A pair of stands or a center jack? - 600RR.net
Maintenance Maintenance advice and questions are here

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A pair of stands or a center jack?

I bought a used pair of swing arm and front paddock stands. There are also center jacks or center lifts to use instead. Which method is better? I intend on changing tires (removing both wheels) and general maintenance.
Right now the front forks lift gets in the way of removing the front axle. So imma have to get a proper triple tree lift. Or should I sell both stands and get a center jack? A center jack seems twice as simple as a pair of jacks, and it would lift it up higher off the ground. Is there a reason I shouldn’t go that route?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:08 AM
Pocketbike Racer

My fork lift doesn't get in the way of removing the front wheel, and it's just one of the cheap "trackside" models you can get at cyclegear. It actually works really well.

For the back I have a pitbull spool stand. I love the combo. The bike sits on the rear stand at all times, and the front and rear is actually really stable too.

Then if I need to work on the forks or such, I can lift the front up with my front stand, slide jack stands under my frame sliders, and then drop the front onto the stands. Beats the cost of a triple tree stand.

A motorcycle lift would be nice but you do realize it would lift the bike from the wheels right?

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
My fork lift doesn't get in the way of removing the front wheel, and it's just one of the cheap "trackside" models you can get at cyclegear. It actually works really well.

For the back I have a pitbull spool stand. I love the combo. The bike sits on the rear stand at all times, and the front and rear is actually really stable too.

Then if I need to work on the forks or such, I can lift the front up with my front stand, slide jack stands under my frame sliders, and then drop the front onto the stands. Beats the cost of a triple tree stand.

A motorcycle lift would be nice but you do realize it would lift the bike from the wheels right?
Hey that’s..
Anyway, my front stand gets in the way of the axle nut and axle. I guess my question is, why have two stands when one center lift will do the same thing? Is a center jack too unstable for cranking on wheels, or not suited for a sportbike? Has anyone had experience using one?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure you're lifting the front fork correctly. Unless the front stand you have is an eBay special it should not block access to the axle nut because that would be, well, really dumb engineering.

I thought the same thing when I first got my budget ones and it turned out I was lifting incorrectly.

Center lift has some downsides:

More expensive
Takes up more room in often cramped garages
Not as fast for routine chain lubing etc.
Often bike specific so not as versatile if you have multiple bikes
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Pocketbike Racer

The stand should clear the axle. That's what it's designed for. Make sure one pad is UNDER the fork and the other pad is BEHIND the fork. Don't try to straddle them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
The stand should clear the axle. That's what it's designed for. Make sure one pad is UNDER the fork and the other pad is BEHIND the fork. Don't try to straddle them.
So that’s what mine look like, except on the other end of the axle where the nut is, there isn’t enough clearance to get the socket around the nut. I think I need two beers and some warm weather to sort this all out lol
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Not sure why you don't have enough clearance. There are some sockets that have thinner walls than others. You may want to try a different socket. This is the only picture I have showing the stand and the nut, not sure if the photo quality will be retained enough for you to zoom in on it, but there is ample clearance. I've since added axle sliders, so I can't take another photo for you. Good luck!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
If you are still looking for options, you can use a come-along attached to your ceiling and connect to your triple tree via handlebar tie down straps.

First time rider over 40. Finally made it!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

As I have posted in another thread, the front stand should be positioned aft of the axle when removing the front wheel. Simply position the padded studs on the caliper mounting boss.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Break the axle bolt free and remove it while the bike isn't on the stand...then just put your bike onto the stand to remove the axle
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Knee Dragger

Couldn't edit my last post to add more... but I would also suggest swapping that stand for a triple tree stand so that you can remove the forks for servicing if the need arises, just my 2cents
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Also if you have frame sliders it's very easy and very stable to lift from them using jack stands, in conjunction with a rear stand.

Makes for easy tire and fork/triple tree servicing

2003 Honda CBR600RR
- Renthal Sprockets (15/45) - DID 520ERV3
- Micron Slip on - Pair/EVAP delete
- SS front brake lines - Gilles Rearsets
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:32 AM
Pocketbike Racer

This works perfectly, very secure and no interference with regards to front wheel removal.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-Power View Post
Also if you have frame sliders it's very easy and very stable to lift from them using jack stands, in conjunction with a rear stand.

Makes for easy tire and fork/triple tree servicing
Quite true, I have done the same, rear stand first, then front stand, then carefully position a pair of SUV jackstands under the sliders, then carefully remove the front stand, gently lowering onto the jackstands. A tad sketchy but it works.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page