Awful customer service at Cycle Gear - 600RR.net
Vendor Experiences The Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awful customer service at Cycle Gear

Today a buddy and I ride to a local Cycle Gear just to browse and as soon as we walk in we get greeted by a sales rep who was just talking out of his a$$. He asked if we do track days and we said we have never been to one but the goal is to get to one this year. He said okay that is going to cost you $700 for the day itself not to mention the new Shoei helmet, leathers, gloves and race boots your going to have to buy. You're also going to have to tie the drain plug, oil filter and remove all coolant. I kid you not these where his exact words. Clearly he works off commission. I said I don't know when you went to a track day last but a day is $190, I already have a snell approved helment so I don't need a new Shoei, I can rent leathers for $60 and I have over the ankle riding boots so I don't need race boots. Also if you ride in the beginner class you don't need to wiretie anything beside the kickstand. He said " You will crash so you need to be well protected." I go how are you going to tell me that I will crash? He said just telling you the facts. I said your an idiot and walked out.

I like their selection just don't like the people that work there. End of rant.

2001 CBR 600F4i - Sold
2007 CBR 600RR - Pure Awesomeness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Their selection is garbage (Bilt) and not much else except for Sedici...the same thing really. I used to love shopping at CG 7 years or so ago, when they had a selection of real gear and parts. They have slid VERY far downhill. I only go there if I have an emergency need.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Pocketbike Racer

They don't work off commission really but being an AMA racer isn't exactly a requirement, either. Same with most shops.

K8 GSXR750
K7 CBR600RR

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

You sound like the victim of a brotale.

2006 HONDA CBR600RR: SOLD JUN'13

FLUTTERSHY
600rr.net Crash Stats: Will You Crash?

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I dig CG.... In any shop I go into, I have done my research and know exactly what I want and why I want it. Do that and no one will change your mind.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobie snacks View Post
I dig CG.... In any shop I go into, I have done my research and know exactly what I want and why I want it. Do that and no one will change your mind.
That's the problem, they don't carry the stuff I need anymore.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The only expensive stuff I but from CG is tires and chains. They do have a wide selection of helmets but that's about it for gear. They used to have a wider selection of gear but have brought in a large amount of the bilt gear making the selection of other brands small...I do go there for small and inexpensive stuff

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"It sounds like a Ferrari having an orgasm"
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I go there for little bullshit, but not any significant purchases.

It's the KMart of "Cycle Gear."

2008 CBR 600RR #1 (Graffiti) street
2008 CBR 600RR #2 track
CMRA #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Unfortunately bikes fall over. It's in their nature.
It's our job to keep them upright, but we are only men.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
That's the problem, they don't carry the stuff I need anymore.
Ahhh.. got it! The selection isn't the best I agree.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
They do have to hit goals to get bonuses and commissions. Most of their employees are just low wage employees though for sales. You have to remember they have 80+ stores and tons of employees. You met one bad employee not a bad company though. However, I have other thoughts about their "great selection", but I won't post them here.

Just remember though, you met one bad employee, not a bad company imo. Their company and selection differs greatly from ours, but that doesn't mean they are bad, just different. Never hang a company by one employee though. I don't know one company who hasn't had a bad employee or employee with an "off" day. Just saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to motomummy For This Useful Post:
PhotoAl (08-23-2013)
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomummy View Post
They do have to hit goals to get bonuses and commissions. Most of their employees are just low wage employees though for sales. You have to remember they have 80+ stores and tons of employees. You met one bad employee not a bad company though. However, I have other thoughts about their "great selection", but I won't post them here.

Just remember though, you met one bad employee, not a bad company imo. Their company and selection differs greatly from ours, but that doesn't mean they are bad, just different. Never hang a company by one employee though. I don't know one company who hasn't had a bad employee or employee with an "off" day. Just saying.
Well put MUMMY!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

You're absolutely right, we all have a bad day, but you only get one chance to make a first impression and it's up to companies to make sure that happens. Pay people right, train them right, treat the customers right and there won't be... as many... problems. Every employee represents their company and if the company doesn't care enough to instill this idea, it says something about the company. Luckily most experiences with vendors on this site seem to be very positive.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 AM
World Superbike Racer

Same page C-Roy, couldn't agree more. I can't imagine having that many stores and trying to fill them with quality people. Paid well and treated well or not, I don't expect every single person up there to be an allstar employee (like Corey). At Indy MotoGP I see some of the bigger brands (A*, Dainese) bring on people that don't exactly know what they're talking about to help out because the booth is so big.

I'm rambling........

Now the exact situation the OP posted about, that employee seemed like a complete idiot.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
If you're talking about the CG in Schaumburg I know exactly what you are talking about. I stopped in there once..... wasn't impressed one bit. The store was small (but I've never been in any other CG so I don't know how it compares size wise) It seemed like most of the leather jackets they had were Dainese..... There's a Dainese store just a few miles away.

When I was there I pretty much minded my own business as I knew what I was looking for, but couldn't find it.

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

The CG I go to rocks! They have a plethora of all kinds and brands of gear. If they don’t have it, they order it for me and usually get there in 2 days or less.
You get those kinds of employees no matter where you go.
I usually deal with one employee at mine and he really knows his stuff - actually there are a couple there that do.
On line purchased just do not work for me when buying gear. I have to be able to try it on, feel, and touch it. I am much too impatient for this shipping back and forth crap. I want it that day or within a couple of days and I want it right the first time.

