Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Engine cutting out?

11K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Valeck 
#1 ·
I've had this problem before, and guessed it was because i was giving the bike some shite and hitting the rev limiter.
I'll be giving it some, just about to change gear, and the engine will cut, red lights come on dash (think its HISS and temp, but may be rev as well) but then i change gear and all is fine, bike doesn't splutter or anything.

So i went out today for a quick run and same thing happened again, went to overtake a car, and wallop, all power goes lights on. Changed up a gear let clutch out and all was fine again!!

Now as you can imagine this is a little unsettling, so i the tried to find out where and when it was happening. Seems its around 11,000-12,000 rpm, but it doesn't always happen. I'd have thought the rev limiter would have been set at around 15,000.

I can't tell if the engine is actually cutting out or not, but once its cleared its fine again.

I've got a PCIII fitted, maybe thats contributing?

Any ideas

#2 ·
The rev limiter is an amber light (left) and retards the fuel pump and ignition. The red light (right) is the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) which is telling you your having a fuel injection problem. What your describing sounds like a fuel flow problem. Check your fuel filter and your fuel pressure (50psi at 1,300rpm). It's probably a clogged filter or a bad fuel pump BUT, it could be several things from a bad fuel pressure regulator to bad gas to the ignition system itself.

See if you have a code stored in the ECU. Turn the key on but don't crank the bike. If the MIL blinks count the number of blinks and I can tell you what the code is for.

How long has the PCIII been on. If you suspect it then remove it and see if that solves the problem. But I've seen several people with this same issue the last couple of weeks. Start with the obvious and the most simple things first and work your way out from there. It's usually the stupid things like a fuel filter. ;-)

#3 ·
The PCIII has been on for about a year. Never had stalling problems or anything.

Mine is a UK spec bike if that makes any differece,

When i switch ignition on, (MIL) oil light stays on until engine is started then goes out. No Blinks

I did have a weird thing a good few months back in that i filled up with petrol, and when i started the bike the FI light stayed on for a while. It went off after 20 seconds or so, but i'd never noticed it staying on when the bike was running. Hsn't done it since.

I guess the PCIII may be playing up, but its a right arse to take off again, but if it helps to solve the problem, i might be worth it.

The warrenty for the bike runs out on 12th April, so i'd better get some idea of what it is incase it has to go in for a claim! I suppose for that the PCIII and race can would have to come off or they might deny the warrenty

#5 ·
I'm not sure but I think the filter is under the tank.
But I would take it to the dealer and let them check the problem. It's still under warranty. Just describe the problem as you did and let them take it for a ride if they want. They should be able to figure it out if the problem is repeatable.

#6 ·
Well to take it to the dealer i'll have to take the PCIII off otherwise they will just say its that.
I'll probably leave the race can on, surely they can't complain too much about that!

While i'm taking the PCIII off, i'll look for a filter. If it still does this problem with the PCIII off then its off to the dealer for a checkup!

You mention that some other people had similar problems, what sorted thiers out?

#9 ·
I don't think that is a fuel problem, personally. When you see those lights come on (HISS, FI), it is the same sequence as when you first turn the key on. I'd check the most likely culprit, the battery terminal... be sure everything is tight. It is plausible that the acceleration moves the battery just enough to cut out and shifting returns it... crazy, but possible. Also check the PCIII ground on the battery. Curious to see if that ISN'T it, so keep us up to date.

#11 ·
i'll rip the PCIII out next week and see if that changes anything.

While i've got the tank off, I'll look for the fuel filter (think i've seen it somewhere that its part of the fuel pump) and give that a clean.

Tank is almost empty, so i'll go to a reputable Gas seller and pay the little extra to see if that cures it.

If that all fails, its off to the dealer before the warrenty expires!!

Some guy mentioned that his bike did this before his FI system crapped out. Luckily he was under warrenty as the bill would have been around $2300 :shock:

#12 ·
OK scrub that idea, taking the fuel pump out requires a fresh 'packing' and its a strainer instead of a filter in there. That would mean that there would have to be some pretty large particles in the fuel (rust etc)

If the PCIII and the fuel doesn't work then the dealer can clean the strainer and pay for it all!!!

Had a similar problem like this on an old bike i had, Bike would stutter under acceleration. Dealer replaced CDI, carbs, head gasket and it was still the same.
In the end i noticed a wire when i was cleaning the bike. I traced it back to the CDI unit and found that it was earthing on the chain. It only touched when rear susp compressed under hard acceleration all the other times it was just clear!! (Lucky find!)

Maybe i'll find a damaged wire to the PCIII or something if i'm lucky this time!

#13 ·
Well its not the PCIII.

I took it off last night, and went out for a ride tonight and it still has the same problem,

Played around with it a bit more to get some more experience with it.

So, bike runs and idles fine. Ride around at anything below 11,000 rpm and it rides like a dream. You can ride at 10,000 rpm and hold it and the bike is fine no stutters or anything, so if it was fuel starvation then surely it would crap out after a bit.
Then hit 11,000 rpm and wallop, power goes, HISS and oil light come on bike goes into a nose dive!! Let the power off or change gear and it carries on as normal no misfire or anything.

So then i tried to ride through the problem, and true to form, 10,000 fine, 11,000 lights up like a christmas tree. So i hold throttle open and hang onto this bucking bronco (stutter stutter, misfire, power came on, power goes off) and after a few seconds lights went back out and it carried on upto 14,500 (almost rev limit) without any problems.

This to me suggests its not fuel starvation as it wouldn't be able to do that.

So PCIII off, next thing to try is new tank of fuel. So went to Shell (i usually fill up at Tesco) and put in nearly 15L of Shell Optimax. Rode for about 5 miles then went through the same scenario. acellerate hard to 11,000 and problem still there. Rode at 10,000 rpm for a bit, accelerated to 11,000 rpm still problem.

This is really pissing me off now, as i can't trust the bike one bit. Give it hard acceleration to go past a car and i'm having to worry that its going to loose power and nearly throw me off the bike.

So its a call to the dealer tomorrow and tell them i want a warranty check of the bike as its dangerous and causing me grief! Needs the brake recall anyway so may as well do both at once. Had better hurry though as warranty runs out mid April!

P.s. Haven't got a quick shifter. Its got a Digi Gear indicator and datatool system 3 alarm. Also has a race can, but that shouldn't cause any probs.

#14 ·
There are reported problems with the tip-over sensor causing this problem when it starts to go bad. I would check that out , as well as the HISS . The batteries have also been suspect on several problems like this. And the last thing to check would be your kill switch , as they have been known to cause all kinds of problems.

#16 ·
scotch said:
I got the same problem on my CBR 600 RR race bike, did you find out what the problem was ?
I have removed my PWR Commander 111 (USB) and my digi gear indicator, but it still retards the ignition at 14,000rpm and the oil light comes on.
That sounds like the rev limiter. 14k is a little early but I don't know if that can be calibrated. :dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.