A Situation That Is Unfolding... - 600RR.net
Vendor Experiences The Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A Situation That Is Unfolding...

Hello my favorite online community.

Today I have decided to gather some feedback from you on a certain scenario that is unfolding and would like to know what you think about it.
I unfortunately have seen some members fall prey to the groupthink attitude which makes them just side with vendors. So to SOME I say, please put yourself in the shoes of the customer.

Now I inquired about a number of products, and was given the prices for all the items and after I decided on them I took a few days to make the necessary wire transfer which happens to take place right before the weekend so naturally it would take a bit longer to go through. Then after the money was wired to the vendor, I received a response stating that a certain product has had a price hike and therefore the vendor cannot sell that item to me at the price quoted initially. The vendor claims the price hike is for $60. I checked their website and apparently the product is listed at the initially quoted amount +$40 not $60. That is not suspicious at all....not at all.

There have been many vendors on here and on other forums that alert the community when a price increase is imminent just like Motomummy did when Bazzaz decided to hike their prices, hell they even stated an approximate percentage and did so maybe 2 weeks before IIRC. So for a vendor to receive payment and then tell you the next day there has been an increase in price and also on top of that blame you that you have spent too much time to send payment when the day before their last email stated "OK thank you for update" is...........(you fill in the blank)

Keep in mind that for me to make an unfair concession and wire more money, my bank and the vendor's bank will both charge me fees that will amount to more than the actual price difference.

I will not disclose the vendor at this point. Since the situation just came to light very recently, I am waiting to see what their response will be. I will keep you updated and appreciate your feedback.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.

Last edited by Rad Rage; 01-16-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Has shipping been added in the equation before you were told about the price or not I am speculating that may be after you placed the order and paid they realized your are overseas so they decided to up the tally in order to cover shipping to you

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
Has shipping been added in the equation before you were told about the price or not I am speculating that may be after you placed the order and paid they realized your are overseas so they decided to up the tally in order to cover shipping to you
Every single thing was sorted before I was told about this price hike. Both USPS International shipping to Kuwait and their bank's wire transfer fee was included in the money that I already wired to them.

Co-President of Team46

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Back in the Day

Ok so there was no any surprises on your part and you place the order then out of left field comes that increase hopefully the vendor will work with you on that issue keep me posted

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 AM
clx
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
its not clear how many days after the initial quote you made the payment. initially you say couple of days plus the weekend. id say check the original quote for a "valid for 7 days" or whatever and work from there.

it is not unreasonable to understand the vendor may need to increase prices, especially if some time goes by, and more so if his stock on hand is low and he needs to re-order, but on the other hand the increase needs to match that indicated on his website.

i always confirm the price and stock on hand when i made payment, more so if the quote is outdated by even a day.

2005 600rr 36300km
2001 Isuzu kb 320 V6 LX double cab 212000km
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
Ok so there was no any surprises on your part and you place the order then out of left field comes that increase hopefully the vendor will work with you on that issue keep me posted
I will certainly keep you posted. Thanks Moe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clx View Post
its not clear how many days after the initial quote you made the payment. initially you say couple of days plus the weekend. id say check the original quote for a "valid for 7 days" or whatever and work from there.

it is not unreasonable to understand the vendor may need to increase prices, especially if some time goes by, and more so if his stock on hand is low and he needs to re-order, but on the other hand the increase needs to match that indicated on his website.

i always confirm the price and stock on hand when i made payment, more so if the quote is outdated by even a day.

There were emails going back and forth just to ensure the payment was made/received. Never in any of those emails was anything mentioned about a possible price increase. In addition, the original quote had no expiry, i.e. it did not say it was valid for a specific number of days.

Co-President of Team46

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Based on your side...

I would cancel the order immediately - not cool, dare I say dishonest, to change prices during such a short time frame, especially if they knew where you are and the method of payment. The wire transfer will show you paid before the price hike. Even if the money is received afterwards, a customer is not responsible for a vendor's business issues, ever. If you don't want to cancel, I would remind the vendor that this is a forum and there will be a review later that a lot of people may see and hopefully they'll understand the value of putting the customer first. A wire transfer takes a couple of days (maybe a week) so for the vendor to claim the price hike is a surprise isn't really credible. Or, they should delay the price hike to allow agreements to go through - in any case, it shouldn't be applied to old stock.

I've seen some unreasonable, almost whining customer complaints about about dry minor here (not your case), but I agree that there are a lot of sheep here that take the vendor's side. They're just hurting themselves and the rest of us in the future. Not saying vendors should ever put up with irrational customer requests, but I've seen a couple of complaints about the damage negative comments do to their business. Frankly, that's a joke. Don't want a negative impact, don't give substandard service or rude replies. It's hilarious when members back up such comments about reasonable feedback.

