Oil Leak - oil pan gasket or possibly more? - 600RR.net
Maintenance Maintenance advice and questions are here

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak - oil pan gasket or possibly more?

2007 just crossed 11k mi. I bought this bike not too long ago (3rd owner) and am delving into making it mine and maintenance on it. I changed the oil recently for the first time and discovered the bottom of the engine and inside of the lower fairing were covered in oil/dirt/crud. Surprise.

Took me a couple of good attempts to get it clean enough to try to locate the leak. It seems pretty obvious to me that the oil pan gasket is leaking and if so seems like a simple enough fix. However when I shine a light up in the narrow area shown it looks like it could also be wet above the gasket. It's near impossible to tell for sure.

The previous owner had the bike fall over on the left side due to parking on soft asphalt but other than that it has not been down that I am aware of.

Is there anything up there that could be/probably is leaking or should I just start with the oil pan and see if that resolves it? Also today is the first I've seen of the coolant leaking and am assuming that's due to wheelies as I've been out enjoying the warm weather as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_144838.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	199114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_144916.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	199122   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_144930.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	199130  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check your oil cooler. Sometimes people use a screwdriver to remove the filter and wind up punching a hole in the cooler. You may have to remove the oil filter.

Degrease it again and then let the bike idle for awhile without riding it. The air can push oil all around making it harder to figure out where the oil is coming from.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to NewRedRider For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-16-2018)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

It's definitely not the oil cooler. The front side of the engine is bone dry. It's coming from the rear center area at or above the gasket. I'll try degreasing again and let it idle. Maybe I need a better flashlight see up in the crevices.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
last picture looks like dirty water to me?

have you washed the bike recently? they tend to hold water in strange places until fully dry
The Following User Says Thank You to blamrr For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-16-2018)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I have washed the bike a couple times but there is definitely an oil leak as it was covered in old oil and dirt and it definitely smells of oil under there now. I think coolant leaked and mixed with the oil maybe that made it look more watery? I have degreased it again and will idle it later today after I finish installing my frame sliders.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
Degrease it again and then let the bike idle for awhile without riding it. The air can push oil all around making it harder to figure out where the oil is coming from.
Ok I degreased it again and let it idle on the rear and front stands for 30 minutes. About halfway through I put it in 1st gear and held the rpm's at about 5k rpm for about a minute or so. Took it off the stands and let it idle on the kickstand for another 10 minutes.

I don't see any oil leaking anywhere now. Do I need to let it idle longer? Is it a compression thing and I need to rev it higher or ride it a little?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:25 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think you did fine for now. I hope it's not compression related. It may be the previous owners were just sloppy, didn't care about spilling oil, and never cleaned anything so all that oil and dirt was just buildup. Take it for a short spin around the block and recheck it. If you still can't find any leaks then just keep an eye on your oil level for awhile. If it's leaking you'll notice.

Another thought is, did the previous owner use 90w gear oil on the chain? Why I highly recommend it, some people can get carried away and use too much. Does the chain look waxed or oiled?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Last edited by NewRedRider; 04-28-2018 at 09:39 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewRedRider For This Useful Post:
ATLscott (04-28-2018), dixon cider (09-16-2018)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I cleaned and lubed the chain last week and it was pretty dry. I plan on riding it tomorrow and will keep an eye on the oil. Will update.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Okay I took it out today for a casual 10 minute spin at moderate speeds and lean angles. No oil leaked whatsoever.

Great I think, let's go for a real ride. Went for 40 minutes at speeds up to about 80 and sometimes at high rpm and lean angles. Practiced a few short wheelies. Got back and found oil. Less leakage than before and I was able to get a better picture.

It looks like it's coming from up above the oil pan right around the area where it curves. You can definitely see that it's wet up there so unless the wind blew it up there it's leaking down from a spot I can't see and hitting the gasket and moving along the edge of the oil pan and leaking down from there.

Any clue as to what could be leaking up there? Why it leaks sometimes but not at idle or low speeds? Should I disassemble and investigate? I have time to tinker. Should I just change the oil pan gasket and see if that solves it?

