even Seibon, VIS, etc. automotive carbon manufacturers make all of their body panels with a fiberglass base layer. Not only does it drastically cuts down on the cost of their manufacturing, it weighs only marginally more, and also helps stop light from bleeding through.

If you're die-hard and only want 100% carbon pieces (for weight reduction, etc.), then I'd be careful purchasing carbon parts that do not specify "100% carbon" in the description.

The stuff I bought from froggie on here is manufactured exactly the same way (although he does offer a more expensive 100% CF option). It doesn't really matter to me. I'm definitely not buying the parts for weight reduction, only looks.

It sucks that you were mislead by the ad, but you honestly bought it for next to nothing. So long as the fitment is still decent, it wouldn't bother me at all. I'd be more worried about whether they also cheaped-out on the resin and clear coat.

07 - Blue/Silver

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Thanks for the heads up i knew long time ago that their stuff is regular fiber glass that is layered in CF all you got to do is look at the back side and right away you will notice its simply fiber glass the other give away is how shiny their parts are way to shiny than real CF parts that have been clear coated

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Most cheaper parts (as already said) are made this way. You really need to ask before buying. I've used a LOT of CF but I use it in places where it's light weight and structural integrity is NEEDED. I lay up my own also. If you're just using these bits to look pretty then it's not a bad way to go. When I put a $5,000.00 Nitro burning scale heli in the air I use only the good stuff.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Most cheaper parts (as already said) are made this way. You really need to ask before buying. I've used a LOT of CF but I use it in places where it's light weight and structural integrity is NEEDED. I lay up my own also. If you're just using these bits to look pretty then it's not a bad way to go. When I put a $5,000.00 Nitro burning scale heli in the air I use only the good stuff.
Of course it isn't cool enough that you ride an Aprilia RSV4 and track a 600RR, but you gotta fly scale nitro heli's too! Whatever dude.. lol..

Currently own:
09' 600RR | Jade (ASV Shorties / Jardine RT-One)
96' 900RR | Jessica Alba (Wiseco/Erion/D&D/RaceTech/too many to list)

MSF Basic Rider Course Locations - http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?
Houston Press News - http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-10-...speed-racers/1
Wind Chill Calculator - http://www.ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml
A* Ridge Waterproof Riding Boots Review - https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=204100
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
I have been thinking of lay up my own CF. How hard to you consider it?

07 civic hybrid-Gas Saver
08 Tahoe LT- Family SUV
05 BMW 745LI- Weekends
08 Konica Minolta CBR600RR-Sold :(
09 Red/White CBR600rr- DD
Akrapovic and Hyperflo Comparison
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM
World Superbike Racer

If you read the ad it says "Surface Finish: Carbon Fiber" I read through it and couldn't see anywhere that actually called it carbon fiber.

I used to work for eBay and had to deal with this stuff daily. Sellers will word things in such a way to be misleading but save them selfs from disgruntled customers. Eventually it will catch up with them but it's a pretty common scam on eBay.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Not to hijack the thread but how can i learn how to lay down my own CF. Just start small and you'll get better at it route?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3dmax View Post
Not to hijack the thread but how can i learn how to lay down my own CF. Just start small and you'll get better at it route?
It's very easy. There are different ways about making solid parts or laminate pieces. Most people don't have vacuum set ups to vacuum bag, and if you end up using a regular house hold vacuum cleaner, the airborne particles in the resin will leave residue and build up effectively destroying it over time. If you have experience with fiber glass, you should already be able to do the same thing with carbon fiber. You'll want to start off small because the fabric will get expensive quick. Start by doing some molds over something small. It can take time, but it's not hard at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page