Luckily, most of the vendors here seem to do a great job.

Last edited by Maaku; 01-16-2013 at 05:24 AM.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Hmm... following this with interest.

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Vendor should honour the quoted price.
Kind of a bitch move to up the price after you made the payment.
Not a smart business approach because now he lost the sale, the customer and any potential future business.

Are you planning on revealing who this vendor is?
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) policies prohibit resellers or dealers from advertising a manufacturer’s products below a certain minimum price. The primary purpose for implementing a MAP program is to promote fair competition across the manufacturer’s affiliate and dealer channels. MAP programs are critically important to manufacturers who sell their products on the internet in light of the extremely low costs of advertising in pay-per click, shopping comparison, and auction sites. Despite the value of MAP programs, significant legal concerns exist regarding establishment and enforcement of minimum advertised pricing policies for e-commerce companies.
He might not have a choice in the pricing, but should honor the original quote and cover the $20 loss at the expense of customer satisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Back in the Day

Its a measley twenty dollars even if the price went up its not the buyers's fault I hope this vendor makes the right decision and honor the sale with the quoted price

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'll assume it's not us that you're dealing with (of course you would go directly to the BEST salesperson at STG, ME).

Just this week I quoted an Ohlins shock for a super good forum customer. I checked stock and dealer cost then calculated him a price. TWO days later I put the order in and my dealer told me my cost was now $30 more than the cell phone email quote he gave me. Just bringing this up because I have recently seen prices change that were not within my control. Personally I just ate it and kept my quoted price, though the profit on that piece was almost nothing.

I'll assume you're getting a deal if you're working with a vendor directly and I guess I can see how $60 might be the difference between being upside down on a specific item. Sometimes these prices are so beat up there just isn't room for another $20-$40 off. Although the overall profit is surely over $60, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for the vendor to man up and ask for the extra money.

Again, I don't know all the details but I'll assume for the second time that you're getting a decent deal. If this was a retail purchase I could see eating the mistake but I know some of my quotes for RR members don't have room for another $60 off.

Subscribed for the resolution. Also, I hope that you give the vendor a decent chance to make things right before anything gets out of hand.

Last edited by SportbikeTrackGear; 01-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'll assume it's not us that you're dealing with (of course you would go directly to the BEST salesperson at STG, ME).

Just this week I quoted an Ohlins shock for a super good forum customer. I checked stock and dealer cost then calculated him a price. TWO days later I put the order in and my dealer told me my cost was now $30 more than the cell phone email quote he gave me. Just bringing this up because I have recently seen prices change that were not within my control. Personally I just ate it and kept my quoted price, though the profit on that piece was almost nothing.

I'll assume you're getting a deal if you're working with a vendor directly and I guess I can see how $60 might be the difference between being upside down on a specific item. Sometimes these prices are so beat up there just isn't room for another $20-$40 off. Although the overall profit is surely over $60, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for the vendor to man up and ask for the extra money.

Again, I don't know all the details but I'll assume for the second time that you're getting a decent deal. If this was a retail purchase I could see eating the mistake but I know some of my quotes for RR members don't have room for another $60 off.

Subscribed for the resolution. Also, I hope that you give the vendor a decent chance to make things right before anything gets out of hand.

Im with everyone else about canceling the order. If its a company what is $20, opposed to an angry customer.

And above is why people love dealing with stg and other specific vendors.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
World Superbike Racer

Thanks man, appreciate it.

I don't think it's time to cancel just yet. OP, correct me if I'm wrong but I'll assume this isn't exactly a small order?
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Canceling is pointless since the money was wired. The cost of transfer will be lost by both vender and customer.

I would say a quoted price should be honored especially if the advertised price matches

on the go~~~~~

01 cbr600f4i - sold
06 cbr600rr - totaled rip
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
The Vendor should honour the quoted price.
Kind of a bitch move to up the price after you made the payment.
Not a smart business approach because now he lost the sale, the customer and any potential future business.

Are you planning on revealing who this vendor is?
I agree , the vendor should always honor the price .. I've even made mistakes before telling someone shipping was 5.00 , they made the order then I found out they were abroad , somewhere in the UK .. Shipping for me to the UK is between 16 and 28.00 for Priority.

What did I do in this case ? I said nothing and paid it out of my pocket. It's the only right thing to do , you may lose money but in my case I made someone happy and a potential repeat customer .

Specializing in Motorcycle Graphics - ATV Graphics

Custom Motorcycle Graphics www.KrazyGraphics.com

Check out my website @ https://www.KrazyGraphics.com

Like the FaceBook Page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/KrazyG...36983032993883
The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyGraphics For This Useful Post:
CBR Time (01-16-2013)
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Debt Management Counselor

Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonix36 View Post
Canceling is pointless since the money was wired. The cost of transfer will be lost by both vender and customer.