I don't really know what's above that area that could be leaking. I could take it to a shop if necessary but I'd rather figure it out myself if possible. Also it's definitely oil I waited for the bike to cool down and wiped it with my finger to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180429_185234.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	199170  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:07 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey man,

Funny you have the same thing I have going on right now. I've taken the water pump out, replaced the seals on the water pump/coolant pump. Still leaking, all i can assume is its the oil pan gasket or something else that I'm clearly missing. Mine is literally coming from exactly where yours is. I've even resealed my sator cover since i put woodcraft case covers on. I don't know what would cause it.

Heres a picture I took...

https://imgur.com/a/ekCNEAh

I think its coming from the oil pan seal.. but I could be wrong. I've yet to find out the source of it.

Last edited by 400kg; 05-01-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400kg View Post
Funny you have the same thing I have going on right now.
Good pic. Helps to know what you've tried. I have the header crush washers coming in Thursday and am planning on taking the oil pan off and resealing it. Will post results.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATLscott For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-16-2018)
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLscott View Post
Good pic. Helps to know what you've tried. I have the header crush washers coming in Thursday and am planning on taking the oil pan off and resealing it. Will post results.

Did you buy the oil pan gasket? If so whats the part #?? I was going to just use RTV on it, but if they have an actual gasket id rather use that for ease of use.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Did you buy the oil pan gasket? If so whats the part #?? I was going to just use RTV on it, but if they have an actual gasket id rather use that for ease of use.
No gasket, the dealer recommended yamabond so that's what I bought. He said the hondabond is messier to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATLscott For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (09-16-2018)
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Right on. I use Hondabond, all the same ****. Its just RTV with high temp tolerances. Sportbiketrackgear sells CBR600RR Gasket sets. But i dont wanna pay 40 bucks for a bunch of gaskets to only use one.

I have a trackday coming up on May 19/20th, so im looking to have this hopefully pinpointed by then, if not oh well. I've been lazy with it and its not a major leak, but still a leak nonetheless. I'd just like to fix it ASAP, so I'm really looking forward to what you find out, take some pictures so i can see what I'll be working with?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Will do. This will be my first time taking the headers off but I'm hoping it will be straightforward. I'll try to get some pics.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm a little confused here. So If you guys are both noticing that oil is dripping down from ABOVE the oil pan mating surfaces, why would you think it's the oil pan gasket still? Odds are a slow leak is not going to travel up onto the crankcase, that's just not common and doesn't make much sense. Seems like a waste of money and time until you can actually clarify where the leak is originating from. The surface tension is probably causing the oil to collect and spread/absorb near the gasket mating surface until it's enough to start dripping down the pan.

If it's really that difficult to tell, try getting a small flexible light up there and double check it again. You can use some brake cleaner, blow it all off with some compressed air, and mask off that area well with some tape when it's still dry. After a ride if it's still leaking, you should be able to tell if it's the gasket leaking under the masked off section because there will be be oil underneath it. If it's dry underneath, oil will either collect on the top of the tape edge or drip over around it telling you it's not an oil pan gasket leak and vice versa.
The Following User Says Thank You to 03cbr-rider For This Useful Post:
ATLscott (05-03-2018)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:52 AM
Knee Dragger

^ *common sense*
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
why would you think it's the oil pan gasket still? Odds are a slow leak is not going to travel up onto the crankcase, that's just not common and doesn't make much sense. Seems like a waste of money and time until you can actually clarify where the leak is originating from. The surface tension is probably causing the oil to collect and spread/absorb near the gasket mating surface until it's enough to start dripping down the pan.
Agreed, and that's why I was posting for insight. I've haven't done much outside of routine maintenance and I've been struggling to find the source of the leak so figured I'd start with what I know I can fix to help me troubleshoot. Not necessarily the most efficient route but hey I'm workin with what I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
mask off that area well with some tape when it's still dry. After a ride if it's still leaking, you should be able to tell if it's the gasket leaking under the masked off section because there will be be oil underneath it. If it's dry underneath, oil will either collect on the top of the tape edge or drip over around it telling you it's not an oil pan gasket leak and vice versa.
Great idea, I'll be trying this before I do anything else. Thanks for the tip!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Finally had a chance to work on the bike for a bit today. I cleaned it up and taped off as best I could above the gasket for the oil pan. It was difficult as it's such a tight and curved spot so the tape kept wanting to tear and not stick flush at the top edge so not sure if it worked perfectly.