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Their selection is garbage (Bilt) and not much else except for Sedici...the same thing really. I used to love shopping at CG 7 years or so ago, when they had a selection of real gear and parts. They have slid VERY far downhill. I only go there if I have an emergency need.
I some what agree with you. You can still get AGV from them and that's not a bad helmet, Sedici is okay too. But they do have great deal on other stuffs that are more maintainence related, tools, stands, and things like that. And that's what I go there for. However I would stay away from their online store.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
when he said "you will crash" that reminds me to the saying that i cant stand "theres two type of riders blah blah" which i think a significant amount of riders believe only because they are the riders that actually crashed and thats because they are pushing to the limit in order to get better. nothing wrong with that its just people forget that not everyone pushes their limits.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:06 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Wow the exact same thing has happened in my town in the same time span.
The Cyclegear in my town without question absolutely BLOWS!!!

All of their staff are newbs and they pretty much only stock Bilt and Sedici gear.
You'll only find a couple things Dainese and not much in the way of sizes.
They're pretty much stocked for the people who just got their endorsement or people who don't want to spend any money on good gear.

I've known people that used to work there and they say it's not their fault. They've requested better gear for display or stock and it's never sent unless a customer has payed for it.
Apparently their headquarters is dictating just what to send that store.
At one point they closed down the whole store for a week and fired everybody because their sales were so bad.
I don't know but maybe if they didn't ask so much for the decent gear and kept it in stock, and maybe if they didn't stock absolute crap their sales would be just a little higher?

Helmets, don't make me laugh. They have a "few" Shoei x12's and RF1100's but that's it when it comes to anything serious. Bilt Bilt Bilt Baby

Just close that shop already, it's an abomination

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Thank you for purchasing a 600rr as your first bike.
The odds are strong that you will successfully add to our classified section and help lower parts prices

Crash Stats: Length of ownership
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=313730

Last edited by Tater S; 08-21-2013 at 07:17 AM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:

Just remember though, you met one bad employee, not a bad company imo.
It's not just one employee though, it's the attitude of the company in general. They hire people that for the most part aren't able to provide KNOWLEDGEABLE customer service. They also push their cheap, imported products over the quality stuff they used to sell. They have lowered their standards and it shows.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had nothing but good experiences with the guys at my local Cycle Gear. They don't have the best selection of gear and the quality of stuff has definitely gone downhill bc of their decision to market and push their house brands, but all the guys at this store have been there forever, they all ride, and they're all really helpful, even going so far as to tell me where to go to get a better deal online or when stuff is going on sale. I've gotten great deals on tires and gloves from them. I wish they carried more high end (or even mid-level) stuff bc they feel like the Wal-Mart of the bike world, but that's what the Internet is for, I guess.

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
$60 for an off the bike tire change.... Enough said.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Pocketbike Racer

All I gotta say is SGT 4 the win.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
All I gotta say is SGT 4 the win.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

I still feel bad every time I go into a CG to try/feel out a product before I call/email/PM Jason to place the order.

2012 CBR600RR

OEM: Solo Seat Cowl ; CBR1000RR Rear Turn Signal Lenses
Akrapovic: Slip-On
Bazzaz: Z-Bomb
Cox Racing Group:
Radiator Guard
DDM Tuning: HID
Lawst Caws: Frame Plugs
Stompgrip: Frame Traction Pads
StreetSkinns: Custom Seat
TechSpec: Snake Skin Tank Grips ; Tank Pro
Tripage: Smoked REG IT ; 40-LED Pegs ; Knight Rider Third Light ; Brake Flasher ; LED Flasher Relay
Watsen Design: Micro Alloy LED Signals

Future Mods: Tripage LED Mirrors & Ultimate KR
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdFrk View Post
I still feel bad every time I go into a CG to try/feel out a product before I call/email/PM Jason to place the order.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Moto GP Racer

haha I met Jason at MotoGP last weekend. Anytime I need some new gear in the future I'm definitely gonna call him.

2W1R - IceTitan
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:

Well, someones had there coffee this morning
TwocansofmonsterenergyeverydaywhetherIneeditornot

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Thank you for purchasing a 600rr as your first bike.
The odds are strong that you will successfully add to our classified section and help lower parts prices

Crash Stats: Length of ownership
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=313730
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
haha I met Jason at MotoGP last weekend. Anytime I need some new gear in the future I'm definitely gonna call him.
Nice meeting you man. I'm sure I'll be talking to you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater S View Post
Well, someones had there coffee this morning
TwocansofmonsterenergyeverydaywhetherIneeditornot
Holy crap, I could have used a couple cans of waketheFup today. I feel like I'm still catching up from 5 full days of work all day/get 4 hours of sleep. I just about fell asleep at my desk after lunch. Not good....

Last edited by SportbikeTrackGear; 08-21-2013 at 04:54 PM.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Nice meeting you man. I'm sure I'll be talking to you soon.

yup, gotta gather all my pennies to buy that pretty new helmet I saw at your scorpion stand

2W1R - IceTitan
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Knee Dragger

Maybe he WAS sleeping and that's why he didn't respond to my message... Hmm...

It's okay Jason, you can admit it!!

Marchesini Al, Leo Vince 8493, BMC, Z-Fi, Gilles vcr38gt, Samco, MPro Revolver, Ballistik 8cell, Amsoil, SuperSprox, RK GXW 520, ASV C5, Fren Tubo, Akra tank panels, TST IT, Proton, Gcraft res, PSR plates, Renthal grips, OEM Seat Cowl & CF stickers, Woodcraft Sliders/Spools/Clip-ons/Axle Sliders, Ariete Stems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page