I would say a quoted price should be honored especially if the advertised price matches

on the go~~~~~
+1

with it being a wire transfer, in all honesty, the customer is stuck. the only way to get any refund is if the company decides to send it back to him. i would highly recommend you setting up a paypal account to use for future purchases overseas. this way you have some type of way to get a refund if the company isnt willing to honor what he should.

just to give you some insight from our end. all the messages we send never really have an end date to the price unless its a monthly special that we advertise. a good rule of thumb for the customer to go by is only assume that your price will be good until the end of the month. normally pricing changes only happen once or twice a year. a good bit of products (tires, oil,etc.) changes month to month. the % always fluctuates.

the best way,imo, to pick who to do business with on a forum is look and see how much that company actually gets on the board, offers advice, and trys to help members by answering questions posted on the forum. those are the companies that actually value your support here. from what i have seen over the years, generally, these companies tend to take care of the members better.

there are a number of sponsors/vendors on here that just post up stuff for sale without any help for any member outside of their "for sale" threads. those guys just consider you a sales number. buyer beware when dealing with these companies.

we have always been on here answering questions and trying to help guys out. i myself have been on hondas 22 years now. got 4 in my garage right now, including a 600rr. if you ever have any questions concerning something, just ask. ill answer what i can.

good luck and hopefully the situation you are in works out the way you want it to.

http://www.superbikesupply.com
[email protected]
828-287-2101-sales
FEED YOUR EGO!!
http://www.facebook.com/superbikesupply
08 cbr 1000rr
07 cbr 600rr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lexusrx For This Useful Post:
CBR Time (01-16-2013), Moeman (01-16-2013), Tater S (01-22-2013)
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Moto GP Racer

The great thing about this site is that the majority of vendor experiences are very good if you read the feedback - a big thank-you to the vendors for making the site a better place, especially those to participate actively in our discussions like Jason. Without them, no doubt the forum wouldn't have all the nice options it does.

But claiming a price change is very, very suspicious. It could be the first step in a bait-and-switch move if another, cheaper product is proposed later. It's dodgy as hell to change prices on a customer after an agreement and should never be accepted. It's the seller's own fault and they should suck it up.

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

It's important for a business to know that 50% of the value of their business is customer service. No matter how good their products are, the business will always fail when lacking service.

In OP's case, not only is it bad customer service, it sounds really shady, fraudulent almost. It's like taking something off the shelf, paid for it at the register, then the cashier won't give you your item until you hand over another $60. BS.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Well said , I don't have any reviews on this section myself but I do in product reviews . Hopefully my customers will start posting in this section :/ I think this is a PR 4 site so anything said he will get picked up by Google , so its VERY important to keep a good name and be loyal to your customers .

Like the FaceBook Page

post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Hope you get this resolved OP.

Based on what you've said, vendor should really either honour the quoted price or, at the very least, offer you a full refund if you want to walk away.
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyGraphics View Post
I don't have any reviews on this section myself but I do in product reviews . Hopefully my customers will start posting in this section
I pay all these people to post nice things about me.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportbikeTrackGear For This Useful Post:
Inkslingerxx (01-18-2013)
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Zoom-Spark View Post
Hope you get this resolved OP.

Based on what you've said, vendor should really either honour the quoted price or, at the very least, offer you a full refund if you want to walk away.
I agree and also hope this is resolved soon.

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
A lot of companies have price increases that go into effect on the first of the year. If you were quoted before the first and ordered after, that may be why the price has changed. However, the vendor should have known this and warned you. Beginning in December, I tell everyone that I quote something to that the prices will change after the first of the year.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
In that case just an fyi your check bounced I need another one (JK )

post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
BOTM Winner 8/12 / Super Moderator

Thanked 1,043 Times in 921 Posts
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Vendor should def honor orig quoted price, could be an increase of $2 or $20 its the principle here. Interested to see how this turns out, Rad is the Vendor a pop one on here? :P
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
That is an AWESOME idea !!

Like the FaceBook Page

post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
+1. I always go to Jason for Alpinestars gear. He always hook me up with good deals. It was so good that I setup a direct deposit with them. ;)
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM
BOTM Winner 03/13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyGraphics View Post
That is an AWESOME idea !!
Thread hijack:

Starting a list for those of us who want a bung from KrazyGraphics:

1. Sun-Zoom-Spark

P.S. I've never purchased from him, or seen any of his work but his decals are awesome
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Zoom-Spark View Post
Thread hijack:

Starting a list for those of us who want a bung from KrazyGraphics:

1. Sun-Zoom-Spark

P.S. I've never purchased from him, or seen any of his work but his decals are awesome
Call me crazy but wtf is a bung?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page