After riding the oil was on top of the tape and the area above the tape looked wet so I am going to buy a service manual and start taking things off and see if I can find it. I'm new to anything above basic maintenance and want to get the experience.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLscott View Post
Finally had a chance to work on the bike for a bit today. I cleaned it up and taped off as best I could above the gasket for the oil pan. It was difficult as it's such a tight and curved spot so the tape kept wanting to tear and not stick flush at the top edge so not sure if it worked perfectly.

After riding the oil was on top of the tape and the area above the tape looked wet so I am going to buy a service manual and start taking things off and see if I can find it. I'm new to anything above basic maintenance and want to get the experience.
Any updates on this man? I'm about to start ripping everything apart. I want to drop my motor and see whats going on. I have yet to find where its coming from and its really getting annoying.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Training Wheel Hero

The first picture shows what looks like a coolant leak.

Here's what happened to me. I noticed coolant and oil leaking from my water pump weep hole. I replaced the pump. Started leaking again soon after. Oil started leaking from the alternator wire connector located behind the upper, left fairing. The oil was weeping from the wires, inside the wire strand insulation. Weird. Just a little, but weird. Replaced the stator. Went to a track day. Just as I pulled into my pit after the second session my engine started blowing oil all over the place. Not leaking, pouring! I was "That Guy." End of an expensive track day 4 hours from home.

Took the bike home, found the valve cover gasket was blown out of its groove. Why did that happen? Why was oil weeping from both the water pump and the alternator wires? It happened because some a-hole who owned the bike before me plugged up the crank case breather connector in the air cleaner to keep his precious air filter from getting oily. Had the gasket let go in a fast turn it could have been very bad.

I drilled out the connector and viola! Problem solved.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Your crank case breather connector...... Where is that? I dont have oil coming from the alternator, i redid that gasket and checked the seals around it to make sure oil wasn't coming from there. It wasn't that. I just cant find the source of the leak. I might take it to a shop and see if they can figure it out. My bikes only at 6k miles, so this shouldn't even be happening...
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Any updates on this man? I'm about to start ripping everything apart. I want to drop my motor and see whats going on. I have yet to find where its coming from and its really getting annoying.
Been hectic lately and haven't been able to ride or work on the bike much.

I took off the water pump and it did seem oily that high up but not above it so I assumed it was a bad o-ring and replaced both water pump gaskets. Put it all back together and... there is still an oil leak but it doesn't leak in exactly the same spot/way. I think in my frustration to get the complicated o-ring (internal water pump) it may have slipped and now it may be leaking from there.

I only got to ride it once briefly to check the leak and have been out of town since. Figured while it was down I'd do some other maintenance and sent the gauge cluster in to tripage to have the gear indicator added and I also ordered the led upgrade kit and will be installing all of that when I finally get back to the bike (in 6 weeks hopefully) before I can do any more oil leak work.

I need new tires too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180604_143814.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	199597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-1437046903.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	199599   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_121409.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	199601  
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Your crank case breather connector...... Where is that? I dont have oil coming from the alternator, i redid that gasket and checked the seals around it to make sure oil wasn't coming from there. It wasn't that. I just cant find the source of the leak. I might take it to a shop and see if they can figure it out. My bikes only at 6k miles, so this shouldn't even be happening...

The crank case breather hose is the black hose that connects to the under/right side of the lower housing of the air cleaner housing. Make sure the hole inside the lower housing has not been plugged with a bolt or epoxy.

Looks to me like the leak could be coming from the water pump weep hole.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Did you ever figure out where the leak was coming from? I seem to have a similar situation going on with mine now. The bottom of the oil pan has oil on it with bike just sitting. I wiped it all down and hasn't dripped yet in over week but the pan itself has oil on it again. I'll add it's not coming from drain plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page