Need paint shop recommendations in the Chicago area - 600RR.net
Mid West A place for riders from the Mid West to set up group rides

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need paint shop recommendations in the Chicago area

My bike went down yesterday at like 5 mph over a patch of gravel. The rear fairing cracked, the mid fairing got a little rash, and my lower fairing got scratched up pretty bad. My right mirror is rashed up and my right frame slider is simply destroyed.

I'm going to do the repair work myself (fixing the cracks, sanding, prepping, etc...) but I need a shop to do some paint work for me. I might as well bite the bullet and get everything resprayed so it all blends together the right way.

Can anyone recommend some good paint/body shops in the Chicago area? About how much does it typically cost to repaint all the plastics?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i cant recommend shops there but i buy the paint from a shop here in SC, (around 125-175 depending on type.. my last was pearl white matte metallic 1 pint base and 1 pint pearl) actual painting will cost about 300. thats my experiences with it. but like i said, i bought my own paint to get exactly what i want. GL with the repair and hope you heal physically and mentally quickly!

"If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor."

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleshirt View Post
i cant recommend shops there but i buy the paint from a shop here in SC, (around 125-175 depending on type.. my last was pearl white matte metallic 1 pint base and 1 pint pearl) actual painting will cost about 300. thats my experiences with it. but like i said, i bought my own paint to get exactly what i want. GL with the repair and hope you heal physically and mentally quickly!

any pictures? I am planning on doing a white paint job and i'm just curious how your white matte/pearl looks

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
It actually wasn't me who put the bike down, but the person who did is doing just fine and wants to get right back to riding Thanks!

I'm considering getting some 11oz aerosol cans from Color Rite to just do the job myself. If I get primer, base, and clear, how do you think that will come out if I just did it myself? How many cans would I need to do all the plastics?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600ROOR View Post
any pictures? I am planning on doing a white paint job and i'm just curious how your white matte/pearl looks
nah not yet my friend. so far the painters i go to wont do the matte finish for me. say its too hard to do with the pearl effect. so i have to find a more reputable painter. or atleast one with more pearl/matte experience.

here's a lambo with the paint job... http://www.satincars.com/wp-content/...matt_white.jpg

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmannumber7 View Post
It actually wasn't me who put the bike down, but the person who did is doing just fine and wants to get right back to riding Thanks!

I'm considering getting some 11oz aerosol cans from Color Rite to just do the job myself. If I get primer, base, and clear, how do you think that will come out if I just did it myself? How many cans would I need to do all the plastics?
if you spray it yourself, it's always good to get a few more cans just in case. I used about 8 cans for my base coat and about 4 cans of clear coat and 4 cans or primer. make sure you take your time on the prep work because that's what makes the whole thing look good! not so much spraying it. spend a lot of time sanding and making the areas as smooth as possible before you lay down your primer and base coats. if you really want it to look nice, wet sand in between coats.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

i expect that to oly come out sub par... even under great conditions, humidity levels etc... spray bombing should only be a temporary fix IMO. it will take a LONGGGG time to apply all those levels of paint with the aerosol cans. good luck explaining to your SMAJ or top why the eff your hand is cramped like a mofo when youre done!!

um im guessing about 3 cans of primer. 4-7 of base if only single coating & doubling the lower fairings, and a few cans of clear. but seriously. halfway through you will get the "F$%^ it gene" in you and realize it sucks!! in this situation, its worth the patience and money to do it right.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Good information, thank you! I'll call a few places to see what they can do for me, otherwise I might just have to rattle-can it this time around.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

if you do decide to use spray paint, don't start doing it with the thought in mind that it won't look good. a lot of people just suck at using spray paint and they tell others that (in general) it looks bad. this is because they don't have the skills and knowledge of painting. instead, they rush through it and it looks like they used a roller brush. the only thing you need to worry about is the sanding portion. if it comes out decent for you, you've just saved $300! there're plenty of guys on here that have some pretty nice spray paint jobs on their bikes too. I'm pretty glad I didn't spend $500 to have someone paint my bike. either way, good luck!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
if you do decide to use spray paint, don't start doing it with the thought in mind that it won't look good. a lot of people just suck at using spray paint and they tell others that (in general) it looks bad. this is because they don't have the skills and knowledge of painting. instead, they rush through it and it looks like they used a roller brush. the only thing you need to worry about is the sanding portion. if it comes out decent for you, you've just saved $300! there're plenty of guys on here that have some pretty nice spray paint jobs on their bikes too. I'm pretty glad I didn't spend $500 to have someone paint my bike. either way, good luck!
Thank you! This makes me lean more and more to the idea of spraying it myself. Do you happen to have any pictures/threads of bikes that have been spray painted? I'm curious to see some of the results.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
nah not yet my friend. so far the painters i go to wont do the matte finish for me. say its too hard to do with the pearl effect. so i have to find a more reputable painter. or atleast one with more pearl/matte experience.

here's a lambo with the paint job... http://www.satincars.com/wp-content/...matt_white.jpg

ughh that color is pure sex! Hopefully you find someone who can do it for you.. I'm going to check with the guy who paints my cars to see if he could do this and I'll let you know if he can.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Some pictures of the damage. I already took the mids and lowers off of both sides just so one side isn't naked with the other looking good lol.

^temporary JB Weld fix until my new tank shows up next week.

The frame slider is destroyed. I have no idea how these things go on or which ones I need to buy now. Any help on that?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Thank you! This makes me lean more and more to the idea of spraying it myself. Do you happen to have any pictures/threads of bikes that have been spray painted? I'm curious to see some of the results.
hey, not a problem.
if you just do a quick search for rattlecan job or somehting of that nature you'll find a ton of bikes. some not good, others you wouldn't be able to tell if the were sprayed with a gun. this is mine which I painted last summer. the bike has changed a little since then, but the paint is still exalty the same... actually it's a lot nicer now that it has been waxed. Click image for larger version

Name:	calibot.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	20580
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Jmannumber7, the frame sliders can be found all over ebay for cheap. I found a set for my 03 for $17 shipped. I've crash tested them and they work GREAT. I bought another set for the hell of it...

anyways, you will have a pinch bolt which you will take out (you can see in it in your photo) then just loosen the bolt inside the slider and pull out the new slider and insert the new one then tighten up your pinch bolt again.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

That bike looks really good! And thanks again for the info. The only place I found online that sells OEM colors in a rattle can was Color Rite. I could have sworn there were some more sites, but I can't remember what they were off hand. Where did you get your materials?

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
That bike looks really good! And thanks again for the info. The only place I found online that sells OEM colors in a rattle can was Color Rite. I could have sworn there were some more sites, but I can't remember what they were off hand. Where did you get your materials?
thanks.
yeah, you could buy them online too. I just didn't want to spend money for shipping and whatnot. I actually bought mine at advanced autoparts. I used dupli-color primer along with premium automotive enamel and then enamel rustoleom clear coat. I've used so many different brands over the years and I can't really tell which one is better. I can say that I like rustoleom paint the best though, it lays on